Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 Download ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 10:12 AM
twitchcvma
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I talked to fuel moto. You simply tell them your set up and they send you the tuner based on what you have. The stealer I bought my ultra from said they NEEDED to do about 3 hours of dyno time at $100 bucks an hour to dial it in.
If you know what you are doing you can dial it in in your sleep.
Fuel Moto has the pipes, the air cleaner and the tuner. I can put all that stuff on my self and save even more on labor charges...at $90 an hour. The tuner comes loaded with what you want and the set up you have. Saving me over $500 the local stealer was going to charge for dyno time and labor. to me that's a no brainer... and I can't afford to lose any more brain cells.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:56 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default yea yea

Stopped by a dealer yesterday on my out and about ride. I could hear a bike in the Dyno room. Wow they put that thing through the wringer with motor sounding like it was going to explode. I really doubt 98% of people put it to their touring bike like that? Just my observation nothing I read on the internet.
Hap

Old 06-27-2014, 07:45 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

If you do your auto tune correctly, you are putting it "through the ringer" it would seem to gather data in all of the cells.

But it does take a small understanding of what those cells mean.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:54 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
Anything over free is too much....

My humble opinion.
I agree, Id buy some xied's instead. Not the best option available but if moneys tight they're cheap and they work

Old 06-27-2014, 08:07 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ynots
I agree, Id buy some xied's instead. Not the best option available but if moneys tight they're cheap and they work
You couldn't pay me to put a set of those on my bike.
IMHO, if money's tight, ride it stock until you can save the dough to do it right.

"Any job, big or small, do it right, or not at all."

My 2 cents.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:40 AM
Gunner B
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my opinion, but the HD Stage 1 download didn't do much on my 05 Heritage. Lots and lots of decel popping and didn't cool the bike down a bit. I added the EJK from Dobreck so that I could tune it, and it made a huge difference. Bike runs cooler, better throttle response etc.

However, the dealer told me that slip ons and an AC upgrade on my 14 FLHTK would not void my warranty, but anything that messed with the A/F ratio would, so it looks like a tuner is out for me at least until the warranty is done.

Flip side is that the bike runs and sounds great now with just the Rinehardt slip ons. I will be changing the AC soon so I will get the HD download, from my Indy at a big discount, in order to keep my factory warranty. So worth it or not, I'm doing it to maintain my warranty and ESP.

Last edited by Gunner B; 06-27-2014 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Grammar....I'm an idiot!
Old 06-27-2014, 09:27 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gunner B
However, the dealer told me that slip ons and an AC upgrade on my 14 FLHTK would not void my warranty, but anything that messed with the A/F ratio would...
MY dealer told me if I didn't pay them $475 to do my 1000 mile service that my warranty would be voided.

Sometimes, I think those that use the scare tactic "void your warranty" are confused... sometimes I think those that use the scare tactic "void your warranty" are stupid... but mostly I think those that use the scare tactic "void your warranty" are greedy liars.

I would recommend doing a bit of research on warranties, and what can "void" them.

It's your sled and your wallet, do what suits you.

Last edited by SafetyMan; 06-27-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:45 AM
Gunner B
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
MY dealer told me if I didn't pay them $475 to do my 1000 mile service that my warranty would be voided.

Sometimes, I think those that use the scare tactic "void your warranty" are confused... sometimes I think those that use the scare tactic "void your warranty" are stupid... but mostly I think those that use the scare tactic "void your warranty" are greedy liars.

I would recommend doing a bit of research on warranties, and what can "void" them.

It's your sled and your wallet, do what suits you.

Normally, I would agree with you....but this wasn't the service guys. I did a ton of research on the warranty. It's a lot easier for them to say messing with the A/F ratio screwed up the engine, and the ECM will have the data to show it.

On the flip side, I'm not paying the dealer for the download. My indy will do it for $50, so that's worth it knowing the dealer can't blame a fault with the engine on me.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:35 AM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunner B
However, the dealer told me that slip ons and an AC upgrade on my 14 FLHTK would not void my warranty, but anything that messed with the A/F ratio would, so it looks like a tuner is out for me at least until the warranty is done.

Flip side is that the bike runs and sounds great now with just the Rinehardt slip ons. I will be changing the AC soon so I will get the HD download, from my Indy at a big discount, in order to keep my factory warranty. So worth it or not, I'm doing it to maintain my warranty and ESP.
The dealer was telling you the truth. Read the warranty section of your owners manual under what is not covered. Using devices that alert the tune can void the warranty even if done by a dealer. Dealers are independent and can and will sell after market parts and make changes to the bike that can void your warranty. Even adding screamin eagle parts that say for off road use only can void the warranty. Just something to think about.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:04 AM
WaucondaRider
Tourer

So even adding an SE tuner installed by the dealer "can" void the warranty? Does anybody have anybody have any experience in this area? Will dealers stand behind their products?

Quick Reply: Stage 1 Download ?