Sponsored by:

Wish the boom software was updated more often

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 04:30 PM
SecondGear
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Wish the boom software was updated more often

Has there been more than the 1 update released for the Boom firmware? I only remember seeing the one from Jan/Feb.

Yesterday it was the volume control. I drove to pick up a kid a school and everything worked perfectly on the way there. I turned the bike off, got the kid and stated home only to find that there was no volume and the volume control did nothing. Moving the same control right to left did change stations or change tracks on the USB but nothing for volume. I switched from FM->USB and back to FM hoping that would clear it. I also hit the power button to shut it down and turned it back on. That didn't work either.

Once back in the garage, I turned off the bike completely and then back on and everything worked again. It's not a major thing, but come on, it should just work. This is not the first time something will "soft lock" on the boom system. Sure, turning it off and back on clears it but 're-booting' really should not be the way to make something work.

I don't want them to release something every other week, but 1 update over 8 months seems like a really slow pace to me.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:32 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SecondGear
Has there been more than the 1 update released for the Boom firmware? I only remember seeing the one from Jan/Feb.

Yesterday it was the volume control. I drove to pick up a kid a school and everything worked perfectly on the way there. I turned the bike off, got the kid and stated home only to find that there was no volume and the volume control did nothing. Moving the same control right to left did change stations or change tracks on the USB but nothing for volume. I switched from FM->USB and back to FM hoping that would clear it. I also hit the power button to shut it down and turned it back on. That didn't work either.

Once back in the garage, I turned off the bike completely and then back on and everything worked again. It's not a major thing, but come on, it should just work. This is not the first time something will "soft lock" on the boom system. Sure, turning it off and back on clears it but 're-booting' really should not be the way to make something work.

I don't want them to release something every other week, but 1 update over 8 months seems like a really slow pace to me.
There have been two since I bought my bike in August but Jan is the latest.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:37 PM
bufalo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to me this weekend - exact same issue. No volume control but everything else worked. Only I could fix was to turn bike off, wait a sec and then back on. PITA

Old 04-22-2014, 04:38 PM
HD_Doobie
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Completely agree...

It would be nice if they would at least post an announcement that they are working on future updates, what it will fix, and when we could possibly expect it to be released.

Only issues I have had is the system not resuming where it was after the bike is shut down and restarted, and sometimes the same track just keeps repeating even when I push the toggle to the right to go to the next track.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:47 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

It seems these issues arise from starting the engine during the Infotainment boot-up process. I've been turning the bike to "ACC" to let the system boot while I'm putting on my riding gear. If I take my time getting ready, the system boot will finish before I switch to "IGN", wait for the BCM boot & hit the start.

It takes a long time to boot the full Infotainment system & just waiting for the disclaimer accept screen isn't near long enough. Need to make sure the NAV comes up to the map display, bluetooth completes, intercom is working, XM works (if installed) and CB functions. A bit of time in the garage checking when each of these functions is available/works after beginning the boot-up process will eventually give you a handle on how long all this takes. It's worse that waiting for Windows to boot on a slow, software overloaded computer.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Harttoo
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by HD_Doobie
Completely agree...

It would be nice if they would at least post an announcement that they are working on future updates, what it will fix, and when we could possibly expect it to be released.

Only issues I have had is the system not resuming where it was after the bike is shut down and restarted, and sometimes the same track just keeps repeating even when I push the toggle to the right to go to the next track.
It would be better if Harley had a means for Us to report issues to be corrected.
I had the volume loss issue once,shut off, turned on, corrected 2000 miles since with only problem that radio comes on after shut off when You are using media.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:46 PM
JRH232
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's happen twice to me too. It sucks if you don't notice until after you leave house and burn rubber down the street. Oh well.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:09 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 255 Likes on 182 Posts

This hasn't happened to me yet but I do things a little differently, I shut off the system (and the running lights) before I shut down the engine. And on the other end, I start the bike first before I turn on anything, usually doing that returns the system (in my case the music on the Flash Drive) right back to where it left off. But I agree about the updates, I keep logging on to the Forum and hoping I see a thread, "NEW UPDATES AVAILABLE"...hasn't happened for awhile though!

Old 04-22-2014, 07:29 PM
T_Dogg80
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only issue I've had with the bike is the one mentioned above. My volume control has been rendered inoperable twice now. Shutting the bike off and then back on fixed the problem as well.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:24 PM
SecondGear
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had the volume lock up on me a couple times and few other glitches. When it happens I find myself f'ing with the thing - doing exactly what everyone says not to do - I'm distracted trying to make it work.

This can't be a big thing to fix - so please fix it already.

I'd also like the GPS to function more like a GPS - but that horse has been thoroughly beaten to death in other threads. So start fixing it.

Any software engineer will tell you that it's better to make a few small changes on a regular schedule than it is to have bigger, less frequent releases.

As someone else already said, it would be great just to know that someone is actually working on it and that a fix will be released.

Quick Reply: Wish the boom software was updated more often