Do You Like Linked Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 08:41 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
I don't have any issues with mine.

I don't do anything different than I ever have. The only difference I notice is if I hit the rear first, the front lever is stiffer.
^^^This!

Old 06-29-2014, 09:17 AM
Yukon42
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TimLScheffer
http://www.springspreserve.org/apps/event/details.cfml?id=117I went all on the brakes to stop before he sideswiped me out of existence... I hit the front brake hard... the Linked ABS engaged so that I was able to maintain steering to steer right while exiting with him. I got stopped fast enough that he missed me... Had I been riding the conventional braking system, there is no doubt I would have ended up under the rear wheels of his trailer... I believe in Linked ABS... I believe in Jesus Christ...
If that had been me that truck jockey would have been talking to Jesus shortly after he stopped! Glad the system worked for you.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:57 AM
looneytune
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the linked brakes. They work much better than the std ABS that was on my '11 Street Glide. Those sucked.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:31 AM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Haven't felt the ABS kick in on this bike yet, but I have felt the "Linking" kick in twice when I was a little light on the front brake/heavier on the back...It was kind of reassuring. These brakes are better than the '13 RK brakes

Old 06-29-2014, 11:57 AM
motorcycleboy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The brake point definitely changes depending on which brake is applied first, but it becomes quite intuitive after a while.

The only change for me: since I ride police-style, I get a very different feel trying to use the rear brake to "drag" the bike into a corner, because the front is coming on too. I just wish the link point was a bit higher, say 25 mph instead of about 15.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:45 PM
Kilokato
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rockgeezer
Be aware that with the linked system, when you press on the rear brake only, front braking is ONLY applied to the left rotor AND not both up front. It's when you then add front brake after that the right rotor/caliper kicks in. May explain why you feel added braking when you follow up rear pedal with front lever since it then uses both rotors.
Interesting....That would explain the extra braking power when applying both brakes...

Old 06-29-2014, 07:50 PM
Kilokato
Tourer

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Maybe it's time for the op to take a riders edge refresher course and learn proper breaking. Asking the Mo Co to loose the advanced breaking system is like asking them to bring back the knuckle head.
Maybe you should take a refresher course on proper spelling before you question my riding abilities...My original post was an observation, not a request to do away with any braking system that I can recall...

Old 06-29-2014, 08:37 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the ABS/linked brakes. Also very smart of MOCO that the linked only kicks in over 25 mph. Great system.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:31 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I am already used to using the front brake than the rear or both. so now they both are applied using the front brake lever. I like it.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:59 AM
twitchcvma
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kilokato
I wish they would recall the linked brake system on my bike...2014 Streetglide.... I don't like it at all. I hit one brake, either one, and I go to hit the other and it's like the brakes really come on strong when I just wanna slow down a little bit.

What does everybody else think?
I had no ABS on my Yamaha road star. What I liked about non abs was when I was on a hill I could step on the rear brake. When the light went green I could keep my foot on the brake, throttle up and the bike would start to try and move. you could feel the bike kinda drop a little. Let the clutch out, give her some gas, and you start moving forward. No going backwards, no excessive revving of the engine. You just start moving. But no safety with no ABS. I locked up the binders a few times. That always sucks.
With the Wing it was 100% linked. As long as you had the rear brakes on the front binders were grabbing as well. The above scenario did not work. It was hard going up hill from a dead stop. Well, not hard, just not as easy as with non ABS.
With this HD system I have the best of both worlds. The ABS doesn't kick in til around 20 mph. So I am just moving in traffic they don't link. And if i stuck on a hill, I can do the rear brake thing and I love it.
If I am over 20 and coming to a stop, they link. Once I am almost to where I need to be I let loose of the binders for a second. ABS is no longer linked. Once stopped I have the benefits of non ABS and can do the above hill scenario.
Lots of hills where I live. If you live in a non hilly area, then perhaps you won't appreciate the ability to not coast backwards and excessively accelerate to go forward from a dead stop on a hill.
All that to say..yeah, I like this linked system on the HD's.
Your mileage may vary

Quick Reply: Do You Like Linked Brakes?