Sponsored by:

Watrranty question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
not a whole lot of labor involved in changing cams...why not spend a little more and have the dealer do it? that makes it hard to deny a claim based on improper installation.
If you read the warranty section on page 237 in the owners manual it states adding performance enhancing parts even if installed by an authorized Harley dealer can void the warranty. It's the MOCO that decides what they will cover, not the dealer.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:39 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,354 Likes on 5,496 Posts

Explain it correctly. When a Dealer installs Cams or other SE parts yes the manufactures warranty that came with your bike is effected. However, the work done is then covered by the warranty for that work and parts. If some reason your cams failed 1000 the HD dealer there and yours will work it out.
Go to an Indy and install some after market cam ,you are on your own.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:33 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901

Go to a Harley Dealer and install some after market cams, you are on your own.

"Harley Dealers" ARE "Indy". They are independently owned and operated, under license from Harley Davidson.

They can tell you "oh yeah, I'll cover that".

Until the warranty dept. gets ahold of it and denies the claim. Do you think the dealer is going to eat the cost of a major repair? I don't care how good your "relationship" is with him, he's in business to make money.

And he may take a small hit in the spirit of good customer relations, out stinking standing.

It's all well and good when a dude pulls the queen out of the garage to go to bike night that one week when it's final between 80 and 82 degrees, and zero chance of rain for the next 9 days.

I ride.

What is the dealer 1000 miles from home going to do for you on aftermarket parts?

Probably offer to sell you new ones.

That's what credit cards are for.

Again, not arguing for nor against, just pointing out the possibilities....

Old 07-03-2014, 05:35 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

However, the work done is then covered by the warranty for that work and parts.
What warranty?

The 90 day warranty against manufacturers defects?

ALL I'm trying to say is Harley does NOT have your back.

THE CODE is for those of us out on the road... MOCO could give a ****.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:24 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior

Explain it correctly. When a Dealer installs Cams or other SE parts yes the manufactures warranty that came with your bike is effected. However, the work done is then covered by the warranty for that work and parts. If some reason your cams failed 1000 the HD dealer there and yours will work it out.
Here are parts of the 2014 touring owners manual warranty section. I've bolded some highlights that apply to this discussion:

Page 236:
Exclusions

4. Which has off-road or competition parts installed to enhance performance, or has other unapproved modifications (even if these modifications include genuine Harley-Davidson parts not approved for your motorcycle).

I believe most after market exhaust and cams say for off road use only. Including some Screamin Eagle parts.

Page 237:
Other Limitations

4. Defects or damage to the motorcycle caused by alterations outside of Harley-Davidson's factory specifications or caused by alterations or use of parts or accessories not approved for the make and model year of your motorcycle.

5. Damaged caused by installation or use of non Harley-Davidson components, even if installed by an authorized Harley-Davidson dealership, that cause a Harley-Davidson part to fail. Examples include, but are not limited to performance-enhancing power train components or software, exhaust systems....

Performance enhancing products would be anything that increases HP or Torque. Tuners and downloads would be software.

Even if the part that was installed doesn't fail, If a crank, compensator, clutch, transmission Ect. would fail they could say the part you installed caused the failure because the extra power it produced put increased stress on that part leading to the failure of the other part of the engine/transmission

You just have to decide for yourself what you believe is worth the risk. If your out of warranty and don't have an ESP it's a non issue.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:42 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Jeez Greg, sounds similar to what I said...

Only more official LOL

Old 07-03-2014, 08:16 PM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default So

So it doesn't say if dealer doesn't do the 1000 maint warranty null/void ?
Just thinking out loud.
Hap

Old 07-03-2014, 08:24 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

[QUOTE=rhino 2;12942169]Your dealer might cover any problems, But what about a dealer 5 hundred miles from home... Will they go along with it , Or drop a dime on you to the Mother Company..??
That said, I do what I want, and worry about it later... Never had a prob

And I pull trailers,and never removed the hitch or wiring.Never had a issue YET.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:55 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hapbob
So it doesn't say if dealer doesn't do the 1000 maint warranty null/void ?
Just thinking out loud.
Hap
Nope doesn't because they can't require it. Like was said before, the dealerships aren't owned by Harley. They are Basically an Indy that bought a HD franchise. You can do your own maintenance or take it to an Indy. You just have to keep all reciepts as proof it was done. Make sure it is noted on the receipt the date and milage it was actually done.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:27 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't keep receipts. I buy my oil by the case... sometimes 3 or 4 cases at a time.

(It really doesn't spoil)

I do, however, keep a detailed spreadsheet.

Quick Reply: Watrranty question