Sponsored by:

Nav software update fails

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 07:51 PM
Bohacker
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by offthewall
That has more to do with marketing than anything else. If Garmin sold stand alone units that then charged for updates, they'd be out of business much sooner than they already will be.

The standalone GPS market is dying, being quickly replaced by built-in vehicle systems on one end and smartphones on the other.

Very few people have the need for a standalone GPS unit today.

The in-vehicle systems have you by the *****, what are you going to do, rip it out and buy a new one or pay $100-$200 or an update? All my cars are the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
A fair point. None of my vehicles have a built in GPS except my SGS. Probably not gonna be able to say that much longer though. I travel for business quite a bit so really like the portability of the standalone GPS. And really, how important are yearly updates. My wife's GPS has lifetime maps but mine is a bit older. I'm living with 2010 maps with that unit and generally haven't had a problem. I guess it just feels like I'm being raped a bit. A minor rant, I still love my SGS.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:57 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Duffyone
In your steps to install, I didn't see that you unzipped the download file. Download the file from HD site, unzip it on your pc, tranfer unzipped file/folder onto your flash drive then put flash drive into your bike's usb port then go through the install process. You may have already done this, if so that's all I got. I had no problem updating software.
You may be confusing the Infotainment software update with the NAV software update, which uses the NaviExtras Toolbox to do the software updates? I think OP was referring to the NAV software? No zip file involved in the NAV updates.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:36 PM
kc hog
Tourer

BO-HIC-A

Bend over here it comes again!

Old 07-02-2014, 06:00 AM
Bohacker
Road Master

Originally Posted by kc hog
BO-HIC-A

Bend over here it comes again!
Thank you Sir, may I have another.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:49 AM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 151 Likes on 131 Posts

I have 3 VW's, two with Nav, since i have a history with the dealership, the salesman has given me two updates for the maps. VW charges 200 dollars, absurd.

I guess there were changes to the maps etc., but i have never recognized any.

Yes it is a built in system, nice display etc., but would i ever pay for updated maps, no way.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:08 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by offthewall

The in-vehicle systems have you by the *****, what are you going to do, rip it out and buy a new one or pay $100-$200 or an update? All my cars are the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
That's why a stand alone unit is always better, even if you have to pay for map updates, (which I never have) by the time maps are far enough out of date to really matter, you can get a new, better, faster, etc GPS for less money than the one you're replacing that has the latest maps.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:44 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by p51bombay
That's why a stand alone unit is always better, even if you have to pay for map updates, (which I never have) by the time maps are far enough out of date to really matter, you can get a new, better, faster, etc GPS for less money than the one you're replacing that has the latest maps.
Completely valid and true points but there is a convenience factor with a built-in system that the standalones can't compare to.

When I used a standalone on my bike, I often wouldn't have it attached and then suddenly wanted to just "get home" at the push of a button. No dice.

The voice and handlebar control of the Infotainment system is second to none IMHO.

Being able to see the turns ahead on an unknown road is priceless. Again, you can do this with a standalone but it's often not mounted when you suddenly have the desire for it.

Theft deterrent. You've got to unmount and stash the standalone at stops. Again making those spur of the moment uses impossible when you forget to re-mount it.

Overall, I prefer a build-in unit. If I have to pay for a map update, it's not the end of the world for the convenience of having the GPS always ready and well integrated.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:50 AM
Duffyone
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
You may be confusing the Infotainment software update with the NAV software update, which uses the NaviExtras Toolbox to do the software updates? I think OP was referring to the NAV software? No zip file involved in the NAV updates.
Oh, he wants an updated map database, not a software update; got it.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:16 PM
Matthew Alexander
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old maps

But when I buy a brand new 2014 bike I would expect the map to be at least this year not 2 years old

Old 09-09-2014, 01:05 AM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by SecondGear
Anyone get this error message while trying to update the NAV software?
Error: Nav_sync_NoNavContent
Here's what I did:
  1. attached an empty USB stick & did an Settings->Navigation->Export
  2. installed Navi software on PC
  3. inserted the USB stick into the PC
  4. Got the message "There is an urgent update" and followed the instructions to load the update onto the USB stick
  5. re-attached to the bike and turned turned ignition to accessory

It asks if I want to apply the update, I say yes, The update runs for a bit and then produces the error message. Anyone get past this?

I found on page in french that explains how to get past the error but google translate isn't the best... Here's the french page: http://www.passion-harley.net/t52054...re-et-utiliser
I tried doing this with a FAT32 formatted USB and I get a "Sync Failed" message. And there is nothing on the USB when checking it on the desktop pc.

Quick Reply: Nav software update fails