Sponsored by:

Foregiveness or Permission

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 09:16 AM
jagext
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foregiveness or Permission

As some of you know I have been approved for a new Ultra limited. I have been going back and forth with the wife on signing the papers. She wants to wait until my work gets going a little better. We up here in MN have had the second wettest April on record and being in the excavating business it's been a rough start. We know we can afford it but the budget has been tight this last month.

It's easier to ask for foregiveness than it its to ask for permission right!? I have been waiting to buy my first HD for 15 years now and really just want to do it.

I lost my little sister to car accident 11 years ago, we played Unknown Legend by Neil Young at her funeral (she loved to ride) and have planned to spread her ashes with some friends but I wanted to wait till I could do it off my own ride.

I heard that song two weeks ago and that's when I applied for the financing. I wasn't sure i would get it due to a business failure that I had.

Long story shorter I am at a crossroads. Love my wife but can't get that song out of my head.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:33 AM
dgreen1069
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally, I'm a firm believer in the old adages you only live once and life is short. My wife and I juggle between doing everything we want now and saving for our future.

If you really want the bike and can truly afford it, you should get it......just as soon as you convince your wife. It wouldn't be fair to her to do it with the intention of hoping she gets over it. I'm very lucky in that if I REALLY want something, my wife has always been supportive. On the flip side, I try to do the same for her. It has made life much easier for us (than my parents had it) as we have almost never argued about money during our 14 year marriage. Best of luck!

Old 04-30-2014, 09:39 AM
Bagged Out
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry about your loss. I lost my bro 5 years ago, it is devastating. Sounds to me like the wifey doesn't get how much this is affecting you? I would suggest you need some closure in regards to your sis. I spread my bro's ashes and it did help with that.
That all said - I agree, it is easier to ask forgiveness!

Old 04-30-2014, 09:42 AM
Harttoo
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

I lost My wife 14 years ago.All our discussions of things We would do when We retired were lost.I bought a new 2012 Limited when I learned My Sister had cancer,thinking it may not be long till I have issues.My Sister passed last month and ,happily,I still have no issues. I agree with dgreen1069,if You can afford it,go for it.Life is short and You may not have another oppurtunity.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:42 AM
Wayne Carlton
Cruiser

when I got my 09 I just brought it home and sprung it on my wife, She got over it but I did talk to her befor I got the 14. I think you ca only get away with it 1 time lol

Old 04-30-2014, 09:43 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i would suggest that you wait a while...an independent contractor in a seasonal business should have a year's worth of reserves to pay all bills and live on comfortably before buying any non essential items like a motorcycle. you have a short riding season in minnesota, and that bike is going to be parked several months a year, but the payments will still be due every month. JMO. everyone will flame me for saying this, but you asked. or at least buy a used bike for half the cost of that fancy new one...payments will be easier to make when times are slow.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:44 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

get the wifes approval. I am not ***** whipped but if you are that conflicted with this decision there is more to the story. You should buy when confident.
Now I sound like Doctor Phil .

Old 04-30-2014, 09:54 AM
jagext
5th Gear

Originally Posted by dan conner
i would suggest that you wait a while...an independent contractor in a seasonal business should have a year's worth of reserves to pay all bills and live on comfortably before buying any non essential items like a motorcycle. you have a short riding season in minnesota, and that bike is going to be parked several months a year, but the payments will still be due every month. JMO. everyone will flame me for saying this, but you asked. or at least buy a used bike for half the cost of that fancy new one...payments will be easier to make when times are slow.
I still own a snow plowing and ice dam removal business in the winter which does really well. I have been an employee of the excavating company for a year and a half now. I work year round for them and the nice thing about them is they let me run my snow plowing.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:56 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

If we all waited until we could afford things, none of us would have anything.

I would love to have enough put back to just go pay cash....

Old 04-30-2014, 10:00 AM
jagext
5th Gear

Originally Posted by oakmossy
get the wifes approval. I am not ***** whipped but if you are that conflicted with this decision there is more to the story. You should buy when confident.
Now I sound like Doctor Phil .
She runs the checkbook and budget I just sign my checks over. She wants a new kitchen, she got it. $3,000 washer and dryer, she got it. She's a great wife and mom and i love her. Just found out a friend I went to high school with little sister just died of brain cancer at 32.

I'm 34 and tomorrow isn't guarenteed for any of us. It's a dream of mine and I could of paid cash for it three months ago with my winter business but we paid off other things.

Quick Reply: Foregiveness or Permission