Sponsored by:

LED Headlights - Facts & Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 10:23 PM
scooper321
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDawgQC
Myself & three friends are running the NightSun. So far, we are please with it. We have the chrome ones & have gotten a lot of positive comments regarding it at bike nights. Pouring rain, or I'd get a better photo for y'all.

http://4x4lighting.com/LED-Headlight-Harley.html

These look interesting! Once you get a chance, daylight pics would be great. And others. Someone else on the forums is trying the Genssi LED replacement, too. $80 on eBay. One of these types has to be decent. I know what the components in thee lights cost and $400 and up is ridiculous, even for dealer markups. Can't wait to see more pics!

Old 03-27-2016, 11:38 PM
JD HD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Martck29
I went with the evo 2. Installed it yesterday and haven't had a chance to see ihow it works on the road. This is how it looks in the garage on high and low.
That looks like a big improvement over the stock Daymaker. Curious to hear your impressions once you get it out on the road at night. I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the JW Speaker EVO 2 or the Vision X Vortex.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:40 PM
Racin929
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by scooper321
So Racin, I saw in another thread you have the Sirius with the fan. Do you remember which generation that is? And can you hear the fan much?
Mine are the ones with fans. It may interfere with your radio if you have stco antenna. When key is turned on, you hear a SLIGHT hum. Of course that goes away when bike is running. As some have said here, LED's are directional. With a daymaker setup this is very true. But with Cree's, using the stock reflective housing, its not the case IMO. I see overpass signs light up everywhere. I am often up front in my pack because of my lighting. The CREE LED's are superior to the daymaker in all cases especially price.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:20 AM
paulmj
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDawgQC
Myself & three friends are running the NightSun. So far, we are please with it. We have the chrome ones & have gotten a lot of positive comments regarding it at bike nights. Pouring rain, or I'd get a better photo for y'all.

http://4x4lighting.com/LED-Headlight-Harley.html

That looks good and at a great price. Does it fit fine in the existing bucket and use the existing trim ring? I see their site says 14+ needs a wiring adapter, which one did you use? Cheers!

Old 03-28-2016, 05:20 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I would imagine that most of you with the spot/driving/fog/aux lights either have or plan to have a dealer flash your bikes so that they stay on with highbeams?

Old 03-28-2016, 06:35 AM
rydeer
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by batman.
I have the Cree also on my 14 sg. Love it. 79 bucks shipped can't be beat. There is a halo of light around the front of the bike no dark corners at all. No need to side marker lights or running lights added. Even in daylight when you look at it you see spots for a few mins easily. Even sideways viewing. You couldn't give me a daymaker. There dark from the side not the Cree tho.

Batman
So this sounds like the best Plan. I've had My bike 3 weeks and I'm so disappointed in the light. The sales man when I bought her from made such a big deal about the "Daymaker" " People are spending $600.00 to up grade" He said. Many of you are talking about Dealer flashes, $500.00 new bulbs, etc. I bought a new bike to not have to fix things. Had I known I would have pulled the headlight assy from My Road King. That light was great.
So. this Cree $79.00, is it all I need? Plugs right in? Big Halo like My road King had? Not too many amps for the elec system? Where did You Buy it from?
Thanks Steve

Old 03-28-2016, 06:45 AM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Racin929
Mine are the ones with fans. It may interfere with your radio if you have stco antenna. When key is turned on, you hear a SLIGHT hum. Of course that goes away when bike is running. As some have said here, LED's are directional. With a daymaker setup this is very true. But with Cree's, using the stock reflective housing, its not the case IMO. I see overpass signs light up everywhere. I am often up front in my pack because of my lighting. The CREE LED's are superior to the daymaker in all cases especially price.
This all sounds very good....It would be great Racin, if it's not too much trouble to test how visible the lights (I might have missed this, but the passing lights are still halogen?) are during the day from various side angles (to simulate what oncoming cars or people at cross streets would see)....thanks!

Old 03-28-2016, 06:48 AM
scooper321
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustrtal
I would imagine that most of you with the spot/driving/fog/aux lights either have or plan to have a dealer flash your bikes so that they stay on with highbeams?
I ride an 07 so no worries here! If I want to do this, it's a simple jumper wire...

Old 03-28-2016, 07:21 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
I only have one question....

What the HELL are you doing bringing factual, unbiased well researched information to this board???

Nicely done, BTW
As Paul Harvey used to say, "I'll second that notion"!

Very nicely done!!

Old 03-28-2016, 07:39 AM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by overthehill?
This all sounds very good....It would be great Racin, if it's not too much trouble to test how visible the lights (I might have missed this, but the passing lights are still halogen?) are during the day from various side angles (to simulate what oncoming cars or people at cross streets would see)....thanks!
Actually, this testing IMHO should really be directed at the manufacturers/distributors/dealers of these products, who seem to demonstrate their product's superior performance only at night. In the interest of safety would it not be as important to demonstrate to potential customers the equal or better visibility during the day?...unless it is not superior or equal.........or am I missing something?

Note: I posted this in a similar thread in hdforums FWIW.

Quick Reply: LED Headlights - Facts & Opinion