Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.3 Boom Box Question (Google Maps)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 09:51 PM
AR15TomJefferson
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.3 Boom Box Question (Google Maps)

Looking for ideas here for an unusual application. I have Google Maps on my Iphone which I use in my car via 1/8" aux input, listen to music on the Iphone then it will interrupt the music giving turn by turns, so I tried it on my 2014 Streetglide with the 4.3 Boom box. Tried is the keyword there.

What its doing is every time the Googlemaps program looks for an position update the radio acts like I'm getting a call from my own phone. It doesn't matter if I'm bluetooth or hardwired.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking i may have to turn the bluetooth off and just go with hardwired. What you think? Neat if I could keep all the features but that's not happening. I turn Google Maps app off, all the features work.

I didn't have a chance to try it. I rode from Charleston SC today in upper 90s temps, home being here in the Smoky Mountains. I did this whole tour without it but it would be neat. 40 years of looking at a map and memorizing a hour or so of turns is not that hard. Using Google Maps street view, you can even familiarize yourself with landmarks like right after the Waffle house.

Maybe I'm asking too much for this radio to act like a cheap car radio? When I asked the Low Country dealer technician who had no idea what I was talking about, he simply said I should have bought a 6.5". I didn't have the heart to tell the guy with a limp that I couldn't buy one without getting interlocking brakes and I'll never buy that. Years of racing bikes, I occasionally in a sharp turn like to be able to drift my back tire then power out. Interlocking brakes would present a problem doing that. Its not like I want to be looking at a map screen when riding either.

IN general, I love this radio. Like a video game, enough practice, you can do about anything you need to do using the toggles without even taking your eyes off the road, another reason I didn't want a touch screen. A lot of you guys must be better riders than me. I take my eyes off the road that much, I'd be the one with the limp. Anyway, I wanted it to play music and that it does great. I'm just into the finer points now.

Between Apple and Microsoft screwing with my life, I'd rather this radio didn't. As far as I know this is yet another Iphone update now this doesn't work thing, because it did for a while.

Tj

Old 07-03-2014, 01:18 AM
gotwages
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure what to tell you because my google maps app works fine when I am using it in conjunction with a music app such as pandora. I have never used the hardwired way with google maps but the Bluetooth has always worked fine. Is it a new iPhone or an older one? Is all the software on the bike up to date? Just throwing some ideas out there.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:26 AM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When it happens are you streaming music through your phone via iTunes, Pandora, etc? If you are listening to AM, FM, or streaming from a flash drive on the USB input it will interrupt. My car's Sync system will do the same thing.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:57 AM
AR15TomJefferson
Novice

All three really, mostly MP3s on the phone but the USB too.

What its doing is not interrupting to give the turn by turn but everytime the phone goes to the net to check position, it interrupts. That's like every 3 seconds or something like that. Occasionally, it will suddenly just start working.

It worked fine until my last Apple phone update.

I'll try re-pairing and see what that does for me. My bet is not radio but an Apple thingy.

Thanks for the input and even guesses at this point. Just knowing it should work is 90% of the battle.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:09 PM
mp535th
Tourer

Mine works fine with that. Bluetooth and hard wired. I have iphone 5