Sponsored by:

exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 07:26 AM
twitchcvma
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default exhaust question

I was going with fuel moto's complete pipe, the headers and mufflers.
If I am going to change the header should I also swap out the mufflers?
If I change the header and leave the muffler is it going to alter the sound from stock? I want to go deeper, but not obnoxious. I really just want to get rid of the cat.
I guess in a nutshell, what happens if I leave the stock muffler, but punch a hole in them, and just swap out the headers? I will save about $350 on pipes, but what is the end result?
Thanks to all

Old 06-24-2014, 07:44 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 251 Posts

So let me share my experience.
My '11 Street glide was FM header with stock exhaust and right side punched out. Awesome sound, many compliments. Not too loud and a great rumble.
My '14 SGS, started with FM header and stock slip-ons. It needed sound, not very much increase with just the header, thought about gutting the stock slips on's but wanted a slightly different look vs the reduced outlet of stock. Went with the FM 4" jackpots and love the look and the sound. If you find them to be too loud, they make a baffle which can be easily installed to quiet things done a bit or a lot. your preference. I personally find FM components to be top notch and highly recommend

Old 06-24-2014, 03:22 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Removing the cat will give you a deeper sound but not much louder. For me it was hard to spend the money on FM's head pipe when it looks just like the stock pipe. If I'm going to spend $400 to $500 I want it to be noticeable! I went with the V&H power duals for that cool "X" design and the sound coupled with the 4" Rineharts was just awesome!!! Add the SE Ventilator and the SEPST and the power increase was very noticeable!

Old 06-24-2014, 10:22 PM
mhsmith451
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Joe, how is the balance of sound with the FM? Pretty close to equal out of both sides, more on the right?...I'm in my decision process...thanks

Old 06-25-2014, 08:37 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 251 Posts

I think that they are pretty balanced out... IMO

Old 01-01-2020, 07:57 AM
Mark Del
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sounds good

Originally Posted by twitchcvma
If I change the header and leave the muffler is it going to alter the sound from stock? I want to go deeper, but not obnoxious. I really just want to get rid of the cat.
I guess in a nutshell, what happens if I leave the stock muffler, but punch a hole in them, and just swap out the headers? I will save about $350 on pipes, but what is the end result?
Thanks to all
I have done many bikes like that to save people money try a set of wild pigs header pipes ( Daytona fla ) and tap out the end cap on your stock pipe You may get a lil decel pop in the end But will sound nice

Old 01-02-2020, 01:14 AM
londo-cat
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by twitchcvma
Thanks to all
I had the stock headers (with cat) for about 4 years now. Recently I had them changed out with the Vance and Hines Power Duals (Nevada edition) so no Cat in them. I also had the Vance and Hines Twin Slash Rounds as well. From the stock HD headers to the Power Duals - you can instantly tell it had more power - and a much deeper rumble as well. I like them a lot.

The following users liked this post:
Mark Del (01-02-2020)