Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 Download ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 08:05 AM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

Don't waste $150 of you're hard earned money on a Stage 1 download, it is still EPA Compliant and the bike will still be lean, the download is to basically stop the DECEL popping, there is no real performance gains from a Stage 1 download. Get a good tuner and have the bike dyno'd, that's where you're money should be spent, and not wasted on a dealer download. JMHO though.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:12 AM
spr0k3t
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Was offered a stage 1 download for just 50 when they found out I was considering a power vision or tts. Ask the mechanic exactly what steps they take to do the download. You will be pissed when you find out it's a file you could easily flash from a computer and diag cable.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:04 AM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

I dunno I have not sipped the tuner Koolaid. I had the se ac and download built in to my OTD price and have never looked back. Bike runs great, pulls hard in 6th. Its a touring bike not a drag bike. I want to race I pull out drag car. Not really sure how much more a tuner could do to a 14 but the guys I have seen using them have issues (of course no one here has issues with them) Different dealers and several techs have stated they are not needed on the 14s. Even spoke with an Indy and he said do not waste your money. So its not being cheap to not install a tuner. Its more of a fact that the MOCO spent millions on research to get these bikes to run right. I put my faith in their R&D over some small company with a two man R&D team trying to recoup its "investment time"

Old 06-13-2014, 10:42 AM
WaucondaRider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a gear head, so please pardon my ignorance. I've been reading on the forums, that changing pipes, A/C, and adding a tuner will give you a few (~4-6) more HP and a few (4 or 5) more ft/lbs of torque. My question is how noticeable are those gains? Is it just a little bit better throttle response or is neck snapping gains?

Old 06-13-2014, 10:59 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,911 Likes on 19,367 Posts

Basic factory HP is about 58 ... and an increase of 4 to 6 hp ( 10% ) is about the average with no other additions ( no exhaust air or other modifications ) .... So when you're hanging on after the "improvements" you'll need to hang on 10% harder ??? Exhaust and Intake modification can better the numbers for sure ... Cheap Horsepower and Torque is in the camshafts when properly tuned ... an you should also remember that "Cubic Dollars will beat Cubic Inches almost every time!

Old 06-13-2014, 07:21 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

My dealer charges $150.00. I have to wonder if those that tell you it's a waste of money have ever tried it, or just passing on what they've read on the internet.

I had the download done due to decel popping when I put aftermarket slip-ons on my 2011 Road King.

And here is what it did for me. No BS. No internet rumors.

1. Ran a little cooler. Reason I know this is the rear cylinder rarely cut off like it used to. It had to be very hot, and basically idling for a long time for it to kick in.
2. Moved rev limiter into the stratosphere where I never hit it.
3. Before the download, with stock pipes and aftermarket, bike struggled to get to 100 mph. It would, but would take a while to do it. (96" motor by the way). After download, bike would scream! Got to 100 without any effort at all, and kept on climbing until I shut it down at 115 mph. Never ran out of steam.
4. Mileage improved by 2 mpg.

These are the facts as pertaining to my bike and my experience. Your mileage may vary due to your bike set up. Speaking of which, slip-ons were the only modification I made. Take it for what it's worth, but this is what I experienced, not heard by someone who's never tried it.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:34 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
My dealer charges $150.00. I have to wonder if those that tell you it's a waste of money have ever tried it, or just passing on what they've read on the internet.
I have personal experience.

It is a canned map that fattens the mix across the board.
That's it.
Nothing else.
The canned map, to use old guy terminology, would be like selling the same exact set of jets to everyone.
Yes, I understand the O2 sensors come in to play, but the essence is the same.

I've "tuned" my Harleys every way imaginable, from changing jets, to stealer download, to piggy back fuel management systems to TTS to PV2.

I will never, ever. EVER. again pay the stealer for a canned download that is not programmable.

$150 blown out the window. Then, down the road, if a man takes a notion to change cams or anything else, he needs to go spend more money.

I'd rather spend good money up front for something that is infinitely tune-able no matter what choices I may make in the future.

Furthermore, I will not buy a used bike with a "download". Tuner? yes... provided I get the dongle and maps....

MY 2 cents.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:48 PM
HarleyguyUltra2011
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once again great information I hope others read this post and gain some more on how to spend your hard money wisely

Old 06-13-2014, 10:21 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
It is a canned map that fattens the mix across the board.
That's it.
Nothing else.
Apparently, based on my results, that's a good thing then. Oh, and it does do something else. It elevates the rev limiter out of your way so you don't have to shift as soon.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:14 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 761 Posts

Ill throw in if ya all don't mind. 2014 RK purchased with the dealer down load stage one, got home and put slip ons, a filter and Xied. Bike ran good, a little decel burbble, a little pop sometimes on free revving . After about 4500 miles, I went ahead and did the PV2 with Fuel Moto map and the bike pulls noticeably harder everywhere in the throttle, no burbble, no pop, awsome idle, and smooth.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 Download ?