Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning - Problem with 21" wheel upgrade on SGS or any ABS 2014

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015 | 04:10 PM
adamsrotors
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 2014WtGld
If I was just wanting to run the 120 tire,I would get my wheel and tire then mount and try it before I spent another 250 bucks on something you may not need.Not all bikes are having the problem. I ordered my wheel about three weeks ago (pre fix) so I just went ahead and ordered the 130 tire. Just my 2 cents.
Originally Posted by sixshooter
I was thinking the same thing. I wasn't sure how big we can go on the front wheel, but after some research, it seems any bigger than a 21 requires trees or frame work, and I'm not going to get that far into it just yet. Just do a 21 and the correct tire and see how it goes before dropping $250 on the sensor.
this is simply not true.
you guys can't keep just talking in terms of wheel size...that's not the factor.
it's the TIRE size...it's all about rolling diameter.

there are a handful of 21" tire sizes, all of which act differently with different combinations of rear wheel/tire combos.
point is, if they are out of the 10% ratio front to back, it WILL screw up the ABS.
regarding the 120...it will NOT work without running a 55 series tire on an 18: wheel...period.

this thread has many pages...READ them and you will learn all of this, but glancing at the last couple pages isn't doing yourself a favor.

Old 01-17-2015 | 04:18 PM
2014WtGld
Intermediate

Originally Posted by adamsrotors
this is simply not true.
you guys can't keep just talking in terms of wheel size...that's not the factor.
it's the TIRE size...it's all about rolling diameter.

there are a handful of 21" tire sizes, all of which act differently with different combinations of rear wheel/tire combos.
point is, if they are out of the 10% ratio front to back, it WILL screw up the ABS.
regarding the 120...it will NOT work without running a 55 series tire on an 18: wheel...period.

this thread has many pages...READ them and you will learn all of this, but glancing at the last couple pages isn't doing yourself a favor.
I know for a fact that not all 2014 bikes have a problem with the abs with a 120/70/21 tire on front and the stock rear tire wheel combo. I have two friends both with this combo that hasn't had a problem. I talked to Hill country custom cycles when I ordered my 21 wheel and they said not all bikes they have sold wheels for have had issue. When I ordered my wheel I decided to go with the 30 tire so that I knew I wouldn't have a issue. But if I just wanted to run the 120 tire I would try it before I bought the (fix). Because not all bikes are affected by it.

Old 01-17-2015 | 04:57 PM
adamsrotors
Road Captain

your sure it had ABS?
it's not some random gremlin or a bug based on build date...this is the basic concept of ABS braking and how it works...wheel revolutions.
if so there must be some slight variation amongst 120 brand tires I guess...pretty hard to believe.

to clarify, ALL bike will ride and be usable with ANY combo...and a light may not come on till a particularly high speed even.
mine only comes on once I hit 70mph...it's just a matter of having fully functional ABS features and proper pedal/lever feel, so keep that in mind.

Old 01-17-2015 | 05:26 PM
2014WtGld
Intermediate

Originally Posted by adamsrotors
your sure it had ABS?
it's not some random gremlin or a bug based on build date...this is the basic concept of ABS braking and how it works...wheel revolutions.
if so there must be some slight variation amongst 120 brand tires I guess...pretty hard to believe.

to clarify, ALL bike will ride and be usable with ANY combo...and a light may not come on till a particularly high speed even.
mine only comes on once I hit 70mph...it's just a matter of having fully functional ABS features and proper pedal/lever feel, so keep that in mind.
Both bikes are 2014 SGS. Both bought new in 2014. One the dealer installed the wheel the other owner installed. Both have verified that their lights have never came on while riding and one said he knows for sure his abs works because he's braked hard enough to use it.
I wanted a 21 so I found one I liked and called to order it. The seller informed me that SOME 2014 bikes with the 21 and factory rear was having issues with the abs. But not all and that it seemed to be a software issue in the abs controllers on SOME of the 2014 bikes because the 2015 bikes wasn't experiencing the same problem. He then informed me that there was no fix as of then other than going to a 18 rear. That is when I started researching the problem. Talked to several dealers and looked at a lot of info on the net. Including here.That is where I learned the 130 tire was working with no issues. I don't know about you but I didn't pay 20k plus for a bike and want to spend another 2 grand on a wheel/tire that will disable a feature on my bike. Especially to do with the brakes. My friends kept telling me to just order the tire wheel combo which comes with a 120/70/21 tire,put it on and see. They hadn't had a problem and if I did then deal with it if it happens. Again (pre fix). I didn't want to spend the money for the combo and then have a issue and have to buy another tire. Now that there is a (fix) I could have bought the combo and if I had a problem then just buy the fix. But the 130 tire doesn't bother me so I'm not worried about the route I took. All I am doing is letting people know what I have experienced first hand. And that I wouldn't spend the extra money until I knew I had the problem.

Old 04-30-2015 | 04:02 PM
dino7712
Stage I

I just had an Extreme Machine 21" front wheel put on my bike last week. My ABS light only comes on at highway speeds (70mph). It sounds like the "Tracmax" is the way to go until Harley does something, which will probably be never.

Old 07-15-2015 | 05:08 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member

Anything new for options or is the tracmax the only way to go?

Old 07-15-2015 | 05:23 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

TracMax or the Harley Dunlop 130/60/21 part number 43100008 are your two options. At least so far.

Old 07-16-2015 | 08:16 AM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member

I heard a rumor that PM has a bearing that will correct the problem but they are only available with their wheels. I called them and couldn't even get info on it.

Old 08-06-2022 | 05:00 AM
beaubullie
4th Gear
Default 21"front on a 2014 streetglide

just my tuppence worth, but I've fitted a 21" front wheel with a avon cobra chrome 120/70/21 and abs light stayed on solid after about 10mph.
fitted avon 130/60/21 front tyre same problem.
fitted a thundermax abs compensator wiring loom and light still stays solid after about 10mph
any thoughts/
thanks

Old 08-06-2022 | 06:12 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by beaubullie
just my tuppence worth, but I've fitted a 21" front wheel with a avon cobra chrome 120/70/21 and abs light stayed on solid after about 10mph.
fitted avon 130/60/21 front tyre same problem.
fitted a thundermax abs compensator wiring loom and light still stays solid after about 10mph
any thoughts/
thanks
Maybe try this:

https://www.denniskirk.com/arlen-nes...prd/123998.sku

Quick Reply: Warning - Problem with 21" wheel upgrade on SGS or any ABS 2014