Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 02:29 AM
Jhugues
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before recommending the daymaker LED lights, one has to try them on twisty dark roads, as jppjillips63 reports, and you will find it dangerous. Daymaker are great during day time, great on straight lines at night like gogetter5832 mentionned, but they live horrible dark area in turns when leanning the bike. I have passing lights and beam on together on my 2014 CVO and The problem is real in the configuration we ride.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:49 AM
GoGetter5832
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhugues
Before recommending the daymaker LED lights, one has to try them on twisty dark roads, as jppjillips63 reports, and you will find it dangerous. Daymaker are great during day time, great on straight lines at night like gogetter5832 mentionned, but they live horrible dark area in turns when leanning the bike. I have passing lights and beam on together on my 2014 CVO and The problem is real in the configuration we ride.
Although I have had no problems driving in the dark roads with the Daymaker it seems as if some have. I would recommend looking at videos, talking to your dealer, etc. I will say however, the Daymaker is night and day compared to the new halogen lights they put on the 2014 Street Glides IMO. I was having the dark back road problems with the stock halogen that some are saying they are having with the Daymaker.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:57 PM
rollin_fatboy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoGetter5832
I was having the dark back road problems with the stock halogen that some are saying they are having with the Daymaker.
The dual halogen light is garbage. I put my '11 fatboy lo beside the '14 sgs. With the sgs on high beam it went as far as the Lo on low beam. Turned the bright on the Lo and it was ridiculous how much farther it shown. Even after adjusting the sgs light up, quite a bit in my opinion it just doesn't seem as bright to me.

It could just be I know how bad it was from the factory and can't get past that biased now, who knows. I know it was enough to make me decide on getting the LED reflector and putting the reflector auxillary lights on though.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:33 PM
AmberWhisky
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jphillips63
On the heritage classic I had before my new Rushmore riding the roads in my area at night was never an issue the light may not was the brightest but it projected a round beam of light and going into the turns I never lost the road as I do with this new generation of lights. Switchbacks may be a different story but right now my concern is just commute to home from work at midnight.
Check out below PDF link. It is a comparison of three headlights. TL-6, TL-7 and HD-LEDs.
In the write up it mentions the darkness in corners at night with HD LEDs.

http://bogiesreviews.webs.com/Review...ng%20Lamps.pdf

AmberWhiskey

Last edited by AmberWhisky; 06-25-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:56 AM
jersdunz
Stage I

<<<@!1!@>>>

Absolutely right this headlight IS going to get someone hurt, imagine those blind corners at night and there just happens to be huge bolder that slid off of a mountain and you don't see until your 30ft away... it scares the hell outta me. I live in the mountains of Idaho. blind corners commonly have tall ugly drop offs and tons of wildlife.. All those guys who talk them up either use aux lights or like you said haven't actually used them outside of the cornering my night train with no other lights is scary..

all we need to remedy the situation is a bizenon type high low setup that moves the cut off out of the way and
this guy may be slightly autistic..lol but you get the just of my point.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:47 PM
Yellow Glide
Advanced

Does anyone put PIAA lights on the forks or calipers? They have always helped me.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Yukon42
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Just got done with a 2k mile ride. Rode at night (2am) in the mountains of western Montana along the Idaho border sharing the road with only a few big rigs and a pickup here and there. Didn't have any problems with my day maker lights although they could have used a bit of adjusting. I merely slowed down for the conditions I was encountering. I would suggest that before someone plunks down money for replacement lights that they try adjusting them so they light the areas that concern them. I found that if I adjusted my headlight "up" that when I am leaned over in a turn it lights up the roadway so I can see further around the corner. Adjustment, gentlemen, I believe that is the answer. My mountain night riding strategy also includes riding behind a car or pickup and using THEIR headlights. Sitting 2 seconds behind a car gives you excellent visibility of their headlight pattern. They also run good interference for deer and other animals.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:59 PM
Yukon42
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Referring to my above post; I have ridden that stretch of roadway many, many times during the same time periods (2-3am) and can attest to the darkness of the roadway. I have ridden it on a Kaw 1500 classic with passing lights (marginal night lighting), V-strom with aux projector lights (a bit better than the kaw), an 07 BMW 1200RT with some BIG off road aux lights I hung on it (now THAT'S daylight!) and an 08 HD road glide with properly adjusted headlights (nearly as good as the BMW). I would say the lighting from my day makers on the Ultra Classic were pretty close to the RG. Like I said before; adjustment makes all the difference.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:35 PM
nsdhoward45
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Ni4w45w4 PLease

Originally Posted by GoGetter5832
Agree ONE MILLION PERCENT! Just added the Daymaker Auxiliary lights to my Daymaker Headlight. Took it for a spin last night and hit the interstate. When I turned on the Auxiliary lights it lit up all 3 lanes of the highway. It honestly makes me feel so much more safe because I feel as if I look like a car coming down the road to other motorists. I definitely recommend the Daymaker Set Up if you can do it!
Reallllly 1000% just what is 1000% is this the i want more mentality
In the world i live in 100% is 100% there is no more
Please enlighten me how there is more than 100% or is this some kind of ???

Old 07-09-2014, 08:02 PM
ultramotive
Advanced

I too felt the day maker on my ultra classic was not so good in the turns. I have
adjusted my lamp all the way up but have not ridden at night since last Fall. My
dealer would not set the aux lights to be on with hi beam. He gave me some gobbledygook
about being illegal in my state.

Quick Reply: Headlight alternatives