Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Headlights - Facts & Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 11:53 PM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have both the TL 7 and the Harley LED Daymaker Projector. In my opinion, the TL 7 is far superior at lighting up the road at night -- the Daymaker is better than the other Harley lights I have had --

Old 04-08-2015, 01:07 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,912 Likes on 828 Posts

I had the TL7 headlight and spots on my '11 Heritage and loved them. Absolutely no issues with illuminating the roadway and sides at night. Don't feel they're really needed on the RK, so I passed them on to my son for his '08 Deluxe.
I do plan on purchasing a set of the Dynamic Ringz though...

Old 04-08-2015, 06:11 PM
KMC1
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a 14 Limited. I HATE the headlights for riding at night on anything other than the highway. On twisty mountain roads, especially when going up or down they are worse than useless as the sharp cut off of the beam makes it dangerous and reduces speed to a crawl.

I want to add some decent lighting to fill in the beam pattern but I need something that will look good and be out of the way of the highway pegs.

I have to say, I'm surprised HD would out such a dangerous lighting system on their top tier bikes, I cetainly didn't expect it that's for sure.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:31 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

I only have one question....

What the HELL are you doing bringing factual, unbiased well researched information to this board???

Nicely done, BTW

Old 04-08-2015, 09:23 PM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Good info for new people looking. :-)

Old 04-10-2015, 10:26 AM
Sedonastrider
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 02BlueDeuce
This photo reinforces why I would never run LED's. Cagers already don't see us and I want every option available to help them see us more not less as the photo above shows.
Are you aware of PROJECTOR and REFLECTOR LED differences or do you think they are all the same? Might want to do some more research before you lump them all together...

Also, it can be "discovered" in the first post

Last edited by Sedonastrider; 04-10-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:35 AM
Sedonastrider
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustrtal
Below are the Generally accepted Truths (otherwise known as opinions) found on other forum threads, personal experience and Youtube reviews, etc.:
· The Projector lights have fuller more even light patterns but tend to be narrow beams
· The Reflectors are not as full of a pattern but are diffused further side to side.
· The Reflectors are not as easily seen during the daylight by other motorists from angles other than straight on
· The Projectors work well when paired with matching spot/auxiliary lights especially when the spot/auxiliary lights are modified to stay (harness on pre-’14, flash on ’14) on with the high beams
· The Reflectors work well when there are no spots/auxiliary lights to fill in the sides
· According to the JW Speaker website they are an OEM manufacturer for Harley Davidson and since the lights look very similar, it is likely that JW makes the HD Projector
· Peterson manufactures the HC branded reflector style light (not listed above) and Truck Lite makes the Kuryakyn Reflector Headlight.
· I could not find any definite information regarding the manufacturer of the HD Reflector. I have read countless threads where people claim it’s made by Truck Lite. To me (just my opinion) the HD bulb looks closer to the Peterson than the TL.

Please feel free to post up any additional facts or opinions that have been omitted or may need to be corrected. I will gladly add any other light or edit any of the above information.
Here's the newest from JW speaker, also known as one of the two HD lights called Daymakers.

This model appatently addresses the unlit void so many complain about.

Mines in the garage on the workbench ready to go. Will install and update here or start a new thread with before and after pictures.
http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/led-headlights-model-8700-evolution-2/

Old 04-10-2015, 02:39 PM
casbar
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Reflectors are not as easily seen during the daylight by other motorists from angles other than straight on

Also did a lot of research before fitting my HD Daymaker. In the end, the only Daymaker which Harley would sell aftermarket in Europe is the Reflector. This is because its the only light that has an EU rating. To get an EU rating it needs to be visible from certain angles and straight on in daylight. Therefore it is fine from other angles other than straight on. I have had mates look from various angles and they can see the light fine. So its better than standard. Bizarre thing is, now Harleys are being delivered in the UK with the Projector type as well, but apparently they have now also been changed to be Euro compliant.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:32 AM
PocketsDWG
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a very helpful thread to me as I am looking to upgrade my headlight because riding with the stock halogen on my SGS is horrible at best. Thank you all for the information that you guys have put into this thread.....but I still feel a little lost for which way I should go between the projector and reflector type. Thinking reflector but want to be sure as it is my life that could hinge on my decision. I do not ride at night that often but I want to be able to see what is out infront of me and along side the road as I live in West Virginia so we have plenty of turns to see through and animals along side the road at night. I don't plan to put driving lights on because I'm not a fan of the look. I appreciate any direction you could point me in for making my ride a little safer at night

Old 04-26-2015, 08:48 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by PocketsDWG
This is a very helpful thread to me as I am looking to upgrade my headlight because riding with the stock halogen on my SGS is horrible at best. Thank you all for the information that you guys have put into this thread.....but I still feel a little lost for which way I should go between the projector and reflector type. Thinking reflector but want to be sure as it is my life that could hinge on my decision. I do not ride at night that often but I want to be able to see what is out infront of me and along side the road as I live in West Virginia so we have plenty of turns to see through and animals along side the road at night. I don't plan to put driving lights on because I'm not a fan of the look. I appreciate any direction you could point me in for making my ride a little safer at night
I agree with you there is a lot of good info in this thread , as far as the led projector style lights that come on the 14/15 models imho they are great for interstate riding or strait roads ,but really suck in any type curve. I have mine flashed so that the auxiliary lights stay on even when on bright it helps very little.

Quick Reply: LED Headlights - Facts & Opinion