Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 10:17 AM
nchogfan
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I absolutely HATE the Daymaker projector that comes standard on these new Ultras and Limiteds. All the guys that like them need to take a good long ride out of town where there are no other light sources but your headlight. Ride the dark, curvy country roads. It can be down right unnerving because of the light pattern of this headlight. Yes, it's bright as hell but it just doesn't shine in the right place. There is almost no light at all on the inside of a curve once you get the bike leaned into it. Driving into a dark curve is no fun to me at all. Someone is going to get hurt because of this Daymaker headlight on a motorcycle. The light it is based off of was developed for a Jeep.....and Jeeps have 2 headlights and Jeeps don't lean in curves.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:30 AM
twitchcvma
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[quote=SafetyMan;12896522]Get your passing lamps flashed to work with your high beams.
Not an answer to your question, but a possible free solution if you haven't yet tried it.

please explain how one would "Get your passing lamps flashed to work with your high beams". I would love to do this. I thought it was a wiring issue.
Is this something the service techs can do at my 1000 mile service check?
Thanks

Old 06-24-2014, 10:46 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by twitchcvma
Originally Posted by SafetyMan
Get your passing lamps flashed to work with your high beams.
Not an answer to your question, but a possible free solution if you haven't yet tried it.
please explain how one would "Get your passing lamps flashed to work with your high beams". I would love to do this. I thought it was a wiring issue.
Is this something the service techs can do at my 1000 mile service check?
Thanks
Yes, you can no longer "rewire" the passing lamps to work with hi beams. It has to be done in the computer.

I do my own services, and save tons of money, but took my bike in and they flashed the computer for free. It's a matter of hooking it up to the digitech, and telling the BCM to do it.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:58 AM
Cattle-Dog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nchogfan
I absolutely HATE the Daymaker projector that comes standard on these new Ultras and Limiteds. All the guys that like them need to take a good long ride out of town where there are no other light sources but your headlight. Ride the dark, curvy country roads. It can be down right unnerving because of the light pattern of this headlight. Yes, it's bright as hell but it just doesn't shine in the right place. There is almost no light at all on the inside of a curve once you get the bike leaned into it. Driving into a dark curve is no fun to me at all. Someone is going to get hurt because of this Daymaker headlight on a motorcycle. The light it is based off of was developed for a Jeep.....and Jeeps have 2 headlights and Jeeps don't lean in curves.
I'm not in the Rushmore club yet, but I found this video that I think illustrates what you are trying to explain. I wasn't even exactly sure until I found this, but I see what you are saying very clearly now. The beam is tapers sharply at the edges and when turning one side tends to lift off the surface and the other pulls in next to your bike.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Jodad96
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have rode down the small town back roads here in oklahoma at night where there are no city lights with the daymaker led I added, I have had no issue with mine. I would never go back to a reg headlight after having this one.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:28 PM
jphillips63
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cattle-Dog
I'm not in the Rushmore club yet, but I found this video that I think illustrates what you are trying to explain. I wasn't even exactly sure until I found this, but I see what you are saying very clearly now. The beam is tapers sharply at the edges and when turn

ing one side tends to lift off the surface and the other pulls in next to your bike.

Harley Daymaker Head light / Aux Lights - YouTube

Yea that's a pretty good example he still had some lighting with street lights. Get in the hilly country like here in middle TN on the back roads with curves that you're riding into at a 90* left or right when it's pitch black out it is a very bad problem. Now take that and get up in the mountains where the curves are actually switch backs and you can count on loosing the road completely the later I've not encountered and probably will never on this bike as it is. But for everyday commute home at night from work it just isn't safe.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:58 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jodad13
I have rode down the small town back roads here in oklahoma at night where there are no city lights with the daymaker led I added, I have had no issue with mine. I would never go back to a reg headlight after having this one.
I have to agree. Once I had the bike flashed so that the passing lamps stayed on with the high beams, the LED lighting on my 2014 Limited is the best I've ever had on a bike, bar none.

It's a new, different type of lighting with a different appearance and there are going to be people who prefer the old - but not me, I love it.

I suppose the OP could put on the halogen light that the SG's have.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 06-24-2014, 06:57 PM
AmberWhisky
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jphillips63
Yea that's a pretty good example he still had some lighting with street lights. Get in the hilly country like here in middle TN on the back roads with curves that you're riding into at a 90* left or right when it's pitch black out it is a very bad problem. Now take that and get up in the mountains where the curves are actually switch backs and you can count on loosing the road completely the later I've not encountered and probably will never on this bike as it is. But for everyday commute home at night from work it just isn't safe.
Not sure I would feel safe riding in above scenario at night on any bike with any lights.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:29 PM
jphillips63
Advanced

Originally Posted by AmberWhisky
Not sure I would feel safe riding in above scenario at night on any bike with any lights.

On the heritage classic I had before my new Rushmore riding the roads in my area at night was never an issue the light may not was the brightest but it projected a round beam of light and going into the turns I never lost the road as I do with this new generation of lights. Switchbacks may be a different story but right now my concern is just commute to home from work at midnight.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:33 PM
GoGetter5832
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jodad13
Agree ONE MILLION PERCENT! Just added the Daymaker Auxiliary lights to my Daymaker Headlight. Took it for a spin last night and hit the interstate. When I turned on the Auxiliary lights it lit up all 3 lanes of the highway. It honestly makes me feel so much more safe because I feel as if I look like a car coming down the road to other motorists. I definitely recommend the Daymaker Set Up if you can do it!

Quick Reply: Headlight alternatives