2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody install an adjustable backrest themselves?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014 | 07:17 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member

I agree, cant say its the best but I certainly found the adjustable unit to be the best for me. I like the fact I can re-position myself while riding, not having to wait for the next stop. That was worth the extra bucks to me.

Old 04-26-2014 | 10:45 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior

I would never wanna fixed after having the adjustable. My last bike was fixed, I love this one.

Old 04-26-2014 | 10:52 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by The Nose
So what is a good backrest for the stock seat on the 2014 limited?
I find the adjustable one the OP is talking about perfect with the stock Limited seat. I also swap out a SG seat when I have the tour pak off and no passenger. I agree with the OP, the backrest is a little high with that seat.

Old 04-27-2014 | 05:07 PM
Popeye75
Novice
Default Anybody install an adjustable backrest themselves?

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I had the adjustable backrest on my '09 Road Glide but took it off before selling and buying a '14 Limited. I really missed the adjustable backrest so time to put it back on.

I never did like the bracket and like you, hated fishing the screws through. Time for innovation.... there isn't much behind the mid-frame air deflectors so Hmmm...... I used my trusty dremel moto-tool with the circular saw attachment and cut a square just the right size for the lever. Used some two sided tape and drilled two holes for the screws to make sure nothing came apart. Hey.... worst I could do is mess up the left side air deflector and if I did, they're not that expensive. The lever doesn't have much tension so I wasn't too worried about plastic mounted to plastic. So far, so good!

I've got so many good ideas from my fellow riders, hope I'm passing on one you can use.

Popeye75

Old 04-27-2014 | 05:42 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member

I installed mine and a friends. After installing we set the backrest in the position we liked and did not install the adjuster or cable. Have yet to find a reason to adjust it. Just back from a 650 mile trip and it was perfect

Old 04-27-2014 | 07:49 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Popeye75
Longtime lurker, first time poster. I had the adjustable backrest on my '09 Road Glide but took it off before selling and buying a '14 Limited. I really missed the adjustable backrest so time to put it back on.

I never did like the bracket and like you, hated fishing the screws through. Time for innovation.... there isn't much behind the mid-frame air deflectors so Hmmm...... I used my trusty dremel moto-tool with the circular saw attachment and cut a square just the right size for the lever. Used some two sided tape and drilled two holes for the screws to make sure nothing came apart. Hey.... worst I could do is mess up the left side air deflector and if I did, they're not that expensive. The lever doesn't have much tension so I wasn't too worried about plastic mounted to plastic. So far, so good!

I've got so many good ideas from my fellow riders, hope I'm passing on one you can use.

Popeye75

Very Clever!!! I like

Old 04-27-2014 | 07:53 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Popeye75

Popeye75

Very Clever!!! I like..