Sponsored by:

GPS Map Inporting

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 08:58 AM
dhermann43
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Map Inporting

Has anyone had luck importing GPX files onto the navigation. I have had issues, saying it can't find the files. I made a few trips using Harley's ride planner, then exported as GPX. (Didn't change the file name.) I put the files on a 16 gb USB drive. (put them under a folder called trips, then under sub-folders for each trip) I stuck the USB drive into the bike and turned the bike on. The 6.5 boom screen started to read the drive and when it was done I went to the Nav screen to import. It tried but came back saying there were no files.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:10 AM
canes75
Intermediate

The GPX files need to by on the top level, do not put them in folders

Old 03-31-2014, 09:11 AM
white83
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhermann43
Has anyone had luck importing GPX files onto the navigation. I have had issues, saying it can't find the files. I made a few trips using Harley's ride planner, then exported as GPX. (Didn't change the file name.) I put the files on a 16 gb USB drive. (put them under a folder called trips, then under sub-folders for each trip) I stuck the USB drive into the bike and turned the bike on. The 6.5 boom screen started to read the drive and when it was done I went to the Nav screen to import. It tried but came back saying there were no files.

I can't remeber exactly but my memory is correct I don't think you can put them in under sub-folders. If you have different names on them it should work I have improted several maps from multiply programs including HD Ride Planner and didn't have any issue importing them but I think I had them in the main drive ( Root drive ) if my memory is correct.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:12 AM
WildThang
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget after the items you select the items for import, you need to select the import button from the middle of the scroll bar in order to initiate the transfer....

Last edited by WildThang; 03-31-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:55 AM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Has anyone had luck importing GPX files onto the navigation. I have had issues, saying it can't find the files. I made a few trips using Harley's ride planner, then exported as GPX. (Didn't change the file name.) I put the files on a 16 gb USB drive. (put them under a folder called trips, then under sub-folders for each trip) I stuck the USB drive into the bike and turned the bike on. The 6.5 boom screen started to read the drive and when it was done I went to the Nav screen to import. It tried but came back saying there were no files. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Take the gpx files out of the folders and leave them at the root directory.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:07 AM
dhermann43
Cruiser

Thanks guys, I'll try that. Does anyone know how many trips you can upload and store on the unit. Also I heard your limited to only 11 waypoints. So my thoughts are if your going somewhere you can make 3 parts to the whole trip, each having a max of 11 waypoints. Is this true, and will the unit hold 3 trips, or do you have to import each one.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:25 PM
emu309
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys, I'll try that. Does anyone know how many trips you can upload and store on the unit. Also I heard your limited to only 11 waypoints. So my thoughts are if your going somewhere you can make 3 parts to the whole trip, each having a max of 11 waypoints. Is this true, and will the unit hold 3 trips, or do you have to import each one.
Max number of waypoints per route is 9. The system will hold 18 routes. The number of routes is not really an issue as you can store your routes on a thumb drive and delete and import new routes to the infotainment unit as needed.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:01 PM
Lango 103
Novice

I have another issue with the new GPS. In an effort to learn how to use the routes and transfer the data to the bike, I did a couple of tests. First, I made up a route in Ride Planner and saved it to the USB. Put it in the bike, downloaded it and the first question was do you want to download all the data, I figured YUP, I ended up with 3 copies of the same file. When I went on the ride, the GPS didn't follow my route, it missed several turns and indicated turns where I knew I had not put in the route. It seems to have a mind of it's own. Any help would be great.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:58 AM
jkane13
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why 9 waypoints is not enough. Every GPS and every ride planning software, even the H-D Ride planner, has slight differences in what it thinks is the optimum route to take. If you want a specific turn and no other turn will do, you must mark it with a waypoint to force the device you add the route on to take that turn, and only that turn.

A good example of this is the Garmin 660 (and the 550 and 450 before it). I use it every day to ride to work and back. I do that because I have FM traffic and it tells me if there will be any traffic delays I want to avoid on my way. It seems like every other update of the software causes it to map the route home or to work differently. So, even within the same device, an update to the software will make it calculate a route differently than the last version did!

There is nothing you can do short of having routes that only have 9 turns and no more. This is the biggest failing of the GPS. Rushmore may be advertised as a product that had input from riders, but they were not riders who went on pre-planned rides!

Last edited by jkane13; 04-03-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:42 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Ok - looks like me, the GEEK needs some help with importing as well.

I read this thread and thought I want to try this, so I did. Here is how it went down.

1st - I am on a Mac, latest OS, using Safari.

Went to HD Ride Planner. Created a ride. Has a total of 7 places and 2 way points, total of 9 waypoints.

Saved my map. Exported map to desktop. Inserted 16GB USB, copied .GPX file over.

Turned on Bike, let Infotainment sys start up, go to Nav, go to menu, go to import, asks me what drive, select the USB drive, shows me two files - (only one file was loaded and there is nothing else on this drive) one called ".__NorthSouthLakeRun" the other called "NorthSouthLakeRun".

Selected this one initially ".__NorthSouthLakeRun", get an error. Try again and select the other one "NorthSouthLakeRun" it opens and shows me a huge list of places, a lot of them named the same. I now have a choice to select all, or select one or several of the places listed. 1st Try I select all, several minutes go by and I get a time out error. I select one point and it imports lickety-split but when called up in the Nav as a-place to go, I get nothing.

So... what is going on?

My first question is, why does the HD system see two files when asked to import one .GPX file?

2nd question - most important one - when I do choose the correct file - why does it show you a list? Which ones do you import if you can't import all of those points?

What am I doing wrong?

TIA for any help, guidance, or assistance. :-)

Last edited by ChristoHD; 04-03-2014 at 03:45 PM.

Quick Reply: GPS Map Inporting