Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing the waypoint

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:51 PM
DGRF250
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't use the GPS for routes. I look at a map and go. Only use the GPS for hotels, gas, restaurants, or if I get lost. I get lost a lot, not by accident, most of the time I don't pick a destination, I pick a direction.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:52 PM
Roadsmoker
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kc hog
This was posted by me on another Harley Forum website a few weeks ago.

I bought a 2014 Ultra Mar. 1. I didn't find out about the insane 9 wave point limitation until after the fact. After calling Harley customer service they informed me they had several complaints about the GPS wave points and the maps data base being 2 years out of date. They said they are working to increase the wave point numbers. I suggested they remove the limitation completely. In our discussion I informed them I had rides with up to 138 wave points to keep the GSP on the planned route.

I told them I was very disappointed with the GPS. (it was a pile of junk until they remove the limitation and update the GPS date base). BTW the cost for a one time update is $149.00 per the website. The revision date is 12 2012. (unacceptable) I informed them I was going to mount my old Zumo 665 on my new bike (Which has free life time map upgrade).

Theirs way around the limitations. Create several routes with only 9 points including start and finish. You can use Base camp or Ride planner, save the route as hdroute.gpx file. Rename the file and copy it onto a USB flash drive and load it into the bike GPS via the USB port. I number them 1,2,3,4,5 etc.

As the first route is completed start the next route. I position the finish point and the start of the next route a couple of miles apart to give me time to select the next route.

I hope this helps
I too have learned to work my way around the 9 waypoint issue. Hopefully they will take care of that problem soon. The bigger issue for me at this time, is that when you miss a waypoint on your route, it will continue to try and route you back to that point no matter how far you go. That too, needs to be corrected and then I think it will work fine.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:45 PM
boot1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thought on the OP original question is not to use city as waypoint but a spot on the highway leading away from city. Most riders intent is not to go to the center of every small town but to find best route thru or around town. By making the waypoint just outside of town the GPS will calculate shortest route to that waypoint.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:17 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by boot1
Another thought on the OP original question is not to use city as waypoint but a spot on the highway leading away from city. Most riders intent is not to go to the center of every small town but to find best route thru or around town. By making the waypoint just outside of town the GPS will calculate shortest route to that waypoint.
You bring up a good point/question... What are some of you using as waypoints? There are POI's, places, and then just a dot created on the route to manipulate a route on a route planner.

Is the GPS recognizing the waypoint dot as a destination?

Old 04-16-2014, 07:33 AM
AmberWhisky
Cruiser

When you add waypoints via HOG ride planner make sure you zoom in pretty far too take a good look at the waypoint making sure it is properly placed on the road. If not careful placing waypoints, they can actually be off the road or on a side road or the wrong side of an intersection. The results of poorly placed waypoints is you might not ride close enough to them to trigger arriving at the waypoint. Then the GPS want to reroute you back to it.

Tips I have come to used for waypoints:
1. Always zoom in REALLY close on ALL waypoints to ensure it is on the road I intended, the correct direction of the road (the right side of the road not the left side), etc...
2. Do NOT place a waypoint in an intersection. This has bitten me several times. Either the waypoint was at the wrong side of the intersection and did not get triggered or the waypoint was triggered and the GPS has to figure out the next directs while the light is green. In other words traffic is flowing and I do not know which way to go because the GPS is thinking. I always place a waypoint a 1/4 mile before or after an intersection.

I have over 12,000 miles on my 2014 Limited. I use the GPS a lot and I think its the best GPS I have ever used once I figured out some of its squirts. The above waypoint issues I mentioned are a limitation of Ride Planner and human error, not the HD GPS.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:46 AM
AmberWhisky
Cruiser

Originally Posted by T_Dogg80
That is a great idea. I couldn't figure out what was what in the Infotaiment GPS. This way I can see what the next waypoint would be.

I know I've read a lot about how the GPS sucks on these new bikes, but until yesterday I had no idea how bad it was.

I think this is like anything else. It will take a little time to come to learn the GPS system and HOG ride planner. Once you know it well you might come to enjoy it.
I have been using it since August and think its the best GPS I have ever used. Their are some bugs that still need to be work out.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:56 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 255 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by AmberWhisky
When you add waypoints via HOG ride planner make sure you zoom in pretty far too take a good look at the waypoint making sure it is properly placed on the road. If not careful placing waypoints, they can actually be off the road or on a side road or the wrong side of an intersection. The results of poorly placed waypoints is you might not ride close enough to them to trigger arriving at the waypoint. Then the GPS want to reroute you back to it.

1. Always zoom in REALLY close on ALL waypoints to ensure it is on the road I intended, the correct direction of the road (the right side of the road not the left side), etc...
2. Do NOT place a waypoint in an intersection. This has bitten me several times. Either the waypoint was at the wrong side of the intersection and did not get triggered or the waypoint was triggered and the GPS has to figure out the next directs while the light is green. In other words traffic is flowing and I do not know which way to go because the GPS is thinking. I always place a waypoint a 1/4 mile before or after an intersection.

I have over 12,000 miles on my 2014 Limited. I use the GPS a lot and I think its the best GPS I have ever used once I figured out some of its squirts. The above waypoint issues I mentioned are a limitation of Ride Planner and human error, not the HD GPS.
Good to hear your praise for the system, gives us all hope that once we figure out the quirks we will all be happy. I did a ride on a practice route recently and the waypoints I placed were a little off my intended route, maybe a block or two. As I passed close to the waypoint (but didn't divert exactly to the W/P) the system kept trying to get me back to that exact point, got so annoying I eventually ended the route. I've since read that I could have just punched in the next W/P but I sure wish the system would at some point realize I'm still on route to the second W/P and stop trying to reroute. Another little quirk I guess...

Old 04-16-2014, 07:58 AM
dwludwi
Advanced

I had this same experience last week and was getting frustrated. I was able to figure out how to stop navigation to a specific waypoint but I don't remember the exact steps. I will have to step through it on my tri-glide when I get home tonight.

It had something to do with getting to the list of destinations on the trip, selecting the waypoint "destination" in the list and selecting "Stop". Once I selected Stop, it recalculated the rest of the trip from wherever I was currently at the time.

Originally Posted by Roadsmoker
When a route is started and a waypoint is missed along that route, the GPS will continue to try and route you back to that waypoint no matter how far you travel. Does anyone know if the missed waypoint can be canceled some way so you can continue on the planned route? thanks.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:14 AM
WildThang
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by AmberWhisky

Finally, a breath of fresh air instead of the "OMG the GPS sucks" . I was going to post the very same thing about where you place the waypoints...but you beat me to it...LOL. I agree that once you figure how the system works, The GPS works just fine...and yes there are some limitations with the amount of waypoints, but it is only a temporary problem until another firmware update.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:28 PM
Roadsmoker
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dwludwi
I had this same experience last week and was getting frustrated. I was able to figure out how to stop navigation to a specific waypoint but I don't remember the exact steps. I will have to step through it on my tri-glide when I get home tonight.

It had something to do with getting to the list of destinations on the trip, selecting the waypoint "destination" in the list and selecting "Stop". Once I selected Stop, it recalculated the rest of the trip from wherever I was currently at the time.
This sounds like the info I have been looking for. If you have time to figure out exactly how you did it, let us know.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Missing the waypoint