Sponsored by:

What coolant for twin cooled motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014 | 09:00 AM
JaboIam
Advanced

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
Thank You!. This is what I found on another forum:
I went to the local dealership and asked for the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) of H-D Extended Life 50/50 Prediluted Antifreeze & Coolant. They printed it out for me and I called the manufacturer listed as the "Supplier". It is supplied to H-D by Old World Industries, Inc. My question to the company was, "Is this antifreeze available for sale under any other label?"

Drum roll please...Peak Global Lifetime 50/50 in a gold-colored bottle.

I checked pricing on the internet and found it at the following stores: Pep Boys $9.99 but currently on sale for $5.99 gal, AutoParts2020 $10.29 gal, Walgreens Pharmacy $12.79, Tractor Supply Co $13.99,
NAPA $15.49. Still don't like having to buy a full gallon. But at least I know it is compatible with what is in my cars and $5.99 at pep Boys is a lot better then $23 at Harley.
Got some of this, but it's an amber color and definitely not the same red color as the anti-freeze in my 2014 Ultra Limited. Is this stuff really the same as Harley's brand?

Old 04-30-2014 | 10:15 AM
Greg2012FLHTK
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by JaboIam
Got some of this, but it's an amber color and definitely not the same red color as the anti-freeze in my 2014 Ultra Limited. Is this stuff really the same as Harley's brand?
It's the same orange color that is in my Limited. And If you read post 22 in this thread. I didn't just take the word of the thread I found on another forum. I contacted Old World Industries myself and asked them about the HD coolant and got the same reply. I have attached a picture of my thermostat leak from last November. You can see the color of the coolant. It is the same as the Peak Global coolant I bought about a month ago. Not sure why yours is red unless the dealer put a dye in it to help find a leak.

Attached Thumbnails What coolant for twin cooled motor?-20131110_162512.jpg  

Last edited by Greg2012FLHTK; 04-30-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-30-2014 | 02:47 PM
JaboIam
Advanced

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK
It's the same orange color that is in my Limited. And If you read post 22 in this thread. I didn't just take the word of the thread I found on another forum. I contacted Old World Industries myself and asked them about the HD coolant and got the same reply. I have attached a picture of my thermostat leak from last November. You can see the color of the coolant. It is the same as the Peak Global coolant I bought about a month ago. Not sure why yours is red unless the dealer put a dye in it to help find a leak.
Here's the color of my coolant.

Attached Thumbnails What coolant for twin cooled motor?-coolant.jpg  
Old 04-30-2014 | 03:05 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Looks orange...and WAY overfull...

Old 04-30-2014 | 06:33 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
|
Road Warrior

I'm thinking it looks red to you because it's in the white bottle against a black background. It is also over filled. The full line is the line across the bottle about half way up. The strait part of the line marks full when level, the angled part marks full when on the kickstand.

Old 04-30-2014 | 07:14 PM
Orange1200SS
Intermediate

I work at an auto parts store, the amount of different coolants out today is crazy. We have green, orange dexcool for GM, ford started using the dexcool as well, Toyota used bright red for awhile now its pink, a blue for various asian brands, oh and VW/Audi uses a speical green low silicate forumula. Gotta love progress I guess.

Old 04-30-2014 | 07:16 PM
Orange1200SS
Intermediate

Chrysler has also just come out with a purple coolant that is NOT backwards compatible with the previously used orange extended life. If mixed it turns to gel/sludge and clogs the water jackets. Be careful nowadays its not as simple as we all wish it was when it comes to fluids.

Old 04-30-2014 | 09:57 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Orange1200SS
I work at an auto parts store, the amount of different coolants out today is crazy. We have green, orange dexcool for GM, ford started using the dexcool as well, Toyota used bright red for awhile now its pink, a blue for various asian brands, oh and VW/Audi uses a speical green low silicate forumula. Gotta love progress I guess.
That's why I started this thread. I wanted to know what I could use in my Limited. Ended up discovering who makes the HD coolant (Old World Industries) and what the name brand of it was (Peak Global Lifetime 50/50)

Old 05-05-2014 | 01:19 PM
JaboIam
Advanced
Default My eyes are ok, afterall...

After seeing that the colors were distinctly different, I did some checking. Got my hands on the MSDS sheets for HD's antifreeze and the Peak Global Lifetime 50/50.

I have attached the Physical/Chemical properties for the two. Although the two products seem identical in every other respect, their colors are different - amber for the Peak and orange for Harley's antifreeze.

Attached Files
Old 05-05-2014 | 07:14 PM
davemc
Cruiser

FWIW, the bike I had before my '14 Road King was a bike very similar to the Harley twin-cooled. My '09 Voyager had a 103 engine with water-cooled heads. I changed out the factory coolant and used Engine Ice in it instead. It is a propylene glycol and ionized water mix, and I believe my bike ran noticeably cooler with it than with "regular" coolant. But it is not cheap -- about $24 for a 2-quart bottle. And, oh, it's blue, and it needs to be changed every year.

Quick Reply: What coolant for twin cooled motor?