Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 mile service - Synthetic Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 08:12 PM
dgreen1069
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My bike hit 1000 miles yesterday and I started reading about others oil recommendations. After I read a couple of hundred posts, it was as clear as mud.

I was given a case of Syn3 and an oil filter from an uncle who sold his Harley about a year ago. I had planned on using Syn3 in the engine, primary, and tranny but started second guessing myself after reading all the posts. To make a long story short, I broke out the manual to see what MoCo recommends. The manual says to use Syn3 in the engine, primary, and tranny. It did stated Formula+ can be used in a pinch for the primary, but Syn3 is preferred. I ended up using Syn3 since it was recommended and I had plenty on hand.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:40 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 151 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
A recent thread mentioned that Harley synthetic was not a true synthetic but a blend, I'm going with that for my first service. I have a gift card so I'll use the dealer first time, after that I'll go to my regular (highly trusted) indy shop and talk to him about non-syn vs. blend vs. full syn. and go with his recommendations. Figure dino oil for the first 1000, HD blend (?) up to 5K and maybe full syn. after that.
I have gift card for the 1000 mile so i will go with what they use, during the next 5K I should gain a little more knowledge and if it seems synth is the way to go, i may just take over the oil changes with synth myself.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:59 AM
scott6610
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate all the replies on this subject...seems Syn is the way to go but also it doesn't seem to be a major impact depending on the way you look at it.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:38 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 198 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by buford
All 2014 CVO models come from the factory with Syn3 motor oil. It is a blended synthetic. I use Harley formula+ oil for the tranny and primary oil, and Mobile 1 V-Twin full synthetic for the motor.
Ditto !

Old 04-28-2014, 06:16 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

I plan on going with Red Line x 3. Motor oil 20/50, primary oil, and Shock Proof in the transmission. The RL 20/50 is apparently the only Group 5 synthetic for that price and their transmission oil is darn near famous. Their primary oil ,, why not ? RL at least addresses the clutch issue in their promotional material so its something they pay attention to. I get it that cheaper brands would no doubt do the job but none of it is cheap so for the difference in Px I'll humor myself with full synthetic Group 5 Red Line. Besides, you can cut the bottoms out of their neat containers and make excellent funnels out of em. Try that with your Mobil 1 .

Old 04-28-2014, 09:22 AM
jkane13
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my take. Synthetic is a form of extra insurance. The regluar oil has no problems with it. It does it's job. If you change oil regularly, then there is no reason not to use it. But, if you ride harder and/or tend to push the oil changes to their limit, synthetic will help make sure the oil is still performing as you need it to right up to the last mile before you change it.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:03 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 198 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
I plan on going with Red Line x 3. Motor oil 20/50, primary oil, and Shock Proof in the transmission. The RL 20/50 is apparently the only Group 5 synthetic for that price and their transmission oil is darn near famous. Their primary oil ,, why not ? RL at least addresses the clutch issue in their promotional material so its something they pay attention to. I get it that cheaper brands would no doubt do the job but none of it is cheap so for the difference in Px I'll humor myself with full synthetic Group 5 Red Line. Besides, you can cut the bottoms out of their neat containers and make excellent funnels out of em. Try that with your Mobil 1 .
I got a free Mobil 1 funnel by sending in the upc codes I cut off the 1 qt. plastic jugs. It was kind of messy work though. Parts store had no sense of humor. Just 'cause there was oil in the jugs . . . . . . .

Old 04-28-2014, 12:32 PM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just put Amsoil in mine when I did my 1k mile. The tech and service manager recommended (off the record) running the Amsoil in the engine, and the standard HD oils in the tranny and primary.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:01 PM
Imthatharleyguy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was always under the understanding that if there were to be condensation or moisture, It would blend with the regular oil to cause an emulsion, and still offer some lubrication, where as synthetic will not cause an emulsion with moisture, and leave free water particles to break down lubricating qualities.... May not effect everyone depending on your riding conditions, but being from Alberta where we can ride in 4 seasons in a day, I've always stuck with regular oil....

Old 05-29-2014, 05:30 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Really

Doesn't it seem as you read through theses oil treads and all the combinations people use in their machine...it really doesn't matter?
I never see hey I used that type oil and it wrecked my bike.
Just sayin
Hap

Quick Reply: 1000 mile service - Synthetic Oil?