Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is high

Attached Thumbnails LED Headlights - Facts & Opinion-image.jpeg  
Old 03-27-2016, 08:53 AM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts

As I read through this thread, very interesting that there is good info, but also lots of unknowns as well....most likely because there are so many variations of what one can do, i.e., upgrade kit (one or two bulb-HL), headlight assembly replacement, etc.

I suppose it all comes down to what an individual rider is after...why consider changing? For me and I suspect others (which is why I am even posting), I ride 95% during the day, and am concerned that changing from the stock configuration will decrease visibility, as has been noted earlier. It would be of great service to the rider community if the suppliers could test this function as much as they advertise nighttime functionality.

my 2 cents.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:34 PM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

I agree, lots of complaints about LEDs and daytime visibility, I think my stock 14RK light set up and $13 yellow halogen light fog light bulbs, blows them all away!
I will get a daytime photo soon, even more impressive ...

Last edited by alarmdoug; 03-27-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:47 PM
Racin929
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by alarmdoug
I agree, lots of complaints about LEDs and daytime visibility
Complaints? Never hear any from me. These pics are today with a week old daymaker setup on a softail. $1000 in lights. My SGS has Cree LED sirius in the amount of $110 for all 3.
These pics are not doctored in any way. I tried to be as accurate in the distance and angle as I could. Trust me, the guy with the $1000 setup made sure of it. I would have bought the HD daymaker if not for the $ tag difference. But now am happy with the LED's.

Attached Thumbnails LED Headlights - Facts & Opinion-img_3248.jpg   LED Headlights - Facts & Opinion-img_3249.jpg   LED Headlights - Facts & Opinion-img_3250.jpg   LED Headlights - Facts & Opinion-img_3251.jpg  
Old 03-27-2016, 05:05 PM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts

Racin, wow, they look pretty darn close......saying that, did you happen try the daylight test at different angles off to the side to see if there was a difference? That would be an important test, as much of what I read indicates that 'most' LED headlights are not as visible as Halogens....

Old 03-27-2016, 05:19 PM
Racin929
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I did not. I would think the Cree LED with stock housing would be even that much better. I didnt even think to snap some pics of that.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:31 PM
scooper321
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Racin929
I did not. I would think the Cree LED with stock housing would be even that much better. I didnt even think to snap some pics of that.
So Racin, I saw in another thread you have the Sirius with the fan. Do you remember which generation that is? And can you hear the fan much?

Old 03-27-2016, 07:33 PM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by scooper321
So Racin, I saw in another thread you have the Sirius with the fan. Do you remember which generation that is? And can you hear the fan much?
I have the Cree also on my 14 sg. Love it. 79 bucks shipped can't be beat. There is a halo of light around the front of the bike no dark corners at all. No need to side marker lights or running lights added. Even in daylight when you look at it you see spots for a few mins easily. Even sideways viewing. You couldn't give me a daymaker. There dark from the side not the Cree tho.

Batman

Old 03-27-2016, 08:05 PM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 336 Likes on 184 Posts

Myself & three friends are running the NightSun. So far, we are please with it. We have the chrome ones & have gotten a lot of positive comments regarding it at bike nights. Pouring rain, or I'd get a better photo for y'all.

http://4x4lighting.com/LED-Headlight-Harley.html

Old 03-27-2016, 08:50 PM
mykaos
Advanced
Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

Biggest thing I've learned w/ LED forward lighting is aiming is EVERYTHING. Both for light performance and not annoying oncoming to bad. Once aimed "correctly" (IMO), they can't be beat, period.
Our heavy haul fleet "had" several trucks w/ LED headlights. Only 1 was aimed decent, AWESOME lighting. The ones that weren't, absolutely miserable driving at night. A Mag light worked better.
I put Rigid DOT legal LED fogs on my pick-up. Spent several hours getting the aim just right. No flashes from on-coming and WOW..makes night driving enjoyable again. Stupid spendy but worth 5 times what I paid for them in lighting performance. The bike is fixing to get a set as well.
The Daymakers on my bike are hands down the absolute best lighting available, next to adaptive lighting, for a bike. Yes, the beam cut off takes some getting used to, but again, proper aiming is everything.
I ride EVERY day in a city where most cagers would just as soon run me over as not. Running the main headlight on low and the "passing lamps" on as well, I'm not seeing any indication that the cagers don't see my lights. Riding a bike that looks REALLY similar to a LEO probably helps here as well.
The ONLY complaint I have, is now at night when out on the back roads, I see all the little critters hiding just off the shoulder.

Quick Reply: LED Headlights - Facts & Opinion