2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody install an adjustable backrest themselves?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014 | 05:29 PM
Gasguzlr
|
Cruiser
Default Anybody install an adjustable backrest themselves?

And if you did, have you got any tips on how to deal with the screw that goes into that little slipnut used to mount the lever under the seat? Man, that thing is diabolically designed. I cannot seem to get it to thread, and it's difficult to reach behind the actuator plate with it in place. i'm about to hurl it into the abyss!!

If anyone has done this themselves, how did you get that thing to fit?

Thanks for any help.

Ross

Old 04-25-2014 | 05:44 PM
ravenron
Advanced

PM sent...

Old 04-25-2014 | 06:14 PM
Gliden
Club Member

I did it on an 09 frame. The directions did not agree with an 09 frame. They didn't make sense. I don't know if the 14 frame by the seat is the same but I remember improvising to get the handle attached.

I also remember taking it all off because I didn't like the way it looked.
I went and got a CVO fixed backrest. Love it.

Old 04-25-2014 | 07:12 PM
SecondGear
Road Captain

Is this the kit you're talking about?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...01-5259609a--1

I want to get a backrest but the HD version is around $260 for the adjustable. Others seem to be $150. I can't tell if the extra $100 is worth it or just the HD tax.

Gasguzlr, which did you choose?

Last edited by SecondGear; 04-25-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-25-2014 | 07:24 PM
skieverything
Tourer

I put the adjustable on my FLHTK, and I didn't have an issue. I want to say it took me less than an hour, and I won't own a bike with out one!! G

Old 04-25-2014 | 07:43 PM
Gasguzlr
|
Cruiser

Thanks guys, and especially to Ron for the PM. I ended up solving the problem shortly after I posted, as I'd been fighting with it since yesterday. I came home from work, posted, then went back to the garage.

I have the adjustable version, with the cable actuated incline. All of the install went smoothly, until I got to the actuator lever that moves the backrest.

The problem was that the assembly doesn't allow you to get in and turn the screw into the slipnut, as the switch box is in the way. I also could not get the screw to thread into the slipnut, but I ended up taking it out, rethreading it, and tightening up the assembly with it rotated out of position, then pushing/shoving it into place when it was as tight as I could get it while still being able to move it. Once in position, you cannot access the head of the bolt. Kind of frustrating. I don't think it's going anywhere though!!

It works awesome, but on the SG stock seat it sits a little high, but it snugs right into the small of my back really comfortably. It has a great range of movement, going all the way from not touching me to shoving me too far forward. It feels really solid while riding, and I think it was worth the extra cost over the fixed version.

I also have a Sundowner seat, and I haven't tried riding with it yet, but the backrest sits lower on that version, with less of the stem sticking out. Either way, I'll just use it mostly for long rides or trips.

Cheers guys, and thanks for the replies!

Ross

Old 04-25-2014 | 08:15 PM
TheLazyC
Cruiser

Glad you got it resolved. I installed the non-adjustable on on my old SG without issue. You can't go wrong with a back rest, first option I added to my new bike.

Old 04-25-2014 | 09:18 PM
ravenron
Advanced

Guzler...glad to hear you fixed the issue. I moved mine from my 09 before trading it in. Definitely needed for long trips. Rubber side down!!!

Ron

Old 04-25-2014 | 10:57 PM
The Nose
Intermediate

So what is a good backrest for the stock seat on the 2014 limited?

Old 04-26-2014 | 07:06 AM
SecondGear
Road Captain

I can't say if it's the best, but I just ordered this last night:
kit - http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...01-5259609a--1
pad - http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...01-5254609a--1

Quick Reply: Anybody install an adjustable backrest themselves?