Sponsored by:

Worth Trading up For?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 09:45 AM
MaceWindu
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth Trading up For?

Hello Forum members! I own a 2011 Ultra Classic, and I'm wondering if the improvements on the 2014 Ultra and Limited are worth considering a trade in for. I've read some of the problems with a buggy infotainment system, coolant leaks on the Limited, and a clutch problem.

All these things aside, how many have made a trade in for the new bikes? How do you all like the improvements? The linked brakes, for example?

Old 05-29-2014, 10:26 AM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would test ride one to decide for yourself. As far as I know the clutch issue has been resolved. I can't speak for the other issues. I have the 4.3" system that has been quirk free for me, and I don't have a Limited with the cooling. I came from a Dyna, so it was a huge upgrade for me.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:43 AM
06glider
Novice
Talking

Howdy, I went from 2011 Streetglide to a 14 triglide and can't stop riding it, No infotainment probs works and sounds awsome, No coolant leaks and i've been riding in LA at close to 100 degree, she still gets hot but bearable, and the linked brakes work well we put a 1000 miles in a few days from LA to Yosemite and had the greatest time with no prob from 1000 ft elevation to 7,200 feet at Glacier Point, and in june were going to take it from LA to Vancouver , CN. So in my opinion buy the 14 Thanks

Last edited by 06glider; 05-29-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:09 PM
DC2009EGUC
Road Captain
Received 103 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MaceWindu
Hello Forum members! I own a 2011 Ultra Classic, and I'm wondering if the improvements on the 2014 Ultra and Limited are worth considering a trade in for. I've read some of the problems with a buggy infotainment system, coolant leaks on the Limited, and a clutch problem.

All these things aside, how many have made a trade in for the new bikes? How do you all like the improvements? The linked brakes, for example?
Its well worth it!...I just traded my '09 Ultra for the '14 Limited last weekend. However believe I got a fair trade value on my 09 Ultra, being a repeat customer at my local dealer, but you still have to haggle as they will always try to "low ball" you. Do your homework and take time to negotiate with your other local dealer, start with, what is the door price, and negotiate your trade. Print & take a copy of the NADA & Kelly blue book guide with so you are well informed, then pick a final number that your comfortable and stay firm, be prepared to walk away from the deal if both of you cannot meet what's fair.

Good luck and let me tell you, it is well worth it!

Last edited by DC2009EGUC; 05-29-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:25 AM
tgmaster2
Novice

I had a '12 Street Glide and after the release in Denver this year I was told to trade mine in immediately. I have been a HD customer for a while, so I got a great deal on my trade-in and new SGS. This bike is amazing. I haven't even thought twice about my '12. It is so responsive, and the linked braking is a huge difference. I also can not believe how much the vent in the fairing helps. I have been traveling at speeds of 85+ and have closed the vent just to see the difference, and it is night and day. That vent really gives your head and neck a break from the constant battle. Also, with that vent I have not had to change my windshield. The bike also feels lighter to me overall, and that has been a help only being 5'8". The infotainment system, for me, has been incredible. I love the GPS. (keep in mind I use it like a normal GPS and I have not plotted out ride on the Harley website. I know most guys are complaining about this feature) Lastly, the look of this bike has not gone unnoticed. I have people all the time tell me how much they love the new front rim and overall look of the new touring bikes. My advice to you is to trade that puppy in.... if it is in your budget to do so... DON'T HESITATE!!! They ride is worth it and so are all of the changes that Harley did!!! Be safe out there

Old 06-02-2014, 08:46 AM
NiteOwlNY
Tourer

As far as the infotainment goes, there's a group who want more from it than it was designed to do, a dedicated GPS will have much better GPS features. All I know is it does more than the infotainment system in my car that I paid 65k for, 4 years ago! My car doesn't allow you to insert a USB stick and upgrade the software over time...

Old 06-02-2014, 08:47 AM
monza66mo
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I kind of traded "down" from a '10 CVO Street Glide to the '14 SGS. I was concerned that the new 103 HO engine would be a dog compared to the 110 stage II I had. To my surprise, the 103 performs great, with plenty of top end for passing on the interstate. I haven't noticed anything remarkable about the new breaks but I had anti-lock on my '10 and I really haven't had any panic stops yet. The new vent in the faring seems to make a big difference in taking away any buffeting but I'm now getting a lot of air from below that I need to work on eliminating. The stock seat is awful but I expected that and have a Mustang on there now. The nav/entertainment system is great, easy to use with the controls under the grips. This is a huge improvement over having my Ipod mounted on the handlebar. The new sadlebag latches are amazing! All in all, I'm glad I traded.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:57 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

I would take a 14 SG over any 10 CVO all day long.... IMO my 10 SG does not come close to the 14 SG.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:16 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

I tested a 14, and immediately traded in my '11 Road Glide Ultra.

Worth it?

Psssssh... DUH!

Old 06-02-2014, 09:30 AM
Harttoo
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

I traded a 2012 Limited for a 2014 limited.Twin cooling is much more comfortable to ride and sit at idle.Led headlight and passing lamps are very bright and cover a wide area at night.Linked brakes are great.More stable feel when braking.Hydraulic clutch is easier to pull than previous clutch.The radio alone is worth trading for,no more cd's .One usb drive holds all You want to hear.Saddle bags You can open and close while seated.Heated grips take the chill off in the rain.I have had no problems or coolant leaks in 3800 miles.
The bike performs well,alot of Guys are leaving stock or slip-ons only.
OK,here's what I don't like.Windshield too low,get hit with bugs.Bought a LRS 12".Gear indicator only works while moving,So throw in neutral at stops. Beyond that,it is a "joy" to ride!!

Quick Reply: Worth Trading up For?