Sponsored by:

Watrranty question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 10:35 AM
PopsHD
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Watrranty question

I know we always joke about how the slightest modification will void our warranty. Seriously speaking, will the install of cams on my '14 Limited by my Indy mechanic void either the manufacturers warranty or my extended warranty?

Old 07-03-2014, 10:40 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 193 Likes on 170 Posts

My dealer always tells me, they do the work, I get same warranty

Old 07-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Puddles
I know we always joke about how the slightest modification will void our warranty. Seriously speaking, will the install of cams on my '14 Limited by my Indy mechanic void either the manufacturers warranty or my extended warranty?
Read pages 236 & 237 of your owners manual and decide for yourself. My guess is it will void the warranty on your motor/drivetrain.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:56 AM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 151 Likes on 131 Posts

Before having the dealer do the V/H pipes and SE tune/dyno i asked, they said no problem with the warranty. I think, but you must check, that if it is HD parts and or done my their shop the warranty is still intact.

Again i would, check, because i would not do anything to put my warranty or extended in jeopardy.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:21 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Slippery slope...

They have to prove that whatever you did caused the failure you're trying to get warranted.

THEY have WAY more money for lawyers than you do.....

If they know you have cams, there is a chance they will deny a warranty claim for certain things.

If the cams are added, and other engine mods support that, you shouldn't even need to think warranty. (*knock wood*) I've never had an engine or drivetrain issue looked at for warranty... some electrical stuff, a stereo and recalls, but cams wouldn't affect a wire rubbing through.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:32 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 68 XLCH
Before having the dealer do the V/H pipes and SE tune/dyno i asked, they said no problem with the warranty. I think, but you must check, that if it is HD parts and or done my their shop the warranty is still intact.
A LOT of SE parts are marked and sold "FOR OFFROAD USE ONLY"

Those words will compromise the warranty specifically to those parts, and parts "downstream" from those parts.

No matter what you dealer says, when it comes down to it, it isn't up to the dealer, they can SAY you're covered, and even THINK you are, but when MOCO looks at what they did, or are planning to do, warranty wise, they MAY deny claim.

I really hate the term "VOID THE WARRANTY"... as nothing you do technically "VOIDS" the warranty.
Modifications may preclude the warranty from covering certain failures, but the warranty on the rest of the bike is still intact.

I'm not arguing for nor against, just trying to take a reasonable approach...

Old 07-03-2014, 01:39 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 151 Likes on 131 Posts

I agree, what the rest of the conversation was V and H warranties their pipes for 90 days, and then he said but if there is an issue with them they work with us, ie this is not HD warranty. Now will the pipes F up the engine, most likely not, but as you said HD lawyers etc. 99 percent not a problem. The tune, he said was not a race tune, its a street tune so no problem. Again, i had the conversation and i feel pretty comfortable, and that is based on the relationship i have with the dealer, and i mean the owner.

I get the Pay to Play, i have two Turbo VW's that are totally stock, not chipped, because VW seals the ECU, they do not want you to tune the vehicle, so if you do you have an up hill battle.

Anyway, I love how it sounds and runs so reasonably speaking, nothing ventured nothing gained.

On another note my brother called me and said he was looking for a few things in our mother's basement and found my old Sportster license plate, from the 60's or early 70's (i don't know from what state, Alabama, Florida, Jersey, Virginia. Looking forward to him sending it to me.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:46 PM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Harley is at least posting recalls, we should be glad. GM has 48 recalls so far in 6 months of 2014. Are we good with free trade and foreign countries building (American ) vehicles yet.
I am not!

Old 07-03-2014, 02:57 PM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Your dealer might cover any problems, But what about a dealer 5 hundred miles from home... Will they go along with it , Or drop a dime on you to the Mother Company..??
That said, I do what I want, and worry about it later... Never had a problem.....

Last edited by rhino 2; 07-03-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:27 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

not a whole lot of labor involved in changing cams...why not spend a little more and have the dealer do it? that makes it hard to deny a claim based on improper installation.

Quick Reply: Watrranty question