Sponsored by:

Ultra lower fairing vent opening

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 10:27 AM
bikermikeee
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra lower fairing vent opening

on the ultra lower fairing where the radiators would be on the limited is a plastic Filler
Piece. I wonder if anybody will make an aftermarket vent opening for that Area So You Can
Get more air flow through there. Seems like having that plug there is very un-aerodynamic and may have negative affect on gas mileage.

Last edited by bikermikeee; 04-08-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:44 AM
nchogfan
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This sounds like a great opportunity for an ambitious Ultra Owner. A new filler panel that can be removed and reinstalled or that has a vent door sounds like a great idea. Some guys remove their lowers during the summer months but this sounds like it would almost double the air flow of the one factory opening. I have the Limited so this isn't an option for me.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:03 AM
vondutchga
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remove the cover and get part# 57100151 and 57100152 (radiator screens) and make it somehow work. I seen some aftermarkets that ONLY come with the screen but it seems in winter (unless you of course don't ride in the winter) it would be nice to block a little extra wind.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:33 AM
CaptainKirk
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I sure hope the OP realized that filler piece opens and closes....... this week's old post resurrection highlight.....

Old 11-03-2015, 05:08 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Its a proven fact that with lowers "on" you get more air to the engine than with them off. The angle of the front of the lowers directs air into the motor instead of passing by it.
Slow moving traffic proves different but you cant have your cake and eat it too.

That is a great idea but I would want it to work like the vent door there now so if it gets cold or starts raining you can just reach down and shut it.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:26 PM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master
Received 137 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainKirk
I sure hope the OP realized that filler piece opens and closes....... this week's old post resurrection highlight.....
the VENT opens and closes...

the filler piece doesn't.

I have my lowers off and in my living room at the moment. I will try to get a picture of what he is talking about when I get home since one of the filler panels fell out when I got hit.

I want to send them off to get painted... eventually...

Old 11-04-2015, 09:23 AM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master

Unable to add the picture into the post, but here is Vision's bike (sorry for using your picture without asking, but she is a beautiful example and I forgot to take a picture last night)

http://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdfo...3203baa93b.jpg

Looking at the left side of the bike, right in the picture, you can see the vent is closed. to the right of that is the panel that the OP is talking about. I plan on getting mine painted to match and then some art work done on them.

There could be some aftermarket possibilities though. vents, lights maybe (not a very sturdy mounting area though with only 6 tabs holding it in) or maybe sculpted inserts.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:06 AM
rocknride71
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by bikermikeee
on the ultra lower fairing where the radiators would be on the limited is a plastic Filler
Piece. I wonder if anybody will make an aftermarket vent opening for that Area So You Can
Get more air flow through there. Seems like having that plug there is very un-aerodynamic and may have negative affect on gas mileage.

I've got vent openings on my lowers. Are they not all like this?

Old 11-06-2015, 09:16 AM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master

Originally Posted by rocknride71
I've got vent openings on my lowers. Are they not all like this?
there is also a panel in the front just to the outside of the moveable vent that is removable.

click the link for the picture two post up.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:38 AM
Beak
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 132 Posts

Its the filler panel where the radiators would be, if it was a twin cooled model. They use the same lowers, but add a filler panel.

Quick Reply: Ultra lower fairing vent opening