Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Headlights - Facts & Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 03:43 PM
gkbailey78
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm getting ready to order a TL phase 7. I have a question on the harness. Has anyone purchased a harness compatible with a 2014 SGS? I'm seeing 2 different versions of the harness when browsing through Amazon and don't know which to order.

Also, I read about an anti flicker harness. What is it and would it be a better option? Thanks for the advice. This site has saved me headaches and money!

Old 05-25-2015, 09:23 AM
Clump
Tourer
Received 198 Likes on 55 Posts

I installed a JW Speaker 8700 Evo 2 on my 15 SGS. I did need an adapter harness. I bought the Custom Dynamics harness, just because I could get it much quicker than the HD version.

Installation is a breeze. Had a night ride that included some city and highway and was really pleased with the light. It's a huge improvement over stock. I'm going to adjust it up a bit - at highway speed (70+) in curves it could be better.

I found the light on ebay for $295. A couple hundred cheaper than the HD version. Still a lot of money for a headlight, but after the night ride I'm feeling pretty happy about spending it.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:09 AM
Roger That
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xhere
The TL7 reflector looks like it is off when viewing at angles in the daytime, the HD reflector does not do this.

I've had the Trucklite TL7 and have now had the HD Daymaker Reflector for almost a year. The Trucklite was very difficult to see in the daylight and always made me nervous, worked great at night with a little bit of cutoff to the sides at night while turning due to counter steer.

The HD Daymaker Reflector is seen in the daylight far better than the Trucklite and also has better light dispersion to the sides due to the use of three led bulbs at different angles for the low beam and three led bulbs at different angles for the high beam. This along with a better designed reflector for exclusive use on motorcycles (one headlight) is why it is far superior than the Trucklites.

The Trucklites are an all purpose led headlight for use on trucks (Jeeps) and motorcycles. They have one led for low beam and one led for high beam. Both are aimed directly to the rear reflector and is only using the reflector for light dispersion to the sides. Remember the design of this light is primarily for use in vehicles with more than one headlight (Jeeps).

Old 05-25-2015, 04:09 PM
maverick2076
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Rode with my TL-7 this weekend for the first time out in the country late at night. On a 5 lane road (2 lanes each side and a turn lane, plus emergency lanes) the TL-7 sent light far enough to the sides to illuminate the fences set back 10-15 feet from the emergency lanes on both sides of the highway. It was a huge improvement over the stock headlight. Although we didn't hit any serious twisties, I didn't have any issues with light cutoff in the turns we did take.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:20 PM
Riffraff123
Road Captain
Received 298 Likes on 160 Posts

Just want to offer counterpoint to LED lights. I have stocker headlamp, hi/lo, and replaced my side lamps with 55W bulbs. I have cars flash me during the day. I like being noticed....I turn off side lamps at night in traffic because they're blinding to oncoming cars.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:47 PM
RK_2014
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by batman.
Yes these lights are plug and play then smile cause you didn't spend alot of money. One thing I did find is you have to use the factory o ring and the one supplied or double rubber it so it doesn't turn in the socket. there's a complete thread in the rushmore area.

Batman
Plug and play sounds great!

Do they throw any codes? Do they need run with a load equalizer?

Last edited by RK_2014; 05-25-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:39 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by gkbailey78
I'm getting ready to order a TL phase 7. I have a question on the harness. Has anyone purchased a harness compatible with a 2014 SGS? I'm seeing 2 different versions of the harness when browsing through Amazon and don't know which to order.

Also, I read about an anti flicker harness. What is it and would it be a better option? Thanks for the advice. This site has saved me headaches and money!
I used HD part number 69200897.

There is no need for an anti flicker harness on the 2014+ bikes.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:46 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by RK_2014
Plug and play sounds great!

Do they throw any codes? Do they need run with a load equalizer?
I used the sirius led lights from amazon. They are plug and play and no codes or other harness necessary at all. 75 bucks works great.
Theres other posts about these on the rushmore area.

Batman

Old 05-26-2015, 09:22 AM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

There seems to be a fair amount of confusion and contradictory information on this (and some of the other LED) thread(s). I have HD projector LED HL and passing lamps on both my FLSTCs and a HD Projector LED and Custom Dynamics Bullet rings on my FXDWG. All three of the bikes are lit up like UFO's at night and are highly visible during daylight. Yes, the beam angle on the WG is a bit narrow for fast cornering at night. No flashes from oncoming traffic, but there's no doubt in my mind that I'm WAY more visible than with stock lamps. My feeling PROPERLY ADJUSTED led lamps are arguably one of the most effective safety investments one can make.

Just my $0.02

Old 05-26-2015, 06:20 PM
RK_2014
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by batman.
I used the sirius led lights from amazon. They are plug and play and no codes or other harness necessary at all. 75 bucks works great.
Theres other posts about these on the rushmore area.

Batman
Thanks Batman

Quick Reply: LED Headlights - Facts & Opinion