Sponsored by:

Stage 1 Download ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 11:10 AM
Gunner B
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
The dealer was telling you the truth. Read the warranty section of your owners manual under what is not covered. Using devices that alert the tune can void the warranty even if done by a dealer. Dealers are independent and can and will sell after market parts and make changes to the bike that can void your warranty. Even adding screamin eagle parts that say for off road use only can void the warranty. Just something to think about.
+1

The dealer was very specific, as is the warranty section of your owners manual, anything that messes with the A/F ratio will void your warranty.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:16 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

It does not void the warranty.

If whatever you do causes the failure, then the warranty will not cover it.

The warranty covers a LOT more than the engine.

That's all I got to say 'bout that.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:45 AM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by WaucondaRider
So even adding an SE tuner installed by the dealer can void the warranty? Does anybody have anybody have any experience in this area? Will dealers stand behind their products?
It's not the dealer that decides what is covered and what isn't. The MoCo decides what is covered. Dealers have to call and get warranty work approved. If it's something major they will send a rep out to inspect the bike before authorizing the repair. The dealer will sell you what you want. All they can really stand behind its their labor. Parts are warranted by the parts manufacturer. If you add something to make the bike run richer and it causes carbon buildup which increases the compression which leads to pinging which can burn pistons, do think the MoCo or even the dealer that made the change is going to cover the repair?

Last edited by Greg2012FLHTK; 06-27-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:58 AM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SafetyMan

I agree. If you do something that can damage your motor they can't deny a warranty claim on something unrelated like the infotainment system. We are talking about changes to the motor. If you increase the power of the motor and the transmission fails they could deny the transmission repair even though you didn't do anything to it saying the extra power of the motor put extra stress on the transmission. I'm just trying to give others things to think about when doing mods. Some tend to think if a dealer does the mods it doesn't affect the warranty. It can and that is clearly stated in the owners manual.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:39 PM
srxpete
1st Gear
Cool

Besides the warranty issues, I was wondering how you guys liked the sound coming from the stage one install.
Me personally I had it done to my bike 2014 limited -love the acceleration sound but the deceleration has me in a conundrum, sounds like **** when down shifting or coasting down hills with the clutch out -very unsatisfied with it.

I had Vanes Hines duel headers, SE air cleaner, SE Tuner, & SE street can slip on's .

With stock headers and the slip on's it was fine no shitty back pressure noise - now the thing sounds like a Honda with shitty pipes on it on decel. (It Blows)

Its going into the dyno this weekend hoping that works .

Attached Thumbnails Stage 1 Download ?-20140621_143435.jpg  
Old 06-27-2014, 01:31 PM
Gunner B
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SafetyMan

Agreed brother. I should have been clearer in my response. Definitely would not void the infotainment etc, but it has the potential to void the warranty on the powertrain/transmission.

I don't like spending the $$$$ on the HD download either, but my Indy will flash it for $50. The extra peice of mind that my engine will still be covered is worth the $50 to me.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:19 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunner B
I don't like spending the $$$$ on the HD download either, but my Indy will flash it for $50. The extra peice of mind that my engine will still be covered is worth the $50 to me.
Will it truly cover if not done by a HD shop?

Old 06-27-2014, 04:32 PM
Scorpio49
Cruiser

If you had a Power Vision with a Fuel Moto map, would the dealer be able to tell you flashed the ECM if you re-flashed it back to the stock map before bringing it in for service?

How about XIED'S - can they tell they were installed if you took them off before service?

Thanks

Old 06-27-2014, 04:57 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Gunner B
On the flip side, I'm not paying the dealer for the download. My indy will do it for $50, so that's worth it knowing the dealer can't blame a fault with the engine on me.
How is your Indy getting the Harley stage 1 download and the Harley Digital Technician he needs to down load it? The download is a 1 use item that the Dealer has to purchase from the MoCo for each bike.

To try and answer the OP's original question, when I had it done on my 12 Limited I believe they charged around $175 for the download and a half hour labor to download it. I I remember right it was around $225 total. I threw all my receipts away after I traded the 12 on my 14.

I'm leaving my 14 stock except for the slip on's and the trailer hitch that I only have on the bike on trips. The hitch is something else that the MoCo will use to deny warranty coverage. Someone posted on a thread about hitches that they canceled his ESP and refused to refund any of it because they had already paid 1 claim before discovering the hitch.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:28 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Scorpio49
If you had a Power Vision with a Fuel Moto map, would the dealer be able to tell you flashed the ECM if you re-flashed it back to the stock map before bringing it in for service?

How about XIED'S - can they tell they were installed if you took them off before service?

Thanks
Don't know if they could tell if it had been re-flashed or not. And if you pull the XIED's off I doubt they could tell you had them. But what if you breakdown on the road and have to have the bike hauled to the dealer? You wouldn't have a chance to undo the changes. Or if you use the PV to flash it back to stock or removed the XIED's, could they say the failure was caused because you didn't have the download done to adjust for the AC and pipes?

I haven't had an issue but there have been many post on the forum about the MoCo denying warranty coverage for a lot of different things.

Read the warranty section of the owners manual and decide if what you are doing could fall under any of the items listed as not covered, Exclusions, and Other Limitations.

Just a few of statements from page 236 of the 14 Touring bikes manual. I've bolded some highlights that apply to our discussions.

Exclusions

4. Which has off-road or competition parts installed to enhance performance, or has other unapproved modifications (even if these modifications include genuine Harley-Davidson parts not approved for your motorcycle).

Other Limitations on page 237

4. Defects or damage to the motorcycle caused by alterations outside of Harley-Davidson's factory specifications or caused by alterations or use of parts or accessories not approved for the make and model year of your motorcycle.

5. Damaged caused by installation or use of non Harley-Davidson components, even if installed by an authorized Harley-Davidson dealership, that cause a Harley-Davidson part to fail. Examples include, but are not limited to performance-enhancing power train components or software, exhaust systems....

I believe most after market exhaust say for off road use only. Tuners and downloads would be software. You just have to decide for yourself what you believe is worth the risk. If your out of warranty and don't have an ESP it's a non issue.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 Download ?