Sponsored by:

Anybody regret buying a '14?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 10:17 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by streetglide clyde
I regret it right now.....to have a vibration issue and to have the dealer tell me it's the aftermarket exhaust and windshield causing the problem, and to have the MOCO tell me they can't get involved because of the same, kind of leaves a bad first impression. This is my first Harley, not real happy with it right now......
Put the stock parts back on and tell them to fix it.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:54 AM
deltapapa
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traded my Goldwing in on the 14 FLHTK, I never thought I would say this and I have had to eat some crow but I like the Harley BETTER then my Goldwing. GF likes the rear seat better to.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:29 AM
flhxmc
Tourer

2 years ago I got my dream bike, it was a 2013 streetglide. I loved it, since I had a touring bike my wife started to ride more. She loves to ride but said the detachable backrest was not cutting it. Since she basically decided not to take the motorcycle course I thought about upgrading.

So about 2 months after the decision to look into a 2014 ultra I had bought one. I ordered with the premium radio and security. I could not believe the difference. The ultra was a hell of a lot heavier and I had a hard time at first adjusting to that and the linked brakes. Despite those two initial things, I cant stop smiling and feeling how thankful I am to have the ultra. I mean I enjoy riding it ALOT!

I would not have bought the ultra if it were not for the the upgrades cause they did a lot to them and basically got rid of all the little things that bothered me about it...ie the lollypop turn signals etc, yes that would have kept me from buying one.

One other initial thought was how much heat came off the engine, I also thought it ran noisy and pretty crappy from factory. The first thing I did was add the D&D fatcat and Arlen Ness big sucker and that took care of the heat and as for how it ran, I re-licensed my powervision and dropped a tune in her and now she is performing well. I am really not impressed with how they run from factory in my opinion.

I cannot stress how well I enjoy riding and owning my 14 ultra. I am glad I made the upgrade regardless of the few initial, I will call them observations because they really were not problems.

Mike

Old 06-29-2014, 11:31 AM
flhxmc
Tourer

Originally Posted by deltapapa
Traded my Goldwing in on the 14 FLHTK, I never thought I would say this and I have had to eat some crow but I like the Harley BETTER then my Goldwing. GF likes the rear seat better to.
You are the second person I have heard say this. I thought to myself that if would be really hard for a Goldwing owner to convert due to the noise and heat from the engine, but its good to know that Harley seems to be making the right steps and that you enjoy your Limited.

Mike

Old 06-29-2014, 11:33 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

10% heavier. I have never really noticed the difference.

2013 StreetGlide, 811 lbs. http://www.harley-davidson.com/conte...de.html#!specs

2014 Ultra Limited 896 lbs. http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ed.html#!specs

Old 06-29-2014, 01:10 PM
motorcycleboy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BadgerBoy
Thinking about trading in my '09 ultra for a '14 ultra or limited.

I'm just not very confident in the nav/radio system or the liquid cooling. We travel two-up a fair bit (12-15000 a year) and being confident in my ride is a big factor in enjoying the trip. So the question I'm faced with is stick some $ into my 09 or stick more $$$ into a 14?

So was the 14 worth it to you? Do you regret your purchase at all? Should I just wait for the 15s?

And don't say get a gold wing ... Ain't gonna happen
You crazy? This was a BIG year for Harley touring.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:46 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

I regret it right now.....to have a vibration issue and to have the dealer tell me it's the aftermarket exhaust and windshield causing the problem, and to have the MOCO tell me they can't get involved because of the same, kind of leaves a bad first impression. This is my first Harley, not real happy with it right now......
Why don't you put the stock exhaust and windshield back on? Maybe they're right? Or you'll prove them wrong and then they can fix the issue.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:20 PM
streetglide clyde
Advanced

Originally Posted by offthewall
Why don't you put the stock exhaust and windshield back on? Maybe they're right? Or you'll prove them wrong and then they can fix the issue.
Stock parts back on, vibration still there, going back to dealer tomorrow....just wondering what song and dance I'll get this time!!!

Old 06-29-2014, 05:39 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Stock parts back on, vibration still there, going back to dealer tomorrow....just wondering what song and dance I'll get this time!!!
What type of vibration are you having?

Harleys do vibrate and shake like hell. It's part of the charm.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:44 PM
Zeus55
Road Master
Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

Never had any problem... just turned 7,000 km and zero issues.
The best bike I ever got.
But don't take my word for it... try it for a good ride and you will love it!

Quick Reply: Anybody regret buying a '14?