Sponsored by:

hidden antenna - loss of reception?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 04:12 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SecondGear
I pulled the antenna so it's as close to the outer fairing as possible. It's marginally better but still not as good as stock. Could it be the hilly terrain that makes one antenna better than another?
I'm sure it's VERY dependent on location and terrain. FM signals are "line of sight", meaning if there are mountains and buildings in the way, reception with any antenna will be compromised.

In the relatively urban/suburban, hilly area I live (20 miles outside of NYC), the J&M internal gives me slightly better reception than the stock whip antenna for NYC stations. I know it's slightly better because with the stock I could not get my favorite station in the garage. With the J&M, that station comes in fine in the garage.

With either antenna, reception on the bike is approximately the same as both of my cars (Audi and Jeep). I don't see the Infotainment reception being any better or worse in my area than any other vehicle.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:36 PM
baldguy13
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No problems with HD hidden antenna on my bike.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:12 AM
motoguy82
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got the same reception with the HD hidden fairing antenna as the whip antenna on my 14 FLHXS. I mounted the center plastic piece that's powered directly to the back of my speedo/tach guages (double sided adhesive), and then ran each side around the outer edge of the speaker pods.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:30 PM
Hogwallop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the dealer install the hidden antenna as part of the sale. I have no reception issues with the HD inner fairing mounted antenna. The only issue I have with the sound system is I blew the left side speaker with only half volume setting. Dealer is replacing it under warranty.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:39 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

With the Boom hidden antenna, you'll lose a little. If you're already marginal on reception it will be noticeable, i.e., static and interference. If you're closer to the stations you normally listen to and have a strong signal already you might not notice a difference.

Harley advertises the hidden antenna does better in some regards than the stock antenna. In my case that wasn't so. But it wasn't a lot worse so I left it be (the hidden antenna, that is).

Alan

Old 06-25-2014, 07:46 AM
mjohnson68
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the HD hidden antenna and it works better than the stock whip...

Old 07-18-2014, 06:15 PM
GFVIII
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I tried both the passive and active antennas and neither worked as well as the stock. The shorty antenna was also useless in my area. I think you need to be near a large metropolitan area for any replacement antenna to work properly. I am about halfway between Philly and New York cities in NJ and the only thing that works properly for me is the stock antenna.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:41 AM
billjoat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the original antenna(I thought) but nothing was plugged in. Bought the boom audio hidden and it was just as bad. Might try a shorty since they have worked in the past in my area with other vehicles.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:20 AM
Roger That
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There sure are a lot of differing opinions on this issue, lol. Fact is the stock antenna is going to give the best results, but looks like crap. It has a lot to do with the correct length. There was a thread in here where some members had bent the stock antenna toward the front of the bike along the frame and the results were good.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:49 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 198 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by PRrdglide
I haven't had a problem with my HD Hidden antenna
Have you tried turning the radio on ?

Quick Reply: hidden antenna - loss of reception?