Sponsored by:

Headlight alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 10:17 PM
jphillips63
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight alternatives

I'm unsure if this has been discussed, but I'm looking for an alternative to my headlight on my 14 ultra limited. On a straight road they are fine but where I live the headlight is junk. I live in the country with hilly and curvy roads and I'm constantly slowing way down on a road I ride everyday to just see in the middle of the turns. I'm always loosing the inside of the turn which is not good with the design of these new headlights. I never once had any issues on my 07 Heritage Classic riding thee roads at night. So I know it's not me. Any advice on what to replace my current headlight with is much appreciated.

James

Old 06-22-2014, 11:06 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Get your passing lamps flashed to work with your high beams.
Not an answer to your question, but a possible free solution if you haven't yet tried it.

I know what you're saying, I lived in Pound, VA (Wise county) and worked and spent a lot of time in SE Kentucky, Jenkins, Whitesburg, Pikeville...

Old 06-22-2014, 11:48 PM
rob5r1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to find something else also. I "upgraded" to the same light on my SGS, and you are right. . . . It is UNSAFE in the mountains at night. I never noticed how bad it was in the city. But I went to the dragon and tried to run it in the dark. Dangerously poor lighting.

Anyway, I'd like to find something that is black AND works.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:22 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

The TL PH 7 or HD Reflector. The reector is a bit more money but looks a little nicer installed.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-rushmore-models/972257-led-headlights-facts-and-opinion.html

Last edited by Rustrtal; 06-23-2014 at 04:28 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:49 AM
itnetpro
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We have lots of twisty roads in my neck of the woods. I actually thought the headlights on mu Ultra Limited were better then previous bikes I had. The only bike lights I thought might do a better job was the pivot ones that are optional with the BMW I was also looking at. I know I had to get the left lamp adjusted some. Is it possible maybe if you had them adjusted? The lamps on mine do a great job spreading the light for night cornering. Is your issue distance or spread?

John

Old 06-23-2014, 08:19 AM
HD-Gyro
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dark curvy roads

I'm reluctant to ride on dark roads at night. Deer are getting hit all the time and I want as much visibility as possible. The lighting is superb on the flats but around the curves it dips too much to keep any speed. My aux lamps have been changed to stay on with either hi or low headlights. If you find a solution, I'm interested as well.

Rustrtal, I couldn't get your link to work.

I brought this up with the dealer and he said I'm the first one to mention it.

Larry

Last edited by HD-Gyro; 06-23-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:51 AM
jphillips63
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did have the driving lamps flashed to stay on during high beam and low beam. The issue is these lights do not create a round beam, the beam is wide and squared going into a curve the inside of the curve gets lost while the outside curve of the beam is up in the trees. I've adjusted my lights so they weren't directly shining on the road in front of me so the distance as said is good. It's just a poor design of how the light makes a beam out in front. They need to be round so that no matter going straight or leaning into a curve there is always a beam on the road and out front and not just half of one.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:11 AM
nchogfan
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been preaching this sermon since the day I bought my Ultra Limited on November 6. These new headlights are dangerous. Adjusting them and programming the passing lights help but that in no way fixes the problem. The best solution I've tried so far is the Reflector Daymaker. It's not great but it's the best I could find. The TL7 is good too but didn't look right on my bike with this color.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:17 AM
GoGetter5832
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I added the Daymaker LED Headlight and just last weekend installed the Daymaker LED Auxiliary Lights as well. WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!! Just the Daymaker Headlight alone. I know EXACTLY what you guys are talking about when being on the back road. I IMMEDIATELY noticed it and felt uneasy. I had the Daymaker on my Wideglide and fell in love. I promise you, If you go Daymaker LED Headlight....You won't be disappointed and you will notice the difference IMMEDIATELY!

Old 06-23-2014, 03:06 PM
02BlueDeuce
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GoGetter5832
I added the Daymaker LED Headlight and just last weekend installed the Daymaker LED Auxiliary Lights as well. WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!! Just the Daymaker Headlight alone. I know EXACTLY what you guys are talking about when being on the back road. I IMMEDIATELY noticed it and felt uneasy. I had the Daymaker on my Wideglide and fell in love. I promise you, If you go Daymaker LED Headlight....You won't be disappointed and you will notice the difference IMMEDIATELY!
I'm pretty sure it's the daymaker they are complaining about.

Quick Reply: Headlight alternatives