Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 10:21 PM
Klakman
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just took my 14 limited in and asked them to adjust and add spots on. Here in NW Arkansas even with the above the curves and corners are BLACK. Not good with all of the deer around my neighborhood with not a straight road in it. I'm going to try to adjust but I believe there is a law about how much you can adjust them. At least that was true on my lights on my car which have the same horizontal line but not the side issue since the car isn't leaning (as someone else noted). Pretty bad for such an expensive light. Also in the day the light is great for being noticed IF they see you head on. Too the side...not so much.

Just sayin.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:45 PM
mdtpr
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Followed my buddy on his new Ultra at night on a twisty mountain road and thank god I was behind him with my 08 Ultra Anniversary to light up the rest of the darkness....those lights down right suck. The lights are his ONLY negative on the new bike, otherwise, he is tickled to death with it.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:22 AM
New Adventures
Intermediate
Default Daymaker

I have not noticed the night problems, but have had others tell me that they can not tell if my headlight is on when I am behind them and also had a 4 wheeler tell me that it was not on as I approached. I alway ran my 03 with the passing lights on day or night. Anyone else experiencing this?

Old 07-15-2014, 09:21 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by New Adventures
I have not noticed the night problems, but have had others tell me that they can not tell if my headlight is on when I am behind them and also had a 4 wheeler tell me that it was not on as I approached. I alway ran my 03 with the passing lights on day or night. Anyone else experiencing this?
If you're running LED the headlight/spots IMO is hard to see during the day at some angles and looks to be off. I like my LED setup (spots & headlight) but not so much if I wasn't running Motolight's too which is what everyone says they notice first. At night I have zero complaints about my setup.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:12 AM
BadgerBoy
Novice

Ok guys ...
I just bought a '14 limited. These come stock with Daymaker projectors and led passing lamps.
I have adjusted the headlamp per the manual (in fact there was no more up adjustment left). I have also had the passing lamps programmed to burn all the time. I have not yet tried adjusting the passing lamps due to the special socket required.

In short ... these lights suck for curvy roads at night.

You cant see anything on the inside of sharp curves. It's bad enough on residential cross streets, but at speed going down rural roads, it's unnerving. Add in some elevation change like a curve at the bottom of a hill and you might as well be wearing a blindfold.

What can be done to help this?
Has anyone swapped the projectors for the daymaker reflectors??
How about going back to halogen? Would this be possible given that the bike is wired for led?
How about adding fork lights? Not sure that these would really help cornering issues unless you aim them up (towards oncoming drivers eyes).

Kind of sucks, as led lights were a selling point for me.

Last edited by BadgerBoy; 07-21-2014 at 11:56 AM. Reason: added some info
Old 07-21-2014, 10:18 AM
GoGetter5832
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BadgerBoy
Ok guys ...
I just bought a '14 limited. These come stock with Daymaker projectors and led passing lamps.
I have adjusted the headlamp per the manual (in fact there was no more up adjustment left). I have not yet tried adjusting the passing lamps due to the special socket required.

In short ... these lights suck for curvy roads at night.

You cant see anything on the inside of sharp curves. It's bad enough on residential cross streets, but at speed going down rural roads, it's unnerving. Add in some elevation change like a curve at the bottom of a hill and you might as well be wearing a blindfold.

What can be done to help this?
Has anyone swapped the projectors for the daymaker reflectors??
How about going back to halogen? Would this be possible given that the bike is wired for led?
How about adding fork lights? Not sure that these would really help cornering issues unless you aim them up (towards oncoming drivers eyes).

Kind of sucks, as led lights were a selling point for me.
My buddy just bought a limited and feels the EXACT same way as you. I understand where the disappointment with these are but I still believe these LED lights and auxiliary lights are better than the halogen light that came with my 2014 SG. This is why I upgraded to the day makers. On straight and less curvy roads I believe the Daymakers are outstanding. I do see where it's not as good on the twisties but again, I find it better than the stock halogen mine came with.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:52 AM
BadgerBoy
Novice

I do agree that the led projectors work well on straights, better than the stock setup on my 09 ultra.

I'm starting to think that the ideal solution would be a mix of halogen and led. Perhaps halogen headlight with led projector spots for the ditches?

I've got a couple trips coming up and really need to figure this out pronto. Do not want to be caught riding unfamiliar twisties with my current set-up.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:34 AM
nchogfan
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I swapped in the Daymaker Reflector and I'm much more comfortable than with the stock Projector. It still is not anywhere close to what I was hoping for but I don't fear for my life with every turn. I have my spots programmed to burn all the time and even raised them as far as I could get them. It's better, but I really expected more from a whole new touring program. Harley got so much stuff right but completely dropped the ball when it came to the headlights.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:21 PM
BadgerBoy
Novice

Originally Posted by nchogfan
I swapped in the Daymaker Reflector and I'm much more comfortable than with the stock Projector. It still is not anywhere close to what I was hoping for but I don't fear for my life with every turn. I have my spots programmed to burn all the time and even raised them as far as I could get them. It's better, but I really expected more from a whole new touring program. Harley got so much stuff right but completely dropped the ball when it came to the headlights.
Did you swap just the headlight or the spot lamps as well?

Old 07-21-2014, 12:40 PM
OhioFLHTK
Intermediate

I told the HD dealer about the lights, and how dangerous they were. They told me that that was the first they heard of it. I had the HD dealer check and adjust the lights. The hi/lo beam were right on ( I adjusted them in my drive way after my first night ride, scared the s**t out of me) but the driving lights needed to be adjusted outward. The pattern is more of an upside down triangle now, still doesn't illuminate inside the turn as much as I want but it is better. Best of all is they did it for free during my 1K service. Probably spring for the Daymaker reflector when I get it back from getting repaired.

Quick Reply: Headlight alternatives