2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is why I will likely never buy parts from Harley...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 01:54 PM
SecondGear
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't like the practice either but think it's more of a way to maximize how many parts can be used on various models. Instead of making X complete kits, they keep the parts separate and can control inventory more closely. And change more too.

I just bought a driver backrest and had to buy the bracket separately from the backrest. Ordering this way really is a PITA.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:55 PM
Betteroff
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket67
It's ok, Kuryakyn has one that is the entire bolt on peg.
That's what I bought after seeing how Harley sells there's.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:59 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Hozzie
Fromthe other side of this, I wanted to buy just the bracket because I bought newpassenger floorboards for my SGS and I want to take the stock passenger pegsand use them as my highway pegs. I
Originally Posted by Hozzie
f they only offered thehighway kits together, then I would be complaining you can't buy them withoutthe pegs. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I prefer to have options. Pricing is a whole differentmatter. I suspect if the prices were more in line with a complete kit, youwouldn't see it as a big deal.
Its more about getting theparts in the mail and finding out that you don’t have everything and thenhaving to go figure out what else you need to buy. If there was an option to buy as a complete KITor as parts that would be much better.

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
FirstHarley?
Yes.

Originally Posted by dyna07custom
Theyhave like 15 different peg choices and people get really into themes and wantthem to match

I get that but at least giveme an option to buy one part number and get all the parts that I need. They do that for almost every car that hasever been built. You can get the kit oryou can buy the parts separately. Buthey, I don’t have a problem buying a nice Japanese knock off as long as it’sdecent quality. I love the Irony.

Last edited by TexasMotorcycleRider; 05-14-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:04 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by SecondGear
I don't like the practice either but think it's more of a way to maximize how many parts can be used on various models. Instead of making X complete kits, they keep the parts separate and can control inventory more closely. And change more too.

I just bought a driver backrest and had to buy the bracket separately from the backrest. Ordering this way really is a PITA.
For what they charge they should be able to kit. I have been in supply chain a long time and getting companies to kit was always free of charge, can't cost that much to pull all the parts from the shelf and put in a box. Online it would just be a front end option.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:42 PM
thirstybob
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket67
For what they charge they should be able to kit. I have been in supply chain a long time and getting companies to kit was always free of charge, can't cost that much to pull all the parts from the shelf and put in a box. Online it would just be a front end option.
That's a good point.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:56 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Not everyone wants the same mounts for their highway pegs. I used the 3" adjustable ones, my friend used the 6" and another used the straight mount.

What purpose would it serve for me to buy the pegs with the straight mount? So I can pay more and throw them on a shelf?

I like the fact that I can mix and match

I am more upset that they sell the pegs separate then the mounts and neither includes peg bolts

Last edited by jcapps; 05-14-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:16 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I am buying the peg assembly just to protect the Lowers in the event of a drop. I don't think the engine guards will protect the lowers. Revco vendor here at Bike Week wanted $200 for both parts. May as well buy Harley Brand from Kutter. Less expensive. Probably better.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:43 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the wonderful world of HD,where everything is priced like gold.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:54 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeman54
Welcome to the wonderful world of HD,where everything is priced like gold.
NO That would be Polaris.....

Old 05-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I have had my fill of the wonderful world of Kuryakyn cheap stuff that doesn't fit right or chrome flakes or just looks cheesy. I prefer to buy my stuff to fit me and not the average person. I spent lots of money for my bike. If I decide to add something to it, I don't mind spending $20 extra to get something that looks quality and fits and lasts. Kuryakyn got me for the last time with handgrips that turned my hands black after a several hour ride.

Quick Reply: This is why I will likely never buy parts from Harley...