Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody regret buying a '14?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 08:55 AM
jkane13
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got about 3,500 miles so far and was at the State Rally last weekend riding around. There were quite a few bikes with mail slots in them. I see you are from Wi, were you there?

I am satisfied with my 2014 Limited. I traded up from a 2000. I was very happy with that bike too. I can't say this one handles so much better like other say. I think they handle about the same. Both are big and bulky! Power wise, I am satisfied so far. Wait another month when we go on our first long camping trip pulling our trailer. Then I will know if I am happy with the power curve on it.

I have had no coolant problems. The bike does seem a little cooler on the legs. But, it also has the vents on the wings and on the lowers. Those are easy aftermarket items, but I did not have them on my old bike. I am liking them a lot.

There are only 2 things I don't like. First is 1st gear. Could be that all 6 speeds have this problem. It is geared way too high. It idles at 10 MPH and that means it almost kills the engine if you are not riding the clutch when slow riding and taking off.

The other is the ever so popular complaints about the GPS. I really am frustrated with it. I use it every day to force myself to be familiar with it so I can have it working when I need to. I am not confident that they will ever really fix the problems either.

I do not at all regret getting a 2014. The closest I come to regret is selling my 2000. That bike ran great. I kind of miss it. But I miss it less and less every day. Besides, I really could not afford this new bike outright. I needed the money I sold my 2000 for to help pay for it.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:06 AM
njstreetglide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

14 sgs its my first harley and first touring bike and i love it. rode 1800 miles to tail of the dragon and it rode like a dream. just got back from laconia and loved every bit of it. i have had no issues with the bike or the info system.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:31 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jkane13
I can't say this one handles so much better like other say. I think they handle about the same. Both are big and bulky!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

It idles at 10 MPH and that means it almost kills the engine if you are not riding the clutch when slow riding and taking off.
I believe these 2 statements are related.

I would highly recommend an advanced riders course, such as "Ride Like a Pro".

My bet is that would help with both issues.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:47 AM
BILLL1121
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Traded a 2013 CVO Ultra for a 14 Limited. No regrets. This is the nicest bike Harley has ever made.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:59 PM
harleymike77
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is my 7th Harley, and hands down the best one ever. Absolutely no regrets!

Old 06-27-2014, 03:19 PM
BadgerBoy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well thanks everyone ... going to weigh out all the options this weekend: ultra vs limited / buy now vs waiting.

Good to know that most everyone is very happy with their 14s though - very encouraging

Originally Posted by jkane13
... was at the State Rally last weekend riding around. .... I see you are from Wi, were you there?
No, we didn't make it to the state rally this year.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:37 PM
dougyf
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You may want to wait a month for the 15's to be released. The dealer show is usually towards the end of July and the new bikes start shipping the next day. The 14's were released on August 20th last year, almost a month later than usual.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:28 PM
sectime
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I traded a 2007 RoadGlide, went to the dealer to buy a 2012 Roadglide Ultra from their rental fleet. After looking at the Limited then the RG, I left with the Limited. I was torn between the 14 Road King and Ultra, but after adding up the pieces to make the Road King tour ready the Limited is a deal. Some people said to wait for the 15's, no reason to, for me, and I'm riding NOW!!

Old 06-27-2014, 04:58 PM
ADVNTR
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

14 FLHTK is their best touring bike by far since I started riding them in 1995. What a sweet ride!

This is #7, 300,000+ miles between the 7.
I traded a 09 ultra with 40,000 miles.
1st, 2nd and last 3 are from the same dealer.
4 have had recalls

All new models have some issues...get over it and ride.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:22 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
I believe these 2 statements are related.

I would highly recommend an advanced riders course, such as "Ride Like a Pro".

My bet is that would help with both issues.

I've been riding for 40+ years. I've taken the MSF advanced riders course a couple of times but I agree with jkane13.

First gear is too high on these bikes. My FatBoy wasn't geared that high. I see no real reason for it either. I know how to ride the friction zone but why should I have to for SO long and at such speeds? First gear should be more of a crawler gear, jeeze there are 5 more to handle the rest of the range.

Oh and reverse would be nice for my old legs.

But NO, I do not regret buying my 2014 Limited but nothing I've ever owned is perfect in every way.

Quick Reply: Anybody regret buying a '14?