Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Headlights - Facts & Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 08:31 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

I have a 14 TK with the useless OEM LED Projector on it, and like everyone says, it is DANGEROUS around curves at night, esp at about 30~40mph, because that lean angle & radius of turn & speed is a combo for driving WAY beyond the sharp cut off.

i understand that the Spots help alot, but mine don't help (they are flashed on) much when turning, no matter high or low beam, you just can't see when the bike is leaned over.

which headlight is best with the OEM LED TK spot/fog lights, and will have the same color/clarity?

I am thinking about buying a regular old halogen headlight, and putting a 55w HID in it.
is that the BEST solution out there right now?

stupid questions are always the best, so here goes:

wife has a softail, and she has bad vision at night, the Eye Doc said to wear glasses instead of contacts at night, that will help with vision & halos around oncoming lights.

however, without spots/with only one headlight, what would you run, a 55W HID or what?

I do NOT want her running a LED that is not visible during the day as her only headlight.

so, two questions:
-solution for a TK to prevent blindness in turns (and be visible during day)
-solution for a single headlight (softail, sportdog)

Old 12-06-2014, 08:34 PM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

The best option is some type of reflector LED headlight. Either the truck light phase 7 or the Harley Davidson reflector Daymaker.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:24 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustrtal
The best option is some type of reflector LED headlight. Either the truck light phase 7 or the Harley Davidson reflector Daymaker.
the Reflectors are the ones you cannot see during the day light? correct?

The following users liked this post:
whocares (04-17-2016)
Old 12-06-2014, 09:36 PM
xhere
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 04ctd
the Reflectors are the ones you cannot see during the day light? correct?
The TL7 reflector looks like it is off when viewing at angles in the daytime, the HD reflector does not do this.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:15 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

The daytim visibility is why I run the Custom Dynamics Rinzs in addition to the LED Headlight.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:12 AM
looneytune
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustrtal
The daytim visibility is why I run the Custom Dynamics Rinzs in addition to the LED Headlight.
I'm running the same thing. I have the HD reflector and the CD Ringz. I found the HD reflector to be easier to see during the day at an angle and it has a better low beam than the Truck Lite for my tastes. I still may install the driving lights because I ride a lot at night and the more light, the better. I guess I would have to get rid of the Ringz then.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:30 AM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My only experience has been running stock lights on my 2009 Ultra and now the stock LED's on my 14 Ultra. The 14 has been a huge improvement .

Early on I received feed back that in the daytime my lights were barely visible as I had done little night riding up to that point. Turns out my beam adjustment was 18 inches to low. Those riding with me notice a big improvement. Now I am very satisfied. Is there something better out there? Maybe there is. But until I ride side by side with someone with a better idea I am happy for now.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:38 AM
pkwett94
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I came from Goldwings when I got my 2014 Limited and there is no comparison these Harley headlights suck. The Wing had Halogen headlights and they were for superior for night riding. First time that I leaned into a corner that I ride alot at night all I could think was what the .... I totally lost the visual of the road and had to slow way down to even feel almost safe.

I used to love night riding, now I only do it when I have to. The headlights are the only real complaint that I have over my Limited. Unfortunate for me I can not afford to anything about it at the moment.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:55 AM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I run the trucklites. I do not find any of the problems that others have. My TL illuminates the road from side to side on a 4 lane road with a turning lane. On two lanes I can easily see if there are any critters waiting to come onto the road. I do spend a lot of night time riding in the mountains.

My buddies have said my TL are brighter than the Daymakers.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:48 PM
jungleman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best led's I have seen are the Trucklite Phase 6. They look a little funny but the lighting is exceptional

Last edited by jungleman; 04-07-2015 at 09:53 PM.

Quick Reply: LED Headlights - Facts & Opinion