Sponsored by:

Anybody regret buying a '14?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 09:17 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaux
Really, who is going to admit the regret of buying $27K motorcycle?
I completely admitted that buying my 07 CVO Ultra for $35K was a mistake. The first time I took the bike on a long ride I was disappointed with the excessive heat, engine pinging, comfort issues and handling. I felt really let down by the motor company. Spent thousands putting band aids on the bike and then traded on a 14 Limited. I was let down by the original coolant leaks; once that was fixed with the new filler neck the bike has been pure joy. All my issues with the 07 were corrected with the Rushmore plus more.

One thing I have noticed about forums, if a model year has issues and people regret the purchase, it comes out. Take a look at the post following the 07 touring sales, owners are quick to post discontent. Fortunately, this year the owners have been posting how much they love their Rushmore.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:02 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by buzdean
Went from an '85flht to a '14ultra--after almost 3K miles no real issues--don't like the interface on the infotainment system but will get used to it I suppose--great power and I like the tall first gear--maybe needs a seat backrest---- Other then buying an occasional tshirt hadn't been in a dealer for 30yrs(at least)---more change there then on the bikes!
Just curious, what do you like about a tall first gear?

That's one of the couple of minor things that I don't like about my 2014. I feel it requires too much staying in the friction zone for slow speed maneuvers. I feel first gear should me MUCH lower, allowing easier slow speed maneuvers without riding the clutch so much. There are 5 more gears to cover the rest of the range. I see no reason at all for such a tall first gear.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:09 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Riding that friction zone allows MUCH greater control at very slow speeds.

If you could not ride the friction, i.e., fully in gear, you would lose the benefit of the gyroscopic action of the engine.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:17 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
Riding that friction zone allows MUCH greater control at very slow speeds. If you could not ride the friction, i.e., fully in gear, you would lose the benefit of the gyroscopic action of the engine.
Still not getting it. Lowing the first gear wouldn't prevent you from riding the clutch at very slow speeds when desired but it would allow you not to ride the clutch when cruising a parking lot in a straight line etc. There is no need to be able to stay in first and ride the clutch at speeds of 30 mph.

I drive a manual jeep off road. When doing slow rock crawls, I can be in low low and get out of the jeep and walk next to it in first. If I need to be in the friction zone at a higher speed than first allows, I shift to second. Having the low first is useful and you loose nothing since you can use the next higher gear if you need to stay in the friction zone at higher speeds than first allows.

Last edited by offthewall; 06-28-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I traded my 09 ultra for a 14Limited & I have no regrets

Old 06-28-2014, 06:51 PM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 193 Likes on 170 Posts

I think the 1st gears are a little to tall also, can't just putt down the drive, but i'll get by

Old 06-28-2014, 08:02 PM
ultramotive
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't regret it. I'm disappointed I had an oil leak after 3400 miles. It's been repaired and hopefully I will not have that again. Generally I think this motorcycle is fantastic. It is my first HD so I can only compare to my previous metric bikes which it beats without question.

I agree that first gear is tough. I noticed that from my first test ride. I understand no
w that it is because it is a high first gear. I think it very minor. You get use to it.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:28 PM
buzdean
Cruiser

Originally Posted by offthewall
Just curious, what do you like about a tall first gear?

That's one of the couple of minor things that I don't like about my 2014. I feel it requires too much staying in the friction zone for slow speed maneuvers. I feel first gear should me MUCH lower, allowing easier slow speed maneuvers without riding the clutch so much. There are 5 more gears to cover the rest of the range. I see no reason at all for such a tall first gear.
I like being able to take off from a stop sign, zip across a lane(or two) of traffic and make the corner without having to shift--seems smoother

Old 06-29-2014, 08:34 AM
streetglide clyde
Advanced

I regret it right now.....to have a vibration issue and to have the dealer tell me it's the aftermarket exhaust and windshield causing the problem, and to have the MOCO tell me they can't get involved because of the same, kind of leaves a bad first impression. This is my first Harley, not real happy with it right now......

Old 06-29-2014, 09:24 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 761 Posts

I bought a new Switchback in 2013 and regretted it, after 5000 miles traded it in on the bike I should have bought to begin with. Rushmore had nothing to do with my decision, it was just icing on the cake. In my User CP I just changed my Location to Everywhere, because that's where I'm going to be riding this bike.

Quick Reply: Anybody regret buying a '14?