Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Shack Siren on 2014 FLHTK

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 05:46 AM
smokingpig
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Harley Hound57, that is exactly what i needed to see... will get mine installed this afternoon after work...

Old 05-27-2014, 07:18 AM
wojo1965
Cruiser

Originally Posted by smokingpig
Thanks Harley Hound57, that is exactly what i needed to see... will get mine installed this afternoon after work...
May I ask for the part number on the siren and also where did you get the plug?

Thanks
Wojo

Old 05-27-2014, 07:55 AM
Harley Hound57
Road Captain

Originally Posted by wojo1965
May I ask for the part number on the siren and also where did you get the plug?

Thanks
Wojo

I got the part number from the other thread for both and ordered the plug online.

Here you go
273-079 - 12VDC Piezo Siren (US$5.49)

The other thread
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-2011-rgc.html

Last edited by Harley Hound57; 05-27-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:17 AM
wojo1965
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Harley Hound57
I got the part number from the other thread for both and ordered the plug online.

Here you go
273-079 - 12VDC Piezo Siren (US$5.49)

The other thread
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-2011-rgc.html

Thanks

Old 05-27-2014, 04:08 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
...Radio Shack siren has always worked AS GOOD as the Harley one, and it's $94 less expensive.
Yup, 6 bucks. I bought 4 of them last time I was in there, put them on mine, my OL's and my best friends, and still have one on the shelf.

Instead of $400, I spent $24.

There are things I think Harley does better than anyone else, and are worth the money.

There are things I think Harley sucks at, and WAY over-charge. The siren and garage door opener are two examples of this.

You are comparing Apples to Oranges though. The HD Siren is an audible siren AND a remote pager transmitter/antenna. The $24 solution is just an audible siren.

If you just want an audible siren, I agree the HD is overpriced. If you also want the remote pager transmitter and antenna, there is no other choice but to go the HD route.

That's what I did and then added the re-chargable pager. It's worth the $$ for me for the piece of mind that no one is messing with my bike when it's out of sight. I'd actually choose the remote pager over the audible siren if I was forced to.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:54 PM
smokingpig
Cruiser

Originally Posted by offthewall
You are comparing Apples to Oranges though. The HD Siren is an audible siren AND a remote pager transmitter/antenna. The $24 solution is just an audible siren.

If you just want an audible siren, I agree the HD is overpriced. If you also want the remote pager transmitter and antenna, there is no other choice but to go the HD route.

That's what I did and then added the re-chargable pager. It's worth the $$ for me for the piece of mind that no one is messing with my bike when it's out of sight. I'd actually choose the remote pager over the audible siren if I was forced to.
I get what your saying offthewall, but at this point i am not ready to invest in a siren/antenna/pager... the $6.00 siren will do just what i need, and that is deter the curious. if some one wants to steal it, they will find a way, and they won't be deterred by any alarm. at work i park in a parking garage, and work in a concrete building, so i doubt the pager would work, there are cameras everywhere, they work and they do record. if that doesn't deter a thief, then thats what insurance is for... i'm not that attached to my motorcycle's.. they are recreation and transportation.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:25 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Just to be clear, that $24 is for FOUR sirens.

$6.00 each, give or take.

What good is the pager?

You're a mile away from your bike, and your pager goes off....

At that point, Insurance is what protects you.

I've seen the videos, if they want your bike, they are going to have it, in under 20 seconds, 4 guys and a van, bike gone. With or without siren, pager, or anything short of you being with it....

Old 05-30-2014, 06:58 AM
John_HD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the radio shack siren on my old bike. It works ok. Its definately not as loud as the HD siren. It also will sometimes not chirp for the short burst signals.

I also know you can run 2 Radioshack sirens in there to make it louder. I didn't bother with a plug and the wires stayed in place for 3 years and counting.

Also that pager is crap. More junk to carry. And Pager plus HD siren in $200. Comparing that to a $6 siren is silly.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:54 PM
Bigboyride
Tourer

Kutter Harley both for $134. Still more than $6 but as offthewall said it is oranges to apples. Some of us like having the pager. True if they want it they going to get it, but sitting in a restaurant and someone just wants to mess with it, it would be nice to know and maybe walk out and see what's up. Both work good but are totally different for different needs. Thank God we have choices and in this case not really a right or wrong choice.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:56 AM
Rigormootis
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this radio shack siren as a deterrent, It works perfectly. For 6 bucks, its not a bad thing while I'm in work or at a rally, to have it make some noise if someone messes with it.

Quick Reply: Radio Shack Siren on 2014 FLHTK