Sponsored by:

Rear shock lowering kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 07:54 PM
Dan h
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear shock lowering kit

I would like to lower my ultra and found that j &p has some brackets for 95 Bucks. That looks like a better , read cheaper way to go rather than 300 dollar shocks from harley. Has anybody gone this route before? I'm only 185 lbs so I don't think I will bottom out.i was thinking order them, trace the pattern, make my own and send them back, is that wrong?

Old 04-15-2014, 09:07 PM
DD Dont
Cruiser

I have some lowering blocks on my 14 SG. I went with 13" Progressive shocks for the extra travel and mounted them on the 1" setting on the blocks. So, still the same ride height, but with more shock travel. We were bottoming out hard on expansion joints riding 2 up. Much better now with the longer shocks and drop blocks.

Last edited by DD Dont; 04-16-2014 at 09:24 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-16-2014, 07:17 AM
klink58
Advanced
Default 2014 Road King

I put lowering blocks on my last RK and lowered the front with progressive shocks kit and we bottomed out hard enough to damage the wiring going to the rear lights.I think you should look at new seat.maybe shaved with gel added or low profile tires.Its not worth damaging your bike or hurting your investment over blocks.I'm the same wait and my wife is a small girl.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:55 AM
Dan h
Intermediate

I already have the sundowner seat, I was trying to get just a little more drop . Thanks for the replies, guess I won't do it. When parking I have the wife get off before I backup and I still feel a little shakey.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:24 PM
klink58
Advanced
Default 2014 Road King

I'd go with the shocks.It sounds like there a lot of money but if you have to repair your light harness your in the hole a lot deeper.If you drop your bike while stopped like I did because my feet weren't touching enough it saves you a bunch of embarrassment.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:37 PM
Dan h
Intermediate

Yea, I already layed it down, I don't think anyone saw me. The wife and we're able to get it back up again. I guess I don't get whats the difference of getting a 1" lowering block or getting 1" shorter shocks?

Old 04-16-2014, 08:25 PM
LilWick
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Put air on it. I have it on mine, drop it and the wife can step off straight to the ground. She can almost flat foot from the passenger seat. Even on the stops the tire doesn't hit the fender and it rides 100% better when aired up than the hand adjustable premium shocks that came on my SGS.
I did this myself, thanks to choppedbaggers.com less than $500 all in. When riding by myself at 80 PSI the height is easily an inch or so lower than with the stock shocks. Only drug the exhaust shield once...wife on board, air lower than it should have been and riding hard through a corner.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:23 PM
DD Dont
Cruiser

I love how your dog photobombed that screenshot

Old 06-22-2014, 05:51 PM
RD King / King Resort
Stage I
Default RD King Lowering Blocks

I have a 08 RD King with Hard leather bags. Any one know if there is a way to make the lowering blocks with hard leather bags?

Old 06-22-2014, 06:38 PM
Harttoo
Road Master

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan h
I would like to lower my ultra and found that j &p has some brackets for 95 Bucks. That looks like a better , read cheaper way to go rather than 300 dollar shocks from harley. Has anybody gone this route before? I'm only 185 lbs so I don't think I will bottom out.i was thinking order them, trace the pattern, make my own and send them back, is that wrong?
Road King seat is 3/4 inch lower and You don't have to worry about scraping Your exhaust,and You can still get a jack under.

Quick Reply: Rear shock lowering kit