Sponsored by:

HIDs for Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 09:35 PM
martinjd
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HIDs for Street Glide

I purchased the Dynamic Ringz from Custom Dynamics to replace the front turn signals and am considering replacing the halogens with either the DayMaker or some HIDs to get a similar color to match the Custom Dynamics LEDs, make the bike more visible, and provide better light for night time riding.

I have heard a lot of complaints about the DayMaker and saw where I could get a complete plug and play Xenon HID kit from https://www.socalmotogear.com/Produc...ductCode=HDBHK for $179. Does anyone have any experience with this kit or any advice/recommendations on the best route to go or best product to install? I had also read that if getting the hi-beam as an HID I would need some auxiliary lighting due to the delay when switching to hi-beam and wonder if I should only use the HID for the low beam or if using additional lighting what setup would be recommended? It is my understanding that the HIDs would actually run cooler than the halogens and draw less power. Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:14 PM
looneytune
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope you get some solid answers. It's been asked before, but the responses are either vague or they never come. I might try the same set-up from Socal. It's on sale now.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:39 PM
wt street bob
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed

Old 05-19-2014, 04:43 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

The TL PH 7 LED which is a reflector type headlight is plug and play with the HD pig tail and is only $160. The reflector bulbs is the newer technology than the projector bulbs that give the LED's a bad rap.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:06 AM
DeeRoe
Road Master
Veteran: Marine CorpVeteran: Air Force
Received 865 Likes on 328 Posts

I had considered doing the HID conversion from socal. After reading much on the forums, and REALLY paying attention to bikes that had them installed, I decided against them (personal choice.....nothing against those that have them) I do a TON of group ridding, and noticed that those that had them installed and rode behind me, pretty much aggravated the **** out of me with their annoying brightness. Do some reading on the forums, and decide what works best for you.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:09 PM
martinjd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by daddybones
I had considered doing the HID conversion from socal. After reading much on the forums, and REALLY paying attention to bikes that had them installed, I decided against them (personal choice.....nothing against those that have them) I do a TON of group ridding, and noticed that those that had them installed and rode behind me, pretty much aggravated the **** out of me with their annoying brightness. Do some reading on the forums, and decide what works best for you.
I have read a lot of different threads but the only consensus so far has been that the DayMaker has issues when in turns. I wonder if the brightness issue you mention is a result of not adjusting the headlights correctly. I like that they are really bright but certainly wouldn't want to blind anyone.

Last edited by martinjd; 05-19-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:13 PM
martinjd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by looneytune
I hope you get some solid answers. It's been asked before, but the responses are either vague or they never come. I might try the same set-up from Socal. It's on sale now.
Agreed. I have found in searching through the posts that there are no clear answers. I guess maybe there is a personal component to it but for a given model of bike you would think that someone had tried them all and concluded that one was a better solution than the others. I hope to hear from someone that has some experience with the HIDs as well as the new LEDs.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:18 PM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

CD Rinz with TL PH7.

Low Beam:

High beam:

Old 05-19-2014, 07:44 PM
martinjd
Intermediate

I went ahead and purchased the HIDs I mentioned in the original post and will try them out. If they don't work out I will return them and try the TL PH 7 LED mentioned above.

Last edited by martinjd; 05-19-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:46 PM
looneytune
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me know how they work out at night. I did a group ride with a guy that had HIDs. They were pretty bright in my mirrors during the day. If they were that bright at night, but not blinding, I think they would work out well. If not, I'll get the HD reflector.

Quick Reply: HIDs for Street Glide