Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tech advice needed, oil temp gage

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 01:44 PM
DC2009EGUC
Road Captain
Received 103 Likes on 50 Posts

Technically you can use the infotainment ambient air temperature as a digital temperature monitor for something like perhaps the engine oil temperature. Why--The digital gauge is just an indicator/a node device, connected in parallel to the actual ambient temperature probe/sensor. As long as you do not disconnect the electrical wire from the temp probe to the ECM, you might be ok, however, the HDLAN or CANBUS, may throw an error code, so you need to find out the resistance or impedance of the digital monitor and simulate that removed electrical load...kind of like using a load resistor when converting from analog lights to LEDs

However, I am not sure how high the infotainment digital gauge will read in terms of degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit...when sending from the engine motor oil...Another issue is the '13 & below HD oil temp probe resistance may not be correctly calibrated/compatible with the '14 digital readout...I guess the only way to find out is get the HD oil temp probe, connect to the the '14 digital air temp gauge, dip the HD oil probe in a boiling pot of water at "sea level" and see if you get a read out of 100 Celsius or 212 Fahrenheit, and let us all know...

How this helps...

Old 07-10-2014, 03:00 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by DC2009EGUC
Technically you can use the infotainment ambient air temperature as a digital temperature monitor for something like perhaps the engine oil temperature. Why--The digital gauge is just an indicator/a node device, connected in parallel to the actual ambient temperature probe/sensor. As long as you do not disconnect the electrical wire from the temp probe to the ECM, you might be ok, however, the HDLAN or CANBUS, may throw an error code, so you need to find out the resistance or impedance of the digital monitor and simulate that removed electrical load...kind of like using a load resistor when converting from analog lights to LEDs

However, I am not sure how high the infotainment digital gauge will read in terms of degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit...when sending from the engine motor oil...Another issue is the '13 & below HD oil temp probe resistance may not be correctly calibrated/compatible with the '14 digital readout...I guess the only way to find out is get the HD oil temp probe, connect to the the '14 digital air temp gauge, dip the HD oil probe in a boiling pot of water at "sea level" and see if you get a read out of 100 Celsius or 212 Fahrenheit, and let us all know...

How this helps...
You should look at the wiring schematics. You cannot unhook the AAT. It is not connected in parallel. It is wired directly into the BCM & the BCM shares that info with the ECM & the Infotainment system via CANBUS.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:21 PM
DC2009EGUC
Road Captain
Received 103 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
You should look at the wiring schematics. You cannot unhook the AAT. It is not connected in parallel. It is wired directly into the BCM & the BCM shares that info with the ECM & the Infotainment system via CANBUS.
Yup, quite physically challenging to attempt this, not to mention the complexity of interfacing to the CANBUS. Probably easier to just install a separate temp gauge...thxs

Old 07-10-2014, 10:26 PM
02BlueDeuce
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Just Go with the Dakota Digital set up it gives you oil temp and a whole lot more : http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd948.htm

2014 and up Replacement Touring Gauges
From Dakota Digital

Click to ZOOM!

2014 and up Replacement Touring Gauges

The all new Dakota Digital instrumentation for the 2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide, Road Glide, Ultra Limited and Tri Glide is here! Dakota Digital continues to be the leader and forerunner in innovation of aftermarket Direct Fit, Plug and Play instrumentation for Harley Davidson bikes. Not only does the MCL-3014 display of every option that is available on your current gauge package, but also adds vibrant blue or red digital readouts with improved functionality and visibility over the OEM!
MCL-3014 utilizes the stock chrome trim rings from the OEM gauges.
•Speedometer
•Tachometer with bar graph Tachometer that wraps around the crown of the Tachometer.
•Oil Temperature (sender included)
•Volts
•Fuel Level wraps around the crown of the Speedometer
•Gear Position
•Clock
•Odometer
•A & B Trip meters
•Service Meter (miles until next service)
•Performance Meters ◦1/4 mile Speed and Time
◦0-60 time
◦High Speed and RPM recall

•Indicators: ◦Turn Signals, High Beam, Cruise Control, Check Engine, Security, ABS and Reverse and Parking Brake (available on Tri-Glide).

Additional readouts can be added to the MCL-3014 through the use of the Dakota Digital MBM expansion modules:

Air Suspension Pressure (single or dual readings):
MBM-19 - Includes 1 sender. Additional sender SEN-1901 sold separately

Boost Pressure
MBM-09 - Sender included

GPS-Powered Compass
MBM-17 - Sender Integrated

Old 07-13-2014, 09:10 AM
Badbird
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah so!
Thx.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:13 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Ouch, a thousand bucks for a oil temp gauge. DD makes kick a** stuff but not a fan on the displays. I have a set in a 49 pick up but has the proper replica gauge look with modern features. Mike

Old 07-13-2014, 07:35 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Radams
Harley makes a kit for this. You remove the air temperature gauge and install the oil temperature gauge in its place. The gauge plugs into the air temperature plug. Then you run a wire from the sensor installed in the oil pan. The Harley part number 70900283. I've installed this and it works great.
Originally Posted by Badbird
'09 Road Glide.
I may be missing something
Originally Posted by Sam2010
people are giving advice that do not understand the 2014 bike
Yup.

WHY, for the life of me I don't understand, does anyone really care about oil temp?

What good is that number?

Nobody has ever had a problem with their oil temp until they install an oil temp gauge, and then it's OMG the SKY is falling....

I don't even think the PV2 reads oil temp anywhere.

Why?

Because it DOESN'T MATTER.