Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jcapps
I would never buy a used bike with a tuner
Me neither.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:28 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dealer download worked great with my 2011 96" RK. Stock head pipe and a/c, but added slip-ons (both American Custom and then V&H Monster Rounds). With both of those, I got a lot of decel pop, and an occasional backfire. Didn't do that very long before having the download done. Bumped the rev limiter up out of the way, bike ran noticeably cooler (noticed because it rarely kicked in the EITMS after that, and made that bike scream! What used to struggle to get to 100 mph, easily hit 115 after the download and just wanted more.

So those that say it isn't worth the cost ($150 at my dealer) don't know what they're talking about.

I will be doing it again after I gut the cat, or change the exhaust. Whether I do the a/c or not.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:56 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Yep

I'm trying to learn here...But isn't a power vision tuner that flashes the ECM with a map with better (less EPA) the same thing as a Harley dealer flash? And isn't an autotune going to dial in your bike to mods and conditions of your specific bike? Or are you saying the Harley Flash has the engineering of Harley behind it so it has to be better more trusted?
I love this place, where else can you get the opinions of so many smart people.
Hap

Old 06-26-2014, 07:03 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by hapbob
I'm trying to learn here...But isn't a power vision tuner that flashes the ECM with a map with better (less EPA) the same thing as a Harley dealer flash? And isn't an autotune going to dial in your bike to mods and conditions of your specific bike? Or are you saying the Harley Flash has the engineering of Harley behind it so it has to be better more trusted?
I love this place, where else can you get the opinions of so many smart people.
Hap
For those of us that ride, have ESP & plan to keep our bike for a long time, anything we do/change that affects warranty claims must be considered carefully before proceding. HD download keeps warranty intact, aftermarket tuner, technically, does not.

If EPA ever decides to push enforcement on us, the aftermarket industry will definitely be targeted. Hope this never happens, cuz choice is good & keeps oem in the chase for aftermarket power upgrades.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:49 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default So

I finally installed the Xied. I rode it 5 hours the day before and I feel installing these the next day really gave me the proper feedback. I feel they did help in areas that I wanted. Throttle response Like holding a steady speed in lower gear much better. The take off from stop less throttle needed to get moving. Lugging it is easier although I'm not trying to do that...it happens now and then. I didn't notice cooler or extra HP hummph That's all I have and I started this poll so wanted to get it to top for people to revisit if they want. I'm happy for now.
Hap

Old 07-08-2014, 11:53 AM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 151 Likes on 131 Posts

Pipes, air filter, tune, dyno

Old 07-08-2014, 11:59 AM
Kilokato
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcapps
Well the moco outspends the aftermarket 100,000 to 1 in engineering. Granted they comply with epa regulations but the stage one HD download works great on my bike. The folks I have seen with tuners have not done so well. That's not to say everyone has an issue just the ones I met off the forum.

A friend recently sold his 2014 with 4k miles. He had a tuner he added after 2000 miles of riding with aftermarket ac and header. His piston is probably burned 1/2 through. I would never buy a used bike with a tuner
I would think that with a true poll it would be nice to see all opinions
Ditto....I've got way too much money invested to go screw with settings I know nothing about. My 103 runs great for me and I want the motor to last as many miles as possible. I do have after market slip-ons only. If I did ever do anything else it would be at the dealer. But that's just my opinion and $$$ interest.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:08 PM
wlibert
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011FXDC
Back on topic

Still stock. Just have slip-ons, stock catted head pipe and stock AC. Probably going to stay that way.
I have Screamin' Eagle Street Cannons on mine. I was told that if I didn't change the AC that I didn't need to do anything to it in regards to a tune/download.

I have some decel popping from 2000-2300 rpms. From what I've read, the stock mufflers are built in such a way that the decal popping was present but the design of the stock mufflers muffled it. Imagine that, a muffler muffling.

I have a Power Vision I used on my last bike, which wasn't stock from an AC, header, and muffler standpoint. I am going to use that on my 2014 FLHTK to tone down the decal popping a bit and then call it a day.

Other than the slip-ons I am staying stock.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:51 PM
Elmicko
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this goes against popular opinion, but this bike as plenty of power and I'm not finding it lacking anywhere. I'm going to run her completely stock. That being said I'm all about adding bling to the girl!

Old 07-08-2014, 01:11 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kilokato
Ditto....I've got way too much money invested to go screw with settings I know nothing about. My 103 runs great for me and I want the motor to last as many miles as possible. I do have after market slip-ons only. If I did ever do anything else it would be at the dealer. But that's just my opinion and $$$ interest.
So based on your statement above you should get your bike tuned not leave it stock. The stock tune is much leaner than a bike with a proper dyno tune... Thus resulting in more heat generated, higher chance of pre detination, and quicker break down of the oil. All of these would be harmful to the motor and could shorten the life of the engine compared to a properly tuned engine. HD has to run these air cooled engines leaner and leaner every time the EPA makes their regulations tighter. I believe eventually HD will be forced to go fully water cooled engines like in the Street 500 and 750 to continue to meet EPA regulations without the engines overheating.

Quick Reply: Tune your lean motor