Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil dipstick measurement when cold?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 06:03 PM
DBLXX
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil dipstick measurement when cold?

Where does your level read on the dipstick when the bike is dead cold and on the jiffy stand?

Thank you.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:06 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 761 Posts

about two dots above middle with 3.25 qts at a change.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:50 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,204 Likes on 2,303 Posts

I didn't want to start another "oil level" thread, so I'm posting to this one because it exactly addresses my question.

So, I changed my fluids over the weekend. I followed the manual on amounts for the primary and transmission. I thought I followed the procedure for the crankcase (add 3 quarts, get the engine hot and re-check level). It showed I needed to add some oil, which I did in order to get the oil to the proper level on the dipstick.

I haven't started the bike since then, so today I checked the oil level while cold. The level was almost to the hot level while on jiffy stand, so I ended up taking out about as much oil as I had put in when the engine was hot. So, in essence, I put in just over 3 quarts of oil. Of course, I'll re-check the oil level when the engine is hot, but does just over 3 quarts seem about right? Sorry for the rookie question.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:40 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
but does just over 3 quarts seem about right?

I don't believe I have ever put in over 3 quarts in a post-'09.... and I change oil in a few more than just my own.

Lots of reading available, but basically running it in the middle of the marks is fine, and doesn't cause excessive blowby.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:44 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,204 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Thanks, SafetyMan!

Old 05-11-2015, 10:44 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

3 Quarts and you're good!

Old 05-12-2015, 03:45 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Mine is just about dead middle. Just did an oil change this weekend and added only 3 quarts.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:03 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 255 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
I didn't want to start another "oil level" thread, so I'm posting to this one because it exactly addresses my question.

So, I changed my fluids over the weekend. I followed the manual on amounts for the primary and transmission. I thought I followed the procedure for the crankcase (add 3 quarts, get the engine hot and re-check level). It showed I needed to add some oil, which I did in order to get the oil to the proper level on the dipstick.

I haven't started the bike since then, so today I checked the oil level while cold. The level was almost to the hot level while on jiffy stand, so I ended up taking out about as much oil as I had put in when the engine was hot. So, in essence, I put in just over 3 quarts of oil. Of course, I'll re-check the oil level when the engine is hot, but does just over 3 quarts seem about right? Sorry for the rookie question.
Same exact thing here, after draining I added 3 quarts, the level was good when cold but when I checked hot it was low. I added a little and now when cold it's more than half, somewhere around three quarters. I've been feeling around under the air cleaner for any signs of leakage/blowby but everything is dry. Wondering it I should take out a little, not sure which level is more accurate, the hot or the cold.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:01 AM
Harttoo
Road Master

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

Last time I had oil changed at the Dealer.I checked the oil cold and it was at the full mark.I asked the Service Manager why?He said that the level from hot to cold is negligible.So I checked it hot,and He is right.Sorry if this starts another debate,but My experience is that the level does not change from hot to cold like "the old days".

Old 05-12-2015, 09:37 AM
motoguy82
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I go by the service manual. Oil measurement should not be over 1/2 way up the dipstick when cold.

Quick Reply: Oil dipstick measurement when cold?