Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do You Like Linked Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 06:19 PM
fmgsr
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts

And there you go. That explains why the front appears to be alittle heavy.
Didn't know that Randy.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:19 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Kilokato
I wish they would recall the linked brake system on my bike...2014 Streetglide.... I don't like it at all. I hit one brake, either one, and I go to hit the other and it's like the brakes really come on strong when I just wanna slow down a little bit.

What does everybody else think?
I love the brakes...............

Old 06-28-2014, 06:33 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

The new Linked brakes took time for me to adjust too. At first I was braking too hard; Once I adjusted and learned to use the front brake lightly during most of my stops, I could not be happier. I still use the front and rear brakes, just lighter due to them working so much better. My last bike did not have ABS, the 14 brakes are a HUGE improvement.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:08 PM
Texas5858
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I really like ABS, and I am glad to know it will be there when I need it. I do like the link brakes on the BMW motorcycle better though.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:22 PM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 151 Posts

One of the best things they did. I like them.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:30 PM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I had the opportunity to need them... When you go all on the brakes, you retain steering and traction... A year and a half ago i encountered a drunk driver coming at me head on... When I went all on the brakes you know what happened next. Back in January I had a semi come across 3 lanes of traffic to make an exit on the freeway. I went all on the brakes to stop before he sideswiped me out of existence... I hit the front brake hard... the Linked ABS engaged so that I was able to maintain steering to steer right while exiting with him. I got stopped fast enough that he missed me... Had I been riding the conventional braking system, there is no doubt I would have ended up under the rear wheels of his trailer... I believe in Linked ABS... I believe in Jesus Christ...

Old 06-28-2014, 10:52 PM
blkrkg11
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Commuting in Atlanta traffic the linked ABS work great. My previous bike, a road king, did not have ABS. Panic stops from traffic checking up or someone cutting you off is far more controlled.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:29 PM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kilokato
I wish they would recall the linked brake system on my bike...2014 Streetglide.... I don't like it at all. I hit one brake, either one, and I go to hit the other and it's like the brakes really come on strong when I just wanna slow down a little bit.

What does everybody else think?
Love mine I have ABS ON MY 10 SG AND THINK THE 14 is even better wth linked brakes

Old 06-29-2014, 07:13 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 198 Likes on 168 Posts

Maybe it's time for the op to take a riders edge refresher course and learn proper breaking. Asking the Mo Co to loose the advanced breaking system is like asking them to bring back the knuckle head.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:58 AM
Hogwallop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another big fan of the ABS linked brake system here. The first several rides I found the front brakes grabbing harder after first using the foot brake pedal and then after, using the front hand brake. I changed the sequence of braking to use the front hand brake first and then use the pedal brake next. This eliminated the front brake grabbing feeling as previously described.

When I hit the wheel assembly that broke off a trailer, which came off an overpass bridge and fell onto Interstate 95 in March, my Road King Custom was side ways from the back brake being locked up. Without ABS, this caused the bike to lose steering control. I had no idea where the tire/rim/brake drum was going to land as it came out of the sky. The only option I had was to slow down as much as possible which caused wheel lock up. From 75 mph to what witnesses stated that I hit the wheel assembly around 60 mph as it then ejected me off the bike and onto the Interstate.

There was no way I was buying another bike without ABS. I feel safer now with ABS on the SG. At least I don't have to worry about wheel lock up causing the bike to go sideways and taking away my ability to maneuver when needed. If I released the brakes on the RK while the back end was sideways, I would have been ejected off the bike at high speed as well. ABS will allow me to steer around objects while hard on the brakes to minimize impact speed. I wouldn't buy another bike without it and I have no issues with the Linked System.

Quick Reply: Do You Like Linked Brakes?