Sponsored by:

Old map DB in GPS

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014 | 06:56 PM
plongson
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by emu309
I use a 5 year old undate in my Toyota truck. Almost never see a variance. The type of roads that I like to ride on my bike have been there for years and I hope they don't change for a long time. Seems to me to be a petty issue to complain about.
Well...you'll NEVER see a variance if there is no change...and you'll never find anything if everything has changed. LOL

Don't know what to tell ya, but old maps are only good if you are looking for old roads.

As for being "petty", that is pretty hash for expecting a 2014 map set on a 2014 GPS.

NOT getting a 2014 map set on a 2014 GPS is Not getting what I paid for.

I like to get what I pay for, but that's just me...

Old 05-23-2014 | 08:28 AM
jkane13
Tourer

Been biting my tongue on this topic. I am one who is not happy with many things about the GPS. However, the map age is one that is not such a big deal. I do agree that HD should give us at least 1 free map update though.

I say this because roads do not change that much that fast. Although there are some new roads here and there, most of them are placed where old roads were and that means there is a road on the map already. Big cities do have changes in their freeway interchanges. However, even in good GPS's that takes a year or 2 to catch up to the GPS map.

So, for me, an old map is still pretty usable. I learn where it is wrong and work around it. This is a nice to have feature, but not a show stopper like many of the other issues!

Old 05-23-2014 | 04:44 PM
SunPilot
Tourer

Originally Posted by plongson
Well...you'll NEVER see a variance if there is no change...and you'll never find anything if everything has changed. LOL

Don't know what to tell ya, but old maps are only good if you are looking for old roads.

As for being "petty", that is pretty hash for expecting a 2014 map set on a 2014 GPS.

NOT getting a 2014 map set on a 2014 GPS is Not getting what I paid for.

I like to get what I pay for, but that's just me...
I'm with you...I think since I paid primo dollars for the GPS, it should at least be current, or a free update should be included

Old 05-24-2014 | 06:45 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Just got a new GMC truck built in March,2014 and the map is first quarter 2013...being as the only map currently available for our bikes is the 2012 version maybe Harley will do the right thing and give us all one free update to the newer version when it arrives. Maybe wishful thinking.

Old 05-24-2014 | 08:12 AM
kc hog
Tourer

From what Harley told me they will be releasing an Infotainment update with the 2015 bikes. (Great customer support!) I'm not holding my breath. They would not say what issues will be addressed, it was hinted the 9 wave points limitation would be changed.

Old 05-24-2014 | 09:45 AM
SunPilot
Tourer

Originally Posted by kc hog
From what Harley told me they will be releasing an Infotainment update with the 2015 bikes. (Great customer support!) I'm not holding my breath. They would not say what issues will be addressed, it was hinted the 9 wave points limitation would be changed.

Did they tell you how deep into our pockets they will jam their greedy hands?

Old 07-30-2014 | 12:38 PM
jkane13
Tourer

The .5 release has a Q2 2013 map in it. Not fully up to date, but newer. Who knows, maybe the way they date their maps is not accurate either. Maybe other GPS companies are really calling year old map data by the date of the release instead of when the maps started being produced. Just saying ... Even my Garmin that releases maps multiple times a year for free seems to be a year or 2 behind on mapping the new interchanges where I live.

Old 07-30-2014 | 01:48 PM
Wayne Carlton
Cruiser

I was told when I bought the bike that you would get 1 free map update a year

Old 07-30-2014 | 01:56 PM
WaucondaRider
Tourer

Originally Posted by kc hog
I was told the same thing when I called HD Customer Care yesterday.

Old 07-30-2014 | 02:03 PM
WaucondaRider
Tourer

Folks, even Google maps are at least a year old. The logistics of providing up to the minute updated maps is impossible.

Quick Reply: Old map DB in GPS