Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default cheating on my ultra and vrod

yep, I'm having an affair.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...66330100,d.cWc

Old 05-13-2014, 02:35 PM
baldguy13
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like Harley isn't the only one with buffeting issues. With all the clear plastic around the front end, it kind of reminds me of the Boy in the Bubble.

Seriously, I've had four Yamahas and loved them all.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:53 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 446 Posts

That bike had a choke and cassette player??????

Old 05-13-2014, 03:09 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Those things are the most top heavy, lumbering, gutless, sloppy handling touring bike I have ever ridden. Looked hard at em back when I had my 1986 venture royale. Decided I would far rather keep it, than buy it's newer brother.

And yea, they are still putting them out there, brand new, with a cassette player for gods sake. Not sure if they ever went to injection, but I doubt it. They need to put the poor thing down for gods sake.

Last edited by flyingace; 05-13-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:35 PM
wenterkin
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked at this bike before purchasing my limited. I like the way the bike looks and sitting on one in the showroom was nice...but....I was disappointed with the fit and finish. The bags seemed flimsy and the paint and striping was sub par. I haven't ridden one, and my impressions were based on one bike at one dealership. I've owed several yamies through the years, and all have been great bikes, but this one was not for me.

Last edited by wenterkin; 05-13-2014 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-13-2014, 06:49 PM
Harttoo
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

Matter of opinion,I know,but that is one ugly bike,second only to the Indian!!

Old 05-13-2014, 07:04 PM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

I wonder if the salesman at the dealership uses the Yamalube on the customers now, got a buddy that bought one last July, he's sick that he bought it and is trading it for a new Limited next week, he's also taking a "BIG" hit on trading it in!

Old 05-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Yep brand new 1980's bike. Never seen one other than the dealer to this day.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:30 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a 1999 Version. And I rode it until 2010 when I bought my 1st Harley, my 2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide.

I waited, and waited hoping that Yamaha would update the damn thing, drop the cassette, add; MP3, fuel injection, better trunk, better UI for their version of an infotainment system, bigger motor, change center weight and gravity.... Etc etc.

FlyingAce nailed a lot of the issues.

But it was my first touring bike, and I loved it, and we took it everywhere! No comparison to what I have now, night/day.

Hopefully Yamaha will get their act together, but too late for me, I am now 100% a Harley Man, especially with what MOCO did with these Rushmores, I am really sold, "gulp" the Koolaide is delicious!

Old 05-13-2014, 09:07 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristoHD
I had a 1999 Version. And I rode it until 2010 when I bought my 1st Harley, my 2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide.

I waited, and waited hoping that Yamaha would update the damn thing, drop the cassette, add; MP3, fuel injection, better trunk, better UI for their version of an infotainment system, bigger motor, change center weight and gravity.... Etc etc.

FlyingAce nailed a lot of the issues.
It was the one I really WANTED to like. More "traditional" (ie: like a Harley) styling, but with liquid cooling etc. One ride and that was over and done with. Could not believe how much of a downgrade it was compared to its ancestor (My 1986 Royale) That put me squarely looking at a GL1800. Great bike, but the riding position and lack of any personality were a problem for me, despite its amazing performance. (and it IS)

Fortunately, just 3 blocks down the road was the Harley dealer. Had never even considered them, figured no way in hell I could afford one. But figured WTH, Id stop in. Thats when I found, and rode, my 2003 EG Classic (used). One ride was all it took. Even the 88 inch could have left that Royal Star in the dust, and the handling was so much better. In about 2 blocks, I "GOT" it. Finally understood why Harley baggers are so popular.

Keep in mind, this was a 2003 EGC. And it beat the pants of that Royal Star (which has not changed one bit since it came out a LONG time ago) in every regard.

Put a 2003 Harley up against the venture, and it beats it.
Put a post 09 Harley up against the venture, and its beyond a joke.
Put a Rushmore Harley up against that venture, and you would need CPR cause you would die laughing cause Yamaha is still selling that poor sad excuse of a touring bike.

And your right, EVERYTHING about it, sans the motor perhaps, screams CHEAP and FLIMSLY and low grade.

To this day I would take my 1986 in a heartbeat over one of those things, and twice on Sunday.
Even as dated and 80s as it is, I STILL think its a good looking bike.

Last edited by flyingace; 05-13-2014 at 09:17 PM.

Quick Reply: cheating on my ultra and vrod