Sponsored by:

CVO dash appliqué - install ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 04:54 PM
tlr
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CVO dash appliqué - install ?

I just ordered the CVO dash thingy. Comes standard on CVO Limited. Looks like aluminum plating. Anyway, anyone that has installed this, how did you do it? I was thinking about taping it in place from the top, then lifting up and peeling off all the backing at once and then lay in place. Any ideas thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:14 PM
Dave Thorpe
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same technique as applying clear film. Use a one liter spray bottle with distilled water and 3-4 drops of Johnson's baby shampoo. Spray the dash and the sticky backing liberally with the solution. Lay the piece in LIGHTLY and you can slide it into position. Once in position press firmly in all areas to extrude the water mixture. Do not cut corners by using regular water or "purified" water. It must be steam distilled water, available at most drug stores. Pick up the baby shampoo at the same time.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:26 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

You are smart being concerned. The first time I installed the trim panel I started on one side, working to the other; it was the wrong method. It was good on one side but off on the other. It was a pain to remove and cost me another panel. I wimped out and had my dealer install the second panel along with the matching tank trim.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:09 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior

I'm ordering mine soon. Whenever I put on stickers, I only remove one side of the backing about an inch or so at a time. Therefore, if I mess up, I can easily pull off and start over again. But once it is in place on one edge, I slowly keep pulling off the backing and pressing as I go from one side to the other. Never had a problem.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Rockgeezer
Tourer

Same here as above. Positioned the dash in place before removing any tape and noted spacing all the way around indented lip. Then scored the tape with a little exacto knife to have smaller pieces to remove. I actually started at the bottom, lining up across the lower lip and had no troubles and went on easily.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:30 AM
flatlander68
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rockgeezer I sent you a pm

Originally Posted by Rockgeezer
Same here as above. Positioned the dash in place before removing any tape and noted spacing all the way around indented lip. Then scored the tape with a little exacto knife to have smaller pieces to remove. I actually started at the bottom, lining up across the lower lip and had no troubles and went on easily.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:39 AM
Rockgeezer
Tourer

Got it, thanks!
Also, if I do this sort of thing on anything else, I would like to try Dave Thorpe's method, sounds easy and foolproof.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:22 PM
tlr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dave Thorpe
Same technique as applying clear film. Use a one liter spray bottle with distilled water and 3-4 drops of Johnson's baby shampoo. Spray the dash and the sticky backing liberally with the solution. Lay the piece in LIGHTLY and you can slide it into position. Once in position press firmly in all areas to extrude the water mixture. Do not cut corners by using regular water or "purified" water. It must be steam distilled water, available at most drug stores. Pick up the baby shampoo at the same time.
I never thought of using this method. Makes sense. Must admit I am a bit nervous about this. I do wonder how the dealer does it.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:32 PM
tlr
Cruiser

My other thought was to tack it in place by using some tape on the top. Once in place peel the backing off slowly. Maybe a combination of both ideas, using the spray bottle as well.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:23 PM
mikear2012
Intermediate
Default Dash and gauge in CVO parts

CVO trim used with gauge trim

CVO Console on 2014 Streetglide

Here you go

Quick Reply: CVO dash appliqué - install ?