Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing the waypoint

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 09:11 PM
mutantsfornukes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still getting used to the GPS. I don't love it, but it's definitely better than I thought it was on day 1. Some of these tips are definitely helpful. Keep them coming.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:31 PM
kc hog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you would like to see a couple of gps routes I created through Missouri send me your email address. The first one is 3 day trip, the second is 4 day trip.

Ride to Hermann, MO from Kansas City, MO (winery near the Missouri river)

5 states ride from Kansas City, MO

Last edited by kc hog; 04-16-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:32 AM
dwludwi
Advanced

Originally Posted by Roadsmoker
This sounds like the info I have been looking for. If you have time to figure out exactly how you did it, let us know.
Thanks.
Ok, I stepped through it this morning and writing this down from memory so hopefully this all makes sense.

While you are actively navigating a route (or at least started it), select the menu button (looks like 3 lines) on the lower right. Scroll up until you see "Destinations". Scroll through the list to find the waypoint you want to stop navigating to and select it. Select the menu button (again looks line 3 lines) on the bottom left of the screen. Select Stop. It should now recalculate the trip without the waypoint you selected.

Give it a try. It seemed to do what I wanted after bypassing a waypoint I might have missed or had to detour around.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:42 AM
Roadsmoker
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dwludwi
Ok, I stepped through it this morning and writing this down from memory so hopefully this all makes sense.

While you are actively navigating a route (or at least started it), select the menu button (looks like 3 lines) on the lower right. Scroll up until you see "Destinations". Scroll through the list to find the waypoint you want to stop navigating to and select it. Select the menu button (again looks line 3 lines) on the bottom left of the screen. Select Stop. It should now recalculate the trip without the waypoint you selected.

Give it a try. It seemed to do what I wanted after bypassing a waypoint I might have missed or had to detour around.
Thanks for that info. I will give it a try. I will let you know.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:45 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I discovered that as well today. "Waypoints" as I am used to them for manipulating routes, when used on my "other" GPS' are ignored (so to speak), you see them as you approach but they are not considered places to go, or stop, they are a just a point used for route perfecting.

If you go past it, the "other" GPS' just recalc the route based on the rest of the way points in line with your next stop or POI.

The HD GPS thinks that the waypoints are destinations and therefore you have to arrive at them. Which IMO is an issue.

I did a test today - real easy straight route but used WP's to force the route to take another road.

So I engaged the trip I set up through the GPS and was on my way. I decided that I will take another road to see what the HD GPS would do. As I passed my WP, the GPS said recalculating. And as others have posted in other threads here - even though I will still on my way to my final stop or POI, the HD GPS kept trying to recalculate to force me to go through or to my WP. I think this needs some adjusting.

Make POI's places where we have to go and WP's as references only for route calculations. Now the "funny" thing is when you import your trip, initially, you do not see these WP's. Once imported and you are ready to activate the trip, you now see in the list of the route your POI's (starting point and end point) and the WP's are now called Via Points.

So now you could have two school's of thought:

POI's as starting and end points using WP's as route guides, but you better hit them on your route or now how to get into your Nav menu and tell it to skip to the next WP/Via Point...

OR

POI's as starting and end points, using WP's/Via Points as your subsequent stops, but do not exceed 9 of them in one trip and you better hit them on your route or know how to get into the Nav menu to force the system to jump to next point and you better be happy with the roads that the HD GPS routes you through. :-)

Old 04-19-2014, 03:49 AM
Custardglide
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dwludwi

I'll give that a go, one thing that worries me personally speaking that if I was on a route and passing my "6th waypoint" and I got it wrong, by scrolling down my waypoints, would I know for sure it was the 6th, 5th or 7th waypoint??? definitely not, cos I've the brain the size of a pigeon. So assuming I'm on ride planner (cos I cannot fathom out Basecamp) would there be any detriment turning a waypoint into a "location" That way I can RENAME it with something that means something i.e entering or leaving a place or town that I know is on the way??
Does the voice on the satnav actually tell you the place as you renamed it??
Just a thought

Ady

Old 04-19-2014, 07:38 AM
emu309
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you are in Ride Planner you can build routes with as many locations as you want (allowing you to name each location). The problem you will encounter is; as you import to the 6.5 it will only allow 2 locations per route (plus 7 way points). It will then break your original route into segments ( with only 2 locations).

Old 04-19-2014, 07:53 AM
64deville
Intermediate

Just thinking out loud here but what if instead of choosing each waypoint as you go I wonder what would happen if you choose the last waypoint first if it would then let you go through the route without recalculating at each waypoint

Last edited by 64deville; 04-19-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:09 AM
Custardglide
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by emu309
When you are in Ride Planner you can build routes with as many locations as you want (allowing you to name each location). The problem you will encounter is; as you import to the 6.5 it will only allow 2 locations per route (plus 7 way points). It will then break your original route into segments ( with only 2 locations).
Yeah just found that out when I tried loading the routes in!!!! I guess I'll just have to HIT every waypoint, no pressure then with 22 hogs behind you in the middle of Holland then eh???
Basecamp is beyond the tiniest bit of intellect I have, why oh why did GARMIN can Mapsource, I can get my head round that!! Aaaarrrgh!!!

ADY

Old 04-19-2014, 02:54 PM
emu309
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Custardglide
Yeah just found that out when I tried loading the routes in!!!! I guess I'll just have to HIT every waypoint, no pressure then with 22 hogs behind you in the middle of Holland then eh???
Basecamp is beyond the tiniest bit of intellect I have, why oh why did GARMIN can Mapsource, I can get my head round that!! Aaaarrrgh!!!

ADY
what I have started doing when leading rides is: up load the route to the 6.5 and then follow the route with the touch screen. Doing this you will be able to see exactly where the route will take you. What I am finding is that when it varies from my intended route, I have either placed the waypoint slight off the route or I need an additional waypoint to keep it going where I want. The more I have done this the fewer problems I am having. I know this is a little trouble but better than leading a group into a dead-end road.