Sponsored by:

LED Headlights - Facts & Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 06:00 PM
bill_1202
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruzer Dude
I had a Trucklite and agree that looked off at any angle in the daytime but great at night. I'm looking at trying one of these from Amazon that have matching aux lamps:

Amazon.com: GENSSI LED Headlight Fits Harley Motorcycles (Single 7 Inch Round Projector LED Headlight, Chrome): Automotive

This headlight is based off of the 8700 and not the 8700 Evo 2. I would not buy this light myself but to each his own...

Old 02-08-2016, 06:06 PM
bill_1202
Road Master

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rider
Looks like HD updated the projector LED with the JW Speaker Evolution 2 headlamp. At least it looks very similar... http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/le...0-evolution-2/
$600 through HD and you get the HD logo on the lamp!?...

About $75.00 more than original gen I Projector Daymaker at the $525.99 cost. Looks like they have added the 8700 Evo 2 branded for HD at a $599.95. $75.00 more and they are still listing 2 separate part numbers. So the answer is it's an upgrade to the gen I Daymaker...

Old 02-08-2016, 06:08 PM
bill_1202
Road Master

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rider
Looks like HD updated the projector LED with the JW Speaker Evolution 2 headlamp. At least it looks very similar... http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/le...0-evolution-2/
$600 through HD and you get the HD logo on the lamp!?...

Or you can just buy the JW Speaker 8700 Evo 2 for less than $270 and it's pretty much the same exact light:

Amazon.com: JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 - 7" Round LED Headlight - Chrome: Automotive Amazon.com: JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 - 7" Round LED Headlight - Chrome: Automotive

Old 02-08-2016, 06:23 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
LED's have a great beam and increase visibility during daylight. Their problem at least in my experience is they have little to no side projection which is extremely important for after dark riding. 99 percent of my riding is daylight so i really love that be noticed lighting. If i rode substantially after dark i wouldn't have LED headlights as my main source of lighting. Give me a big bright Halogen for that purpose. I need to see way off the road sides with my high beams on for critters. LEDs don't reach out to the sides like other bulbs do.
If you think led doesn't reach out sideways as far as a halogen then you have never tried a Jw speaker evo2.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:32 PM
tbrince
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by InthewindMN
If you think led doesn't reach out sideways as far as a halogen then you have never tried a Jw speaker evo2.
+1 Or properly aimed a HD Daymaker ,Gen 1. I installed a black projector took three try's but when I was done my Daymaker easily beat my stock dual halogen. In every way. I ride at night.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:57 AM
weezl
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustrtal
Below are the Generally accepted Truths (otherwise known as opinions) found on other forum threads, personal experience and Youtube reviews, etc.:
· The Projector lights have fuller more even light patterns but tend to be narrow beams
· The Reflectors are not as full of a pattern but are diffused further side to side.
· The Reflectors are not as easily seen during the daylight by other motorists from angles other than straight on
· The Projectors work well when paired with matching spot/auxiliary lights especially when the spot/auxiliary lights are modified to stay (harness on pre-’14, flash on ’14) on with the high beams
· The Reflectors work well when there are no spots/auxiliary lights to fill in the sides
· According to the JW Speaker website they are an OEM manufacturer for Harley Davidson and since the lights look very similar, it is likely that JW makes the HD Projector
· Peterson manufactures the HC branded reflector style light (not listed above) and Truck Lite makes the Kuryakyn Reflector Headlight.
· I could not find any definite information regarding the manufacturer of the HD Reflector. I have read countless threads where people claim it’s made by Truck Lite. To me (just my opinion) the HD bulb looks closer to the Peterson than the TL.

Please feel free to post up any additional facts or opinions that have been omitted or may need to be corrected. I will gladly add any other light or edit any of the above information.
i know that is old info now but the hd daymakers were jw 8700 non evo lights for a long time. not sure about now.

the other option i didn't see discussed is the jw 8790 which eliminates not being able to see when cornering

Old 03-24-2016, 09:24 AM
rydeer
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know which bulb is what, But My 06 Road King had a great light from H-D. My 16 Ultra "Daymaker" S**KS.I have just reaimed it higher as I read In a different post. We will see.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:04 PM
weezl
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not 100% sure, but it looks like (via observation only) that the original 8700 from jw speaker, has the upper and lower, round projectors the same size, where as the evo and evo 2 headlight has a smaller upper projector.

I will definately be going with the 8790 when I do the headlight on my bike, as AFAIK, it's the only purpose built motorcycle headlight, the rest were designed as a universal, multi purpose headlight for industry and/or motorcycle

Old 03-26-2016, 09:40 PM
scooper321
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Racin929
I realize that Roadkings are the exception, But I wouldnt pay for a daymaker as long as the TL or Cree LED's are out there. The Cree H11's are way better IMO. The TL is a good alternative to the Daymaker, but the H11 Sirius Cree's are way better. $75 a pop isnt bad either.
You know, the one thing I haven't found in the forum is anyone talking about using those Sirius Cree's in a single-bulb system (pre-Rushmore?). My 2007 RK uses an H4 bulb. I can get these Sirius bulbs in an H4 version (but I have to buy 2 of them...grrrrr). The H4 say that have Hi/Lo functionality, but since no one has done it in the forums yet, I don't know if the light pattern, the spread, the daytime visibility, etc., is any good. Someone asked about these in one of the Sirius thread you had last year. But he got no reply. I don't expect you to know, since that's not your bike type. But it looks like those of us with single-bulb HL's are back to pioneering, a al Rocket67!

What I did find, however, was that FuelMoto makes a (single) H4 LED replacement that claims 2500 lumens (not sure if that's at high, or low, or combined) at 600K. It sounds similar. At $49.95 it might be worth the experiment. But then, it won't match (colorwise) the H3 halogens I have in my Kuryakyn aux lights.

Last edited by scooper321; 03-26-2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:44 AM
Martck29
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the evo 2. Installed it yesterday and haven't had a chance to see ihow it works on the road. This is how it looks in the garage on high and low.

Attached Thumbnails LED Headlights - Facts & Opinion-image.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
JD HD (03-27-2016)

Quick Reply: LED Headlights - Facts & Opinion