2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

De-cat or VA Power Duals?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014 | 06:10 PM
skybox ed
Cruiser

has anyone tried the ceramic coated head pipes? supposed to cut down on the heat issue as well. i watched a video from cycle performance (i think) and he showed a heat gun temp at 90 F after a dyno run, just inches past the heads. I was wondering if there was a problem with the ceramic cracking after time.

Old 04-11-2014 | 07:56 PM
MikeV3334
Advanced

Well, I don't know how the de-catted head would work but I just got my bike back from the Harley shop & drove it home this evening. I had the V&H power duals installed with a SERT & a dyno tune.
I tried to ask if they could get the ceramic coated SS Jackpot headers, but they didn't have them as an available vendor so I went with the V&H and they sent those out for the Ceramic coating. They came out nice it was a polished nickel looking finish, not quite as shiny as chrome but not bad. Really don't see it with the chrome heat shields. The ceramic was done inside & out. Not sure if the coating will crack, I hope not.
On my ride home there seemed to be no heat, can't say for sure cause it was only 60 when I rode it home but did not feel any heat.
Other than that with the SE Ventilator AC, Street Cannon exhaust V&H headers & the dyno tune I got 90HP & 110Ft.lbs.
Not terribly loud either I think it sounds pretty good. A nice throaty growl and not too "snappy" an exhaust note.
All in all, I'm really happy with the set up.
I'm just really loving this bike

Old 04-11-2014 | 08:15 PM
bikermikeee
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by MikeV3334
Well, I don't know how the de-catted head would work but I just got my bike back from the Harley shop & drove it home this evening. I had the V&H power duals installed with a SERT & a dyno tune.
I tried to ask if they could get the ceramic coated SS Jackpot headers, but they didn't have them as an available vendor so I went with the V&H and they sent those out for the Ceramic coating. They came out nice it was a polished nickel looking finish, not quite as shiny as chrome but not bad. Really don't see it with the chrome heat shields. The ceramic was done inside & out. Not sure if the coating will crack, I hope not.
On my ride home there seemed to be no heat, can't say for sure cause it was only 60 when I rode it home but did not feel any heat.
Other than that with the SE Ventilator AC, Street Cannon exhaust V&H headers & the dyno tune I got 90HP & 110Ft.lbs.
Not terribly loud either I think it sounds pretty good. A nice throaty growl and not too "snappy" an exhaust note.
All in all, I'm really happy with the set up.
I'm just really loving this bike
I would love to see pictures of that setup and better yet a video!

Old 04-13-2014 | 07:31 AM
MikeV3334
Advanced

I had the bike out yesterday. Took a vid of it hopefully I can get it to post??

Well it posted but the Vid wasn't too good really shaky I'll try again later
Sorry

Last edited by MikeV3334; 04-13-2014 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Wanted to get a better vid this one was not so good
Old 04-13-2014 | 10:44 AM
bikermikeee
|
Advanced

Looking forward to it!

Old 04-13-2014 | 12:51 PM
MikeV3334
Advanced

Well here is the Video, still a little shaky but the best I can do with my phone.

Hope you like it.

Thanks Mike

Old 04-13-2014 | 01:59 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bikermikeee
I wonder if fuel moto has any data from a dyno test showing what one of their header pipes do vs a de catted header. I like their systems, just trying to see if the performance increase justifies the cost. Im kind of a numbers junkie that way....
Fwiw: http://www.fuelmotousa.com/harley/ex...head-pipe.html I am going with the FM-03-FLH-HTC because of the ceramic coating. Runs cooler, better flow characteristics than non coated. Well worth the extra cost imho. I have ceramic coated headers on the Vette and they were worth it.

Old 04-14-2014 | 12:03 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

I have run Rush Racing Ceramic Coated true dual head pipes, coated in and out, since 2010.
Never had an issue with the ceramic in 30k miles on my '11 RGU, and still looked new, even though I had a bit of discoloration on the chrome right on the front of the right muffler (rear cylinder).

Put the same setup on my '14.

Old 05-03-2014 | 05:01 AM
D.Mon
Novice

Thanks for posting the video and your comments, Mike.

Do you have any issues with ground clearance?
Do you have an idea how much increase of power and torque is due to the Power Duals?

I have Monster Ovals on my 103 ci Road King and think about changing the head pipes, too. What can I expect?

Also I have read that the PD have the location of the O2 Sensors differnet from stock.
Do the cables need to be modified?

Thanks in advance for any information.
D.Mon

Old 05-03-2014 | 06:52 AM
blkrkg11
Cruiser

My friend went the first route and had the cat cut out (American Custom), with stage 1 breather, VH exhaust and Dyno. I went with a Fuel Moto system stage 1 breather, 2-1-2 head, 4.5 Pro Touring and Power Vision. The difference was notable when we'd swap bikes while riding. The Fuel Moto setup out performed his. I think it was a number of factors like the Dyno on his bike, the cut out cat and exhaust and not just the cat. I think going with a system designed to work together vs picking and choosing different components was the big difference.

Quick Reply: De-cat or VA Power Duals?