Sponsored by:

Wind shield pouches

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014 | 12:34 PM
hapbob
|
Road Master
Default Wind shield pouches

For the rushmores with air vent does any one have storage windshield mount pouches? What works what doesn't ? I see them at dealer for $130 ! Wowsa
Inputs welcome.
Hap

Old 06-26-2014 | 01:02 PM
spr0k3t
Tourer

There's quite a few threads about the set up with the mail slot. Some like it, some hate it completely, some tear up the pouches and mount them in other locations. I've tested it myself and it definitely affects the buffeting for the passenger. Would be nice if someone like Capn' Itch came up with a two pouch option.

Old 06-26-2014 | 01:21 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by spr0k3t
Would be nice if someone like Capn' Itch came up with a two pouch option.
I'd buy one!

Old 06-26-2014 | 02:41 PM
Solex
Cruiser

I put the fairing pouch, 93300054A , on just the other day, with a 7" and a 9" windshield to see which I liked best. the pouch does change the airflow with the vent but it doesn't direct it in my face, all the air still goes over my head. Only tested it up to 75 but seemed good at that speed no dig difference in airflow or buffeting.
So for me I like it, and like having the storage I can reach.

Old 06-26-2014 | 07:29 PM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior

Check the outer pouch's, not much room for anything with them, air flow does change a little , but not in a bad way, without the pouch, I can light a cig on a calm day, with it I cannot, so there is a little difference, I also know they updated the pouch;s ,for the 14's, but don't know the difference

Old 06-26-2014 | 07:48 PM
Rockgeezer
Tourer

This item has been discussed in lots of threads on here. If you search those threads you will find tons of opinions. As I mentioned in those previous threads, here are my findings and opinions.

HD states they reduced buffeting by approximately 20% using these new vents. I agree with that and there is a noticeable reduction you can tell by opening and closing the vent at speed. After I installed the windshield pouch, there is a bit of air coming at you around the chin/neck area (at least for me), and by opening and closing the vent at speed, I can still notice a wind reduction but it's about half of what it was before the pouch. Therefore I believe it's still reducing the turbulence but maybe only 10% from a non vented fairing.

The pockets are fairly small but I am carrying a few cigar lighters, cutters, ear plugs and things in the two outer pockets and some reading glasses, Advil, pen, small flashlight and change in the middle pocket. I also removed the foam in the media player compartment and can carry a small case for my registration and insurance card in case of traffic stops, along with my thumbdrive and a few cigars for additional storage space at arm's reach.
I have had windshield pouches on most all of my previous bikes and have gotten so used to them, it's something I like on my 2014 for the convenience and don't think I would ever remove. It's such a subjective item and as mentioned above, some hate it and some love it. It's a compromise between less vent utilization and pouch convenience. Kinda comes down to which one you prefer more.

Last edited by Rockgeezer; 06-26-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-27-2014 | 05:46 AM
hapbob
|
Road Master
Default Yea Yea

How about anyone know of a two pouch with middle open? Or could one modify one to remove the middle pouch to not mess with flow?
I just need a small area for reading glasses and stuff?
Hap

Old 06-27-2014 | 08:42 AM
jkane13
Tourer

I am very satisfied with the HD one. There is always buffeting! The mail slot does not change that. Unless ... and I finally tested this theory the other day ... you are riding with your face down and right behind the windshield. Then I can see where the mail slot may make a difference. When I ride sitting straight up comfortably, there is always wind in my face, and I like it that way.

So, if you are one to lean forward and keep your face behind the windshield, then maybe you might not like the pouches. If on the other hand, you sit back and look over the top of your windshield, then get the pouches. They hold a set of glasses in the middle, a garage door opener in one side, and some chapstick, dental floss, and a couple paper towels in the other side. Works out just right for me.

Old 06-27-2014 | 09:38 AM
New Adventures
Intermediate
Default Pouches

After having the 3-pouch on the 03 Anniversary and moving to the 14 Limited, realized they are a benefit for the small stuff. Will have to try the fit on the 14; Also now miss the lower fairing boxes, but passenger will now leave "more" stuff at home , since I can't leave her;

Attached Thumbnails Wind shield pouches-img_1104.jpg   Wind shield pouches-limited.jpg  
Old 06-27-2014 | 11:52 PM
fmgsr
Road Master

I'd be happy just to have the dummy door to the left of radio open for a little storage.

Quick Reply: Wind shield pouches