Sponsored by:

rider backrest for flhxs

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 01:06 AM
xreddirtbanditx
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rider backrest for flhxs

What rider backrests are you guys running on your 2014 street glide special with stock seat? Or which would you go with?

Old 06-15-2014, 01:13 AM
superairdave
Stage IV

Love my C&C solo seat with rider backrest...

Attached Thumbnails rider backrest for flhxs-image.jpg  
Old 06-15-2014, 08:34 AM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Stock seat, adjustable hd backrest. I love it. I did not install the adjustment lever though. I set it and forget it. I will always be the same height so never found a need to adjust yet

Old 06-15-2014, 09:10 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 251 Posts

Stock seat modified buy Mean City Cycles to lower and push back with HD adjustable backrest.. I find it very comfortable on long rides..

Old 06-15-2014, 10:08 AM
Dave Thorpe
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jcapps
Stock seat, adjustable hd backrest. I love it. I did not install the adjustment lever though. I set it and forget it. I will always be the same height so never found a need to adjust yet
The adjustability moves it fore and aft. I use the adjustment frequently to change positions on longer rides. I like to lay it back a bit when using the highway pegs. Having on-the-fly adjustability is very nice.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:39 AM
Hozzie
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the Mustang Wide Solo with driver backrest. I like that it doesn't require bolting anything to the bike. Simply install the seat and take the backrest in and out as you want. It is also easily adjustable up, down, front, and back.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:10 AM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Thorpe
The adjustability moves it fore and aft. I use the adjustment frequently to change positions on longer rides. I like to lay it back a bit when using the highway pegs. Having on-the-fly adjustability is very nice.
Been on long rides and have never felt the need to adjust it. I installed one on a friends bike the same way and with the same results.
Maybe you feel the need or slouch as time goes on, I do not. Does it make you wrong for installing the ugly lever, no, does it make me wrong for not installing that ugly lever, no

Old 06-15-2014, 11:58 AM
2NAHNTR
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm planning on getting the HD adjustable rider backrest when I get the funds. I like the stock seat but I might get MCC to do some tweaking on it.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:28 PM
Dave Thorpe
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jcapps
Been on long rides and have never felt the need to adjust it. I installed one on a friends bike the same way and with the same results.
Maybe you feel the need or slouch as time goes on, I do not. Does it make you wrong for installing the ugly lever, no, does it make me wrong for not installing that ugly lever, no
You never know unless you've tried it. Slouching is not part of my riding technique and I can't say I ever felt the need for it, but with legs stretched out on the pegs it is natural and comfortable to lean back a little. On the Ultras, the lever can't be seen as it is hidden underneath the heat deflector. Of course you are not "wrong" — I'm relating my experience with an option I enjoy a great deal. BTW, the standard backrest is also adjustable, but not on the fly, and it is a less expensive option.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:21 PM
martinjd
Intermediate

I added the adjustable mount and the comfort backrest to the stock seat. I like the rest but it sticks up out of the seat further than I like and with the black metal exposed between the rest and the seat doesn't look finished. On another thread someone suggested having a section cut out of the rest and re-welded to reduce the exposed area. I'm considering doing so. Unless you are really, really tall there should still be plenty of adjustment available. I went for a long ride this weekend after installing and really like being able to adjust the angle. If you go with the adjustable you have to be careful about the placement of the plastic piece they give you to mount under the seat. It is supposed to keep the seat from wearing out when being adjusted. If you mount it too low the mount catches on it. I also had an issue with the clip nut stripping out that holds the lever for the cable and had to add a nut on the backside to mount it.

Quick Reply: rider backrest for flhxs