Sponsored by:

HIDs for Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 08:02 PM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Hozzie
I have some experience with HID's on another bike I had (Honda VFR) and I liked them very well, but there are a couple of things to consider in my opinion outside of just HID vs. the Daymaker Reflector. I also have a new SGS and I hate the stock light so I am also looking to replace it. Based on all of my research, the only things that have kept me from going directly to the Daymaker Reflector are the comments about it not being very good in corners as well as the cost. I can get over the cost, but not having as good of light spread is a concern for me.

I learned something on my other bike that I think was useful and I would also like to do on the SGS if I go HID. First is that I only want the low beam to be HID. There are a couple of reasons for this and one is related to a second thing I think you should do if you go HID and that is put on a delay relay so the light doesn't start until the bike is running. This is beneficial as it allows the ballast to have full voltage and not compete with the starter which can cause issues.

Going back a bit. The reason I only want a low beam HID is that it allows me to keep (or in my case I want to update to an LED) the high beam. This way if the HID fails for some reason, you can continue with the high beam without being stranded. Second reason for this is when you only turn the key to the accessory position, you can still switch to the high beam for light if needed and leave the HID off so the ballast doesn't have to do the high voltage charge and create the pull on the battery. The third reason for this is I don't personally like the idea of a high and low beam using the same bulb, but only getting the change by the bulb moving. This just seems like one more thing that can go wrong. The last reason is that if you use the "flash" function of your headlight (pushing in on the low beam selector) I don't believe that it can or will work effectively with the dual use HID bulb. I want something that the low beam stays on as is and the hi beam flashes.

I am actually waiting to call socalmotogear with a couple of questions. They have listed an LED high option, but they don't allow for picking it in the combo box. I don't know if you have to call and ask or if it isn't available anymore. I also want to see if there is any delay relay built into their kit. These are two key items for me to be comfortable with an HID kit. I would also prefer a 5k light vs 6k ,but that isn't a deal breaker.
It's the Daymaker PROJECTOR that is not good in corners. The Daymaker REFLECTOR is a newer light designed to spread the beam wider like the TL-PH 7. The drawback of the reflector type bulbs is the daytime visibility by other drivers. I solved that with the CD RINZ.

Last edited by Rustrtal; 05-22-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:38 PM
Hozzie
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rustrtal
It's the Daymaker PROJECTOR that is not good in corners. The Daymaker REFLECTOR is a newer light designed to spread the beam wider like the TL-PH 7. The drawback of the reflector type bulbs is the daytime visibility by other drivers. I solved that with the CD RINZ.
I received a response from socalmoto and they didn't have the delay relay and the LED they were using they said they quit using because they weren't bright enough. He said they are testing some new ones now.

I was planning to get the CD LED kit for the front and rear turns, so I just went ahead and got the Daymaker Reflector to go with it. A bit more expensive, but I wasn't sure how far out the TL PH7 stuck out and I didn't really want to have to buy another ring for it. $334 to my door with the wiring harness wasn't terrible and I think it will do everything I need it to. I won't be doing a ton of night riding.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:15 AM
GoldenHands
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Martinjd. Where is that non interference spot? I Just purchased an SoCal dual HID kit for my FLHXS rushmore. Waiting to be delivered.

Anyone of you used this item for the radio interference?

http://www.headwinds.com/mm5/merchan...Category_Code=

I went for the Socal Dual HID for maximum sight. Hope to bypass the radio interference, cause My ride has the hidden antenna in the batwings....
Anyone with the same setup already?

Some mentioned using clip-on ferrites did the job...

I dropped SoCal a mail..

Last edited by GoldenHands; 12-06-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Msquad
Road Captain
Received 193 Likes on 131 Posts

I have the SoCal dual HID kit - it is great. But...I do have some interference on some stations. I mostly do bluetooth and that is fine. AM radio is fine too. But with my new V&H 2-1 Pro-Pipe, I don't think I'll be hearing any interference . I have a '14 SG BTW.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:52 AM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by martinjd
I purchased the Dynamic Ringz from Custom Dynamics to replace the front turn signals and am considering replacing the halogens with either the DayMaker or some HIDs to get a similar color to match the Custom Dynamics LEDs, make the bike more visible, and provide better light for night time riding.

I have heard a lot of complaints about the DayMaker and saw where I could get a complete plug and play Xenon HID kit from https://www.socalmotogear.com/Produc...ductCode=HDBHK for $179. Does anyone have any experience with this kit or any advice/recommendations on the best route to go or best product to install? I had also read that if getting the hi-beam as an HID I would need some auxiliary lighting due to the delay when switching to hi-beam and wonder if I should only use the HID for the low beam or if using additional lighting what setup would be recommended? It is my understanding that the HIDs would actually run cooler than the halogens and draw less power. Thanks in advance for any input.
I just installed the Dual HID kit from Socalmotogear. I have each ballast installed on the left and right sides of the headlight...stuck to the inside of the fairing. The lights are very bright, you can even see them shining on the back of a car during the day.

I have the HD powered antenna, a Rockford Fosgate amp and the HD garage door transmitter. The only issue is the garage door transmitter has lost its range, only works in the garage...not in the driveway. Going to move it under the seat and see what happens. its currently sitting where the CB module goes.

No Static on the radio but I do get a very slight click sound through the speakers when I switch on the hi beam.
I really see no need for the hi-beam anyway other than it adds a little distance. It does come on slow so you really don't notice it right away. But the main light seems almost instant, not sure why because they are both the same ballast and bulbs.
If I had to do it all over...I would just get the single unit or the one with the LED hi-beam option.

They are coming out with a new LED Headlight that they are sending me to try, I got chosen to be the "Test Bike" Should have it Monday, I will be posting pictures and a review next week.

Barry

Old 12-08-2014, 01:16 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,726 Likes on 844 Posts

I am considering having Clark Griswald do my lighting on my 14 RK. I hear he is the best, especially this time of year.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:42 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

There is another option now as well which is the Headwinds LED headlight. I am not sure of the dual bulb headlight uses two H4's or something different but the H4 would work where the main bulb is. I recently put one in my Road Glide and left HID in the other side. I like the LED better than the HID and have the second one sitting here on my desk for install when I have time. Retail on these is $99 per bulb but I am sure I can make you guys a deal on one or two. Pm or call for specific pricing please. Here is my single beam 35W HID on the left and the LED bulb on bright on the right.